8 year old accidently shoots himself with an Uzi

Intrepid

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 03:33 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Quote:

This, in no way, takes away from the fact that it was not very smart.

U are only emoting.

If I challenged u to show how firing submachineguns is dangerous,
u coud only say: "well, look what happened" as if many of the kids
who have used SMGs have been harmed. He is probably the only
person in American history, or in the history of the Earth
to whom this has ever happened, as distinguished from
tens of 1000s who have been killed by cars or ordinary daily activities.
He 'd have been fine, if only he 'd kept his elbows straight.
Many 1000s of kids have used submachineguns, harmlessly, including my neighbors and ME.

Saying that guns were meant to kill is no argument.
Killing is a perfectly proper thing to do, depending upon the circumstances.

David

Now you blame the kid for not keeping his elbows straight. You are one sick, sorry sob David. One accident is too many. I can't believe what a complete moron you are.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 03:41 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Quote:

How does this rationalize an 8 year old child
being allowed to fire an uzi and die in the process?

Its a sport, like playing ball,
which of course we all know has claimed the lives of many more
kids than firing submachineguns.

You equate a child shooting a machine gun to playing ball????? Not only are you a moron. You are a complete idiot.

BTW, I was asking the question of Gungasnake who I assume you answer for.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 3 Nov, 2008 04:17 pm
@Intrepid,
Quote:

You equate a child shooting a machine gun to playing ball?????

We have not discussed any machineguns
(altho thay r lovable too, but crew served weapons; a bit awkward for individual use).
Yes, I stand with Thomas Jefferson,
in advocating gunnery practice over ballgames. He wrote to his
12-year-old nephew that he shoud always take his gun with him
when he goes out for a walk, and he recommended that he become
proficient with it. Sadly, thay did not have access to submachineguns.
Jefferson thought ballgames were too ruff. Anyway, thay are both sports.

So, generally, my answer to your question is: YES.

Quote:
Not only are you a moron. You are a complete idiot.

Well, Doctor Intrepid, since u render your diagnosis of my mind
with such impassioned acrimony and hatred,
surely your analysis must be accurate.

Quote:

I was asking the question of Gungasnake who I assume you answer for

I am under the impression
that the denizens of this forum are free to comment upon
posts which are here to be found. If u think I was out-of-line
in answering, then Y don 't u complain to Craven ?

If u want some private time with Gunga, maybe u can ask him
for his email address or fone number.

I don 't know how receptive he will be; let us know how that works out.

David
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 11:15 am
@Intrepid,
You equate a child shooting a machine gun to playing ball????? Not only are you a moron. You are a complete idiot.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry but the "moron" happen to be more right then wrong. As I posted before when I was a child there was 22 short machine guns as part of a boardwalk game open to anyone with 50 cents or so and no one question kids happily shooting at moving ducks and boats targets.

Yes, a child was kill however children are kill in doing such safe things as mowing their parents lawn and in greater numbers by far.

My one uncle was kill by playing with a toy cap gun of all things and somehow ending up with a wound that the doctor did not clean out leaving paper inside! Blood poisoning and lockjaw then ended his young life Another Uncle this time on my father side was ice-skating and fell hitting his head and as a result did not reach adulthood.

The reason this sad event is news is that it is very rare indeed and it involves evil firearms and children. Sadly, kids will die from time to time before they will get a chance to grow up with or without machine guns being at the site.

Intrepid

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 11:19 am
@BillRM,
I too remember playing the "boardwalk game" target shooting with those 22 short guns. However, I also remember that they had a chain on them that prevented them from pointing anyplace except forward.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 11:38 am
@Intrepid,
Quote:

I too remember playing the "boardwalk game" target shooting with those 22 short guns.
However, I also remember that they had a chain on them that prevented them
from pointing anyplace except forward.

CHAINS.

Liberals LOVE chains.
The more chains the citizens are forced to wear,
the happier the liberals will be.
In the world of the liberals chains are the answer to all problems
and freedom is their eternal enemy.

In the Paradise of the liberals,
there is no freedom, only chains, and more and heavier chains.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 11:56 am
@Intrepid,
If memory serve me correctly there was two types of guns one type mounted to look like a crew serve weapons and the others type could be pick up and fire from the shoulder. The mouted one did not allow enough degree of freedom to move fire outside the target area.

There was chains on the type that was not mounted but I think the chains was long enough that it would be possible if not comfortable to aim fire outside of the target ares.

