Fragmentation of the conservative coalition

spendius

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 09:11 am
@blatham,
Who has convictions on economic matters? Economics is based on "what works" without any reference to "what for?" and who knows what's going to work best in the next few years.

Convictions are for the "what for" not for the "what works".

Still- Bernie's a materialist and they only have one conviction.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 02:41 pm
And...Fukuyama slides over to Obama
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 06:48 am
Eugene Robinson (smart, level-headed guy) gives the reasons why he figures ...
Quote:
I predict we'll have Sarah Palin to kick around for a long, long time.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/30/AR2008103003755.html?hpid=opinionsbox1

I think this is a sound prediction. Considering what might bust her ambitions (and her supporters, foremost Kristol and the religious right biggies) there might be a personal or family revelation, she might make a serious blunder, or moderates might be successful in taking back control of the party.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 02:53 pm
Quote:
No matter what happens on Election Day, a battle for the soul of the Republican Party is well under way. McCain's defeat will hasten that conversation, but surefire losses in Congress will require the party to plot a new course regardless. Will Republicans lurch right, under the banner of Palin's social conservatism and faux-populism? Or will they try and recapture the middle, reconnecting with suburban voters and independents and Hispanic voters they've lost ever since 2000 by advocating competent government and pragmatic problem-solving?

Don't count on the latter. Reports the Politico's Jonathan Martin:

Few believe that the Republican party will respond to another brutal election by following a path of moderation, but conservatives are deeply dispirited and anxious to reassert the core values they believe have not always been followed by Bush, congressional leaders and their party's presidential nominee . Many on the right, both elites and the rank-and-file, see a rudderless party that is in dire need of new blood and old principles: small government, a robust national security and unapologetic social conservatism.

That sounds like a recipe for continued disaster, not rebirth.
http://www.thenation.com/blogs/campaignmatters/378925/mccain_palin_s_united_our_party
spendius

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 03:10 pm
@blatham,
Really obvious and really naive. Somebody posing as having political nonce who hasn't any. The world will pass on at the usual speed despite his lamentations and dire predictions.

The "deeply dispirited conservatives" will be cheered to see their opponents underestime them quite so much.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 09:05 am
Quote:
On some level, I sort of regret seeing people like this [Duberstein] hop onto the Obama bandwagon. Realistically, at some point the Republicans are going to come back into power and I’d prefer that to be a less-crazy version of the GOP. That’s going to require less-crazy people, people like Duberstein, to exert some influence and have some credibility.
http://yglesias.thinkprogress.org/archives/2008/10/24034.php

Oddly, not well thought out post by Yglesias here it seems to me. The numerous endorsements by moderate Republicans of Obama aren't coincident with change in party affiliation. This is really just a push back against the extremisms of the modern party and movement (and, according to these folks themselves, also a clear respect for Obama). All these people will still be around and functioning as Republicans. The question is whether or not they (and others of like mind) will organize in order to retake control of the party machinery.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 11:43 am
I think there is value in tracking the movements of these sorts of peopple over the next while as a means of helping understand who is running RNC organizational and PR machinery....
Quote:
As party leaders digested the disappointing election results, they also began to position themselves for the January election of a new chairman of the Republican National Committee, a post that will take on special significance, given the loss of GOP power at both ends of Pennsylvania Avenue.

All the party officials who have mentioned an interest in the race are traditional conservatives -- including GOP chairmen in South Carolina and Michigan -- but party activists are looking for someone who can close the gap with Democrats in technology and fundraising and otherwise rebuild the GOP infrastructure.

The RNC election is "the most important thing happening in the next six months," said anti-tax activist Grover Norquist.

Norquist is one of 20 conservative leaders who will be meeting today at the Virginia weekend home of veteran conservative activist and fundraiser L. Brent Bozell III to discuss the election results and the way forward for the conservative movement. Others expected to attend include Al Regnery, publisher of the American Spectator; direct-mail expert Richard Norman; and Leonard A. Leo, executive vice president of the Federalist Society, a conservative legal group.

The meeting is one of many formal and informal sessions scheduled for the next several months, as GOP activists begin devising a strategy for a period in the political wilderness. In years past, GOP officials have used such periods effectively, honing their message or finding new leaders, but they face serious problems among minority voters and in many of the biggest battleground states. Officials are divided over the best way back to power.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/05/AR2008110504266_pf.html
http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/party-brent-bozells-house
http://marcambinder.theatlantic.com/archives/2008/11/tomorrow_beltway_conservatives.php

Brent Bozell
Al Regnery
Grover Norquist
Leonard A. Leo
Richard Norman
Greg Mueller
Tony Perkins
Keith Appell ?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 08:48 am
Two more names come up here... http://www.cnsnews.com/public/content/article.aspx?RsrcID=38961
Quote:
Richard Viguerie and conservative pollster Kellyanne Conway.

The tone of the piece is very well captured in the title...
Quote:
Conservative Leaders Meet, Plan to Battle Obama’s Agenda " With or Without Republicans
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 09:17 am
And two more here... http://www.spectator.org/archives/2008/11/06/the-future-of-the-right
Morton Blackwell
TAS editor in chief R. Emmett Tyrrell
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 03:05 pm
And this fits the picture...
Quote:
Tony Blankley, who served as a spokesman for Newt Gingrich
http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/11/07/conservatives-cite-defeats-as-reason-to-move-right/
ehBeth

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2008 04:47 pm
@blatham,
2012, you betcha

heilemann at the power grid

Quote:
Not all conservatives are so enamored of this vision, it should be said. There are those who believe that, fairly or not, McCain’s adjutants will try, and with some success, to scapegoat her for their boss’s failure. There are those who think that her appeal is too narrow to allow her to unify the various ideological strands within the party. Others maintain that the damage to her image has been so enormous that it is essentially irreparable. And still others contend that she is simply too dim to be a major figure in our national life. When I asked Times columnist David Brooks if he thought that Palin could be the Republican nominee in 2012, he said, “I don’t.” When I asked why, he answered with a chuckle, “I just don’t think the human capital is there, to put it politely.”

