Fragmentation of the conservative coalition

blatham

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 02:51 pm
I'm sorry, spendi, if that post was addressed to me, but you're now invisible.

Here's Bill Kristol on Fox pushing Palin to go "rogue" - meaning, to step overtop of the deceased McCain campaign and walk forward into her rich and promising polical future as a/the leading figure in the conservative movement.

Partly, this is understandable simply as a matter of his attempts to salvage his own reputation (as a/the key promoter of Palin for the VP position) through blaming her polling stats on the campaign rather than on what she's said and done herself.

But note how critical the internal dissention has become with Kristol (and Krauthammer and others) pulling out the knives to cut up any Republican who expresses opinions which might work a hardship on the election. Anything to win, is the 'ethic' here quite regardless of what might be good for the country (as in having a party leader or president who believes man and dinosaurs walked the earth together or who is so bogglingly uneducated that she'd say what she just said on "fruit fly research in Paris").

http://crooksandliars.com/media/play/wmv/6668/23661
spendius

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 03:29 pm
@blatham,
It's quite striking how so many liberals reach for the ignore button at the first signs of grapeshot.

It is something of a passion which leads a person to traduce a party which carried 31 states in the 2004 election and which states seem to have played little part in the financial crisis. It's as if politics doesn't exist anywhere outside the megalopolitan "liberal" mindset. Which isn't very liberal under even casual scrutiny.
parados

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 03:41 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
It's quite striking how so many liberals reach for the ignore button at the first signs of grapeshot.

Is grapeshot British slang for several pints of ale along with whiskey shots?
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 03:45 pm
@spendius,
PLEASE...closed mindedness and lack of tolerance for opposing views in not strictly an affliction with Liberals. I has nothing to do with Left/Right, it is connected to polite/rude and social consciousness/"it's all about ME!"
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 03:57 pm
Quote:
Republican fears of historic Obama landslide unleash civil war for the future of the party
Senior Republicans believe that John McCain is doomed to a landslide defeat which will hand Barack Obama more political power than any president in a generation.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/uselection2008/barackobama/3260074/Republican-fears-of-historic-Obama-landslide-unleash-civil-war-for-the-future-of-the-party.html

"First sign" spendi? That's a convenient blackout on the last year or more of our interactions. You put yourself on the outside of things because that's where you're comfortable. I thought we might as well make it formal. It's a bloody pity too.
spendius

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 04:30 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
Republican fears of historic Obama landslide unleash civil war for the future of the party
Senior Republicans believe that John McCain is doomed to a landslide defeat which will hand Barack Obama more political power than any president in a generation.

Parties behind in the polls often put out such messages to galvanise their milder supporters. Threatening them with an arrogant Obama if they don't get off their fat arses. And a lop-sided Congress which is what a "landslide defeat" entails.

The expression "Senior Republicans believe" is hardly one any intelligent person need bother about. The rest of the sentence is posited on this belief and can be valued accordingly.

Bernie- I do not accept for one moment your assertion that I am on the outside of things. You seem to wish to play with your bat, your ball, in your garden with your nearest and dearest as referee. Some of us have read other publications than those you have read.

Nobody is going to think you have won any argument by putting me on Ignore or saying that I'm on "The outside of things." Everybody could win every argument if it was as simple as that.

I'm not sure there is an argument. The next president will be governed by events, such as the Ukraine and Hungary asking to be bailed out, and I'm quite confident that both candidates will discharge the office reasonably well given all the expertise at their call.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 06:00 pm
New republican campaign poster...

Mac and Whack
spendius

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 06:08 pm
@blatham,
Maybe a visit to the Headmaster's study is what is required at this difficult time in our history.

0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 06:29 pm
@blatham,

(Just experimenting with flash embedding.)
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 02:20 pm
This really continues a successful strategy for these people...disguising their extremism through the cover of the Republican Party. They understand that forming their own third party would not only present them in a more accurate and honest light (their extremism being evident by contrast and as a consequence of having to self define ideology and party differently from traditional conservatism) but would also split the right wing vote in two making electoral success almost certainly impossible except at very local levels.

With any luck, moderate conservatives will continue to regrow the balls they used to have.

Quote:
Social conservatives fight for control of Republican Party
The right flank is positioning to change the GOP's leadership and direction -- even if John McCain wins the presidency. Some moderates fear such a shift would alienate more voters.
By Peter Wallsten
October 28, 2008
Reporting from Washington -- The social conservatives and moderates who together boosted the Republican Party to dominance have begun a tense battle over the future of the GOP, with social conservatives already moving to seize control of the party's machinery and some vowing to limit John McCain's influence, even if he wins the presidency.

In skirmishes around the country in recent months, evangelicals and others who believe Republicans have been too timid in fighting abortion, gay marriage and illegal immigration have won election to the party's national committee, in preparation for a fight over the direction and leadership of the party
http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-na-gop28-2008oct28,0,3963149.story
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 02:33 pm
I am going to be VERY HAPPY to vote for Sarah Palin,
and I earnestly hope to see her as President !

David
blatham

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 02:44 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Absolutely. The new face of american conservatism...Bible Spice.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 04:05 pm
@blatham,
McCain is not that way.
I don't believe that Sarah Palin is known to be a religious fanatic.
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 04:17 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
I don't believe that Sarah Palin is known to be a religious fanatic.

Palin and the Christianist tradition
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 04:24 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Absolutely. The new face of american conservatism...Bible Spice.

Bible spice is good. I also like 'Caribou Barbie.'

Cycloptichorn
blatham

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2008 04:42 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Bible spice is good. I also like 'Caribou Barbie.'

Also good.

We ought to request submissions and give an O'Reilly coffee mug to the winner.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 08:30 am
Quote:
The Sarah Party
By Robert Stacy McCain on 10.28.08 @ 8:20PM

SHIPPENSBURG, Pa. -- I've got news for the Christopher Buckleys of the world -- if Sarah Palin is enough to make you decide you're not a Republican, you're not a Republican.
http://spectator.org/blog/2008/10/28/the-sarah-party

It is happening already. This truly demented wing of the party is going to fight with serious purpose and desperation to consolidate power within the Republican Party. The outcomes - amazingly! - is uncertain.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 08:33 am
@blatham,
I will be filled with JOY when I vote for Sarah
BELIEVE it

David
spendius

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 08:44 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Bob Dylan was once asked (about 1965) what he would sell out to if he ever sold out. He replied, "Ladies Garments."

She does look a bit Dizzy though you must admit Dave. If you're lost in the rain in Juarez and it's Easter time too.

0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2008 08:50 am
As I've said over on Foxfyre's thread re the future of american conservatism, the first thing we are going to witness after Nov 4 will be a merciless evisceration/disembowlment of John McCain. But it's begun already. From Cavuto at Fox...
Quote:
You rail against big government, yet continue to push cockamamie spending plans that make a mockery of it. That's why you're losing right now, Senator McCain.

Not because you don't have the courage of your convictions. But because on economic matters, you have no convictions, period
http://crooksandliars.com/