I have the feeling that the owners was depending on the person operating the range/game to keep things under control and the chains was a secondary safety factor.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 12:03 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:

I have the feeling that the owners was depending on the person
operating the range/game to keep things under control and
the chains was a secondary safety factor.

YEAH,
like the chains banks keep on their ballpoint pens in their lobbies.
Intrepid

Reply Tue 4 Nov, 2008 12:09 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Quote:

I have the feeling that the owners was depending on the person
operating the range/game to keep things under control and
the chains was a secondary safety factor.

YEAH,
like the chains banks keep on their ballpoint pens in their lobbies.

YEAH
The armed guards are the first line of defence against pen theft in the banks.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 10:35 pm

Police Chief Indicted for Boy's Uzi Death
By STEPHANIE REITZ, AP

posted: 5 HOURS 37 MINUTES AGO

SPRINGFIELD.Mass. (Dec. 4) - Three men, including a small-town police chief, were indicted Thursday on involuntary manslaughter counts in the gun-fair death of an 8-year-old who accidentally shot himself in the head with an Uzi that a prosecutor said he never should have been allowed to handle.
The club where the fair was held also was charged. The fair had promised shooters would have certified instructors in an advertisement, but District Attorney William Bennett said the child, Christopher Bizilj, was supervised by an uncertified 15-year-old boy.

'A Horrible Event'AP8 photos As his father watched, 8-year-old Christopher Bizilj died after accidentally shooting himself with an Uzi gun at a Massachusetts gun fair in October. A police chief and the men who brought the gun to the demonstration were indicted for involuntary manslaughter and other charges on Thursday.

Christopher, of Ashford, Conn., lost control of the 9mm micro submachine gun as it recoiled while he was firing at a pumpkin Oct. 26 at the Machine Gun Shoot and Firearms Expo at the Westfield Sportsman's Club in western Massachusetts.

Pelham Police Chief Edward Fleury was charged because he owns the sponsor of the gun fair, COP Firearms & Training. Two men who brought the automatic weapon to the show, Carl Guiffre of Hartford, Conn., and Domenico Spano, of New Milford, Conn., also were indicted.

An involuntary manslaughter conviction carries a maximum 20-year prison sentence, but the term could be five years or less for someone with no prior convictions.

Fleury and the club also were indicted on four counts each of furnishing a machine gun to a minor. A conviction on each count is punishable by up to 10 years in prison, up to $10,000 in fines and the loss of a firearms license for at least 10 years.

Bennett said prosecutors know of at least four children, including Christopher, who fired automatic weapons at the fair. He added that Fleury had wrongly assured Guiffre and Spano that it was legal for children to use the Uzi under Massachusetts law.

"A Micro Uzi is made by and for the Israeli Armed Forces and is intended to meet the operational needs of Israeli Special Forces," Bennett said, noting the weapon has a rate of fire of 1,700 rounds per minute. "It is not a hunting weapon."

Thomas Drechsler, an attorney for the club, said it continues to extend its "deepest sympathy" to the Bizilj family, but denies any wrongdoing. He said neither the club nor any member gave the Uzi to Christopher or any children, and weren't in the immediate area when the accident happened.
"The club is disappointed by the indictment," he said. "The club's intention is to plead not guilty and the club denies they participated in any criminal act."
Fleury, Guiffre and Spano did not immediately return calls for comment.
The machine gun shoot drew hundreds of people to the sporting club's 375-acre compound. An advertisement said it would include machine gun demonstrations and rentals and free handgun lessons.

"It's all legal & fun " No permits or licenses required!!!!" reads the ad, posted on the club's Web site.

"You will be accompanied to the firing line with a Certified Instructor to guide you. But You Are In Control " "FULL AUTO ROCK & ROLL," the ad said.

The ad also said children under 16 would be admitted free, and both adults and children were offered free .22-caliber pistol and rifle shooting.
Christopher's father was 10 feet behind him and reaching for his camera when the child fired the weapon.

Bennett said Charles Bizilj (pronounced bah-SEAL') had selected the compact weapon for his 4-foot-3, 66-pound son to fire after he was assured it was safe. He had thought the Uzi's small size made it safer, but the opposite was true, the prosecutor said.

"Although it might appear a heavier or longer weapon would be more dangerous, the small size of the weapon together with the rapid rate of fire made it more likely that an 8-year-old would lose control and the muzzle of the weapon would come close to his face, which is what happened here," he said.

