Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2008 08:21 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Quote:
what's best for shooting snakes?

A 20-gauge shotgun.
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2008 08:25 am
@gungasnake,
real good for obnoxious assholes, burglars and other snakkky types as well....and cheap.
kuvasz

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2008 08:27 am
@gungasnake,
i'm sticking with a remington 5mm rimfire, thanks

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f169/sheffieldshootr/Rem592M-3.jpg

one varmint, one bullet. any more makes you a girlyman
gungasnake

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2008 11:40 am
@kuvasz,
Govt. manuals from places which abound in really dangerous snakes all say never to use rifles or pistols on snakes; lotsa bad things can happen. 12 or 20 Gauge and #6 shot.
gungasnake

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2008 11:42 am
@Bi-Polar Bear,
For burglars.... No burglar worth his salt is ever going to leave what appears to be a bottle of expensive wine lying around; get over to Erols or Blockbuster and check out a copy of "Arsenic and Old Lace" and see if you can't figure it out....
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2008 11:59 am
@gungasnake,
i don't consider snakes varmints and the only thing i use to kill them (the poisonous copperheads in my old Georgia yard where i killed several) were shotguns, and um, lawnmowers.

but rats and crows (on the ground!) blow up real nice with a 5mm shell.

and seriously there fella' some of us liberals are a part of the gun culture who know that a firearm is a tool and live the motto, the right tool for the right job, but thanks for the information since I know that you were only trying to inform.

ps i said before that i loved my old remington 5mm rimfire and if you can, check it out its a sweeeet gun to use.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2008 12:22 pm
@Butrflynet,
Good catch on the H2O man link - news to me.

The answer is: None of those are considered assault weapons.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 01:36 am
@gungasnake,
http://san1.atlanta.gbhinc.com/GB/113572000/113572382/pix308556234.jpg
That's not an assult weapon as it is not capable of selective fire between semi-automatic and an automatic mode.
gungasnake

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 06:56 am
@InfraBlue,
I don't see full auto mode as necessary for an assault weapon. That thing meets the functional description, i.e. light, light ammo, reasonably accurate, rapid (aimed) follow-on shots.

What I'd really want for the military if I were in charge of it would be a new and heavier rimfire cartridge, 65 - 80 gr bullets at 2500 fps or thereabouts, ideally that inertia action which Benelli uses for shotguns although a (short throw) lever action would do, detachable magazines, very light like the Henry rifle, and cleaned by pulling a bore snake through the barrel. The one other feature I'd insist on would be a closing chamber like Marlin uses for its 38A model 22 and its 44 caliber lever guns. A grain of sand would have to work really really hard to get into that.
0 Replies

Always Eleven to him

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 07:08 am
@cjhsa,
According to the 1994 Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, Section 110102(b), a semi-automatic assault weapon is

Quote:
(B) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of--
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii) a bayonet mount;
(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
(v) a grenade launcher;

Soooooo based on that definition, all of the weapons in the photo are "semi-automatic assault weapons."
H2O MAN

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 07:32 am
@Always Eleven to him,

Mr. Green I don't own any assault weapons and there is no such thing as a semi-automatic assault weapon.

http://www.athenswater.com/images/NightFighter.jpg

Most liberals couldn't pick out a real assault weapon even if you offered them a government hand out.

http://www.athenswater.com/images/T56SHTF-PKG.jpg
gungasnake

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 07:48 pm
@Always Eleven to him,
Quote:
(B) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of--
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii) a bayonet mount;
(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
(v) a grenade launcher;

That is precisely what I noted as a political definition, i.e. anything more than a little bit scary looking to demoKKKrats; the functional definition is different.
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 03:31 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
anything more than a little bit scary looking to demoKKKrats; the functional definition is different.

the only thing scary about any of this is that some people think it's a great idea for just anyone to be better armed than the police.

i agree that guns don't kill people, people kill people. and some people are just too f^cked up to to be trusted with a weapon.

for instance, i find it a little troubling that a person who constantly rattles around about "demoKKKrats" and Klintler" and "Oinkbama" can possess anything heftier than a straw and some spit wads. Laughing

H2O MAN

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 05:27 pm
@Always Eleven to him,
Always Eleven to him wrote:

According to the 1994 Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, Section 110102(b)

You are quoting a definition that is no longer valid. It and the act it was included in expired 09/13/2004.

The 1994 ban, signed by then President Clinton, outlawed 19 types of military-style assault weapons.
A clause directed that the ban expire unless Congress specifically reauthorized it, Congress did nothing and the ban expired.

0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2008 07:08 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
Quote:
i agree that guns don't kill people, people kill people. and some people are just too f^cked up to to be trusted with a weapon....

Then they should be locked up. Pretty simple and it worked well into the 1900s without anybody ever perceiving any sort of a conflict with a basic right like the 2'nd amendment.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2008 05:51 am
@H2O MAN,
My next deer rifle. DPMS Panther Sportical. I'm holding off hoping they will offer it in .308 as it currently is only available in .223.

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/dpms.gif
gungasnake

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2008 06:04 am
@cjhsa,
Best general purpose hunting rifle for North America is the Marlin lever gun in 44-mag or 45 LC.

0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2008 06:09 am
@cjhsa,
Consider the ArmaLite AR-10 A4 Carbine
It's a .308 and it uses new CMI mags.

http://www.armalite.com/images/large%20images%5CRifles%5CAR10A4_CAR%20large.jpg
cjhsa

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2008 06:56 am
@H2O MAN,
What's the price point on that Armalite?
H2O MAN

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2008 07:29 am
@cjhsa,
cjhsa wrote:

What's the price point on that Armalite?

Shop around, you should be able to buy one for about $1100.00 - maybe less.