But Palin will have ample time to become fluent"or, at least, to achieve the appearance of fluency"on national issues. As her just-good-enough performance in the V.P. debate against Joe Biden showed, she is a quick study, more information-poor than actually dumb. (Okay, I’m being generous here, but, hey, it’s not impossible.) Provocatively, the conservative blogger Patrick Ruffini compares the rehabilitation that lies ahead of Palin to that of Howard Dean. “The party elite seemed vindicated when Dean self-destructed [in 2004],” Ruffini writes. “But a little over a year later, Dean was elected DNC chairman with surprisingly little fuss … Whatever Dean’s faults, there was a sense that the party elite had bankrupted itself by running a series of poll-tested me-too triangulators. Dean’s easy victory at the DNC was the precursor of the grassroots’ long-term victory over the elite, culminating in the evisceration of Hillary Rodham Clinton [by Obama]. Does any of this sound familiar?”
blatham

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 07:45 am
@ehBeth,
hi bethie
I doubt that the Dean example is an appropriate parallel for several reasons.

Quite aside from the rather significant aspect of brains/knowledge, Dean's campaign demonstrated that he had serious smarts regarding organizing and, importantly, how to go about that task in the modern environment. There were very good reasons to place him as head of the DNC and this last election gives the proof to that puddin'. Without the Dean campaign's grassroots precedent and without his subsequent 50 state strategy, Obama's campaign would, I think, have looked rather different. Palin's possible future is as populist figurehead, not anything more substantive.

Further, Dean lost in a primary run and his reputation wasn't seriously damaged for Dem voters broadly. Palin is a much different kettle of moose, falling into disfavor with large portions of the Repub voters.

Last, it seems certain that Kerry's loss must have changed some notions among party strategists regarding Dean (and modern campaigning) but Ruffini's thinking here goes off the beam in a typically conservative way...assuming a small cadre of super powerful party controllers - the 'elite'. His use of 'eviscerate' in that last bolded sentence is another indication of what he gets wrong here. The present situation in the conservative movement where there is a seriously angry ideological divide between 'the base' and 'the RNC elitists' is of a far greater magnitude than anything the Dems suffered in 2004.
blatham

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 07:59 am
Here's my least favorite human's ideas on the matter...
Quote:
Newt in 2012?
In serious conversations among Republicans since their election debacle Tuesday, what name is mentioned most often as the Moses, or Reagan, who could lead them out of the wilderness before 40 years?

To the consternation of many Republicans, it is none other than Newt Gingrich, the former speaker of the House.

Gingrich is far from a unanimous or even a consensus choice to run for president in 2012, but there is a strong feeling in Republican ranks that he is the only leader of their party who has shown the skill and energy to attempt a comeback quickly.

Even one of his strongest supporters for president in 2012 admits it is a "very risky choice." But Republicans are in a desperate mood after the fiasco of John McCain's seemingly safe candidacy.

Republicans seem chastened by the failure of seeking moderate, independent and even Democratic votes. They are ready to try going back to the "old-time religion."
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/postpartisan/

For a redo of Bush/Cheney, imagine a Palin/Gingrich ticket. I expect Gringrich will fight to the death for the 2012 run. I expect this balloon from Novak is intentional and the beginning of Gingrich's 'campaign'.
blatham

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 09:10 am
Two visions of the path ahead...
http://www.rebuildtheparty.com/

http://www.redstate.com/diaries/erick/2008/nov/05/operation-leper/
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 02:10 pm
Brent Bozell on Fox... http://mediamatters.org/items/200811070010?f=h_popular
Quote:
BOZELL: Good morning, Bill, how are you doing?

HEMMER: I'm doing fine. Who was at the meeting?

BOZELL: Well, we're not divulging all the names.

Which is why I'm trying to get those names. Who doesn't wish to be known as in attendance and why not?
spendius

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 02:14 pm
@blatham,
I've been in that situation numerous times.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 02:50 pm
@blatham,
you need to spend some time over at gopusa, mr blatham.

the kids are all about the elite v palin right now

mebbe they're onto something , mebbe not - but gopusa tends to be ahead of the curve in the republican/conservative world (they were among the first to switch to 'conservative' language, 2 - 3 years ago)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 02:51 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
For a redo of Bush/Cheney, imagine a Palin/Gingrich ticket. I expect Gringrich will fight to the death for the 2012 run. I expect this balloon from Novak is intentional and the beginning of Gingrich's 'campaign'.

the gopusa gang has already started building Gingrich's coffin. He's in the elite, doncha know.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 04:20 pm
ms bethie

I'll keep an eye on the site.

I'm not at all sure that the movement conservatives of the Bozell/Foxfyre stripe will be able to maintain prior levels of control of the Republican Party. If electoral losses continue to loom as probable that will not bother ideologues nearly so much as it will the corporate interests, a rather more pragmatic element in the party.

spendius

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 04:32 pm
@blatham,
If electoral victories continue to mount, as probable, that will not benefit ideologues nearly so much as it will the corporate interests, a rather more pragmatic element in the Democratic party.

In fact the Dem's ideologues are now the empty glasses after closing time.

0 Replies