The father was not charged because he was a layman and based his decision on information from others who should have known it was too dangerous, Bennett said. The 15-year-old boy who was supervising Christopher with the Uzi also will not be charged, he added.

Christopher's family did not immediately return a call seeking comment. His father has said his son had experience firing handguns and rifles but the gun show was his first time with an automatic weapon.

Fleury, the police chief, has been on sick leave since the boy's death, according to Kim Leahey, administrative aide for the Pelham Board of Selectmen. Leahey said the board would have no statement on the indictment until it consults its attorneys.

Fleury is one of two full time officers in Pelham. In a statement issued shortly after the accident, the board said Fleury's company was a "purely personal pursuit" and not subject to their approval.

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.

roger

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 10:48 pm
@roger,
Good. That was my understanding from the beginning.

roger wrote:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2008/10/police_identify_6.html

Quote:
"It’s all legal & fun," the advertisement says. "You will be accompanied to the firing line with a Certified Instructor to guide you. But You Are In Control " "FULL AUTO ROCK & ROLL

Why the father? Isn't it that "Certified Instructor" supposed to be the one who understands the recoil of full auto, and the ability of a youngster to control it? One more weak analogy - you put your kid on a ride at the amusement park. Should you feel a need to inspect the machinery for condition and design?

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2008 10:58 pm
@roger,
Yeah, turns out the "certified instructor" was a clueless 15-year old kid.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 12:59 am
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

Yeah, turns out the "certified instructor" was a clueless 15-year old kid.

People woud not be so eager to denounce,
vilify n condemn if a gun had not been involved.

If he had died from falling off a horse, or drowning,
or getting hit in the head with a baseball, instructors woud be LESS
maligned tho he be equally dead.
msolga

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 01:06 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
People woud not be so eager to denounce,
vilify n condemn if a gun had not been involved.

Well of course not!

Guns are weapons for the purpose of killing & activities like horse riding, swimming in rivers or the sea & playing baseball are not!
Intrepid

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 05:28 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Anyone who would equate horseback riding, swimming and baseball with firing a lethal weapon that has the sole purpose of killing is, IMHO, outside of the realm of reality.
cjhsa

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 06:08 am
******* lawyers. I'm surprised they didn't try to indict the gun manufacturer....oh, wait, Obama is going to fix that !!!!

We are truly surrounded by idiots. Interdpid is a glowing example.
nimh

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 06:23 am
@roger,
Sorry, but a father who takes someone else's word for it that it's completely safe to let his little kid handle an Uzi ... a weapon that, as the DA pointed out, "is made by and for the Israeli Armed Forces and [..] has a rate of fire of 1,700 rounds per minute" ... and lets his kid handle one under the expert supervision of a 15-year old ... will forever carry part of the responsibility for what happened.

If I were the mother, I'd never forgive him for putting my child in a situation that any bit of common sense would suggest might be way too dangerous. Handing your eight (!) year old kid a weapon with a rate of fire of 1,700 rounds per minute is not analogous to putting your kid on a ride at the amusement park, isn't that obvious?
cjhsa

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 06:38 am
@nimh,
I agree with you nimh, with an exception. Some 8-year olds are perfectly able to fire such a weapon, but not all 8-year olds. What bothers me about the aftermath is the lawyers going after people who had little or nothing to do with the accident. Indicting the people that just brought the (legal) weapon to the event shows an irrational fear of guns and a what would appear to be misplaced practice of law (false accusation).
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 06:51 am
@cjhsa,
cjhsa wrote:

******* lawyers. I'm surprised they didn't try to indict the gun manufacturer....oh, wait, Obama is going to fix that !!!!

We are truly surrounded by idiots. Interdpid is a glowing example.

Thanks for tribute, Mickey. It's nice to see that you are right in the middle. Now if you could only learn to spell.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2008 06:51 am
Every day, thousands of children are killed or injured in skateboard, bike, snowboard, car, and other accidents.

Where are the vehement anti-bikers and snowboard banners?

This was a tragic accident. Yes someone should and likely will be held responsible. But the antis and the lawyers and the liberal media are making this into a big production because it involved that thing they are so afraid of.

It still amazes me that liberals, and especially the media, cannot understand that 2a helps preserve their right to practice 1a. But, that's probably why they're journalists and not engineers, scientists, or doctors.