Palin says she is an in-tell-ex-you-al

JTT

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 06:55 pm
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
It takes guts to refuse to be tried by a biased court.

Yup, Sarah was sure raked over the coals. It was damn unfair of the media to have asked such tough questions. I hear that she has demanded that the rest of her interviews are "open book" interviews. She's bringing a dictionary and encyclopedia on CD Rom.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 06:59 pm
They've treated Palin with kid gloves. But, it's impossible to overlook how inadequate she is. Biased reporting? I don't think so.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 07:00 pm
@Brandon9000,
Oh, I'm not trying to have an argument with you, Brand (sorry for the earlier typo). Just injecting a little levity into a subject which doesn't merit much serious consideration. Actually, the problem with most so-called "liberals" is that they take you right-wing conservatives seriously and try to argue back and forth. I don't play the "gotcha" game. There's a reason why I call myself "Merry."
Green Witch

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2008 07:05 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Quote:
Actually, the problem with most so-called "liberals" is that they take you right-wing conservatives seriously...

I take Bush Co. and his disastrous policies very seriously. I avoid debating with conservative locals because it is futile.
Brandon9000

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 05:04 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
It takes guts to refuse to be tried by a biased court.

Yup, Sarah was sure raked over the coals. It was damn unfair of the media to have asked such tough questions. I hear that she has demanded that the rest of her interviews are "open book" interviews. She's bringing a dictionary and encyclopedia on CD Rom.

As I said, liberals simply mock when they cannot present facts. As for the fairness of the media, I think the idea is that it's unfair of them to give uncritical interviews to the Obama campaign and interviews designed only to trap and discredit to the McCain campaign. If you were being interviewed by an organization whose past history and specific questions suggested that it was a disrespectful interview designed only to discredit, you might refuse to play too. The point, is that she could obvously have named a newspaper had she chosen to, but her initial answer, "all of them," had been perfectly sufficient.
Brandon9000

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 05:07 am
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

Oh, I'm not trying to have an argument with you, Brand (sorry for the earlier typo). Just injecting a little levity into a subject which doesn't merit much serious consideration. Actually, the problem with most so-called "liberals" is that they take you right-wing conservatives seriously and try to argue back and forth. I don't play the "gotcha" game. There's a reason why I call myself "Merry."

I think that what you've just said is baloney, and here's the demonstration. Let's engage in a fact based discussion of Palin's abilities. You start. You can't and won't. QED.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 05:09 am
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:

Quote:
Actually, the problem with most so-called "liberals" is that they take you right-wing conservatives seriously...

I take Bush Co. and his disastrous policies very seriously. I avoid debating with conservative locals because it is futile.

The typical statement of someone who's in the right is, "let's debate." The typical statement of someone who's wrong is, "I could beat you in a debate any time, but, you know what? I won't because it's beneath my dignity." The fact that you can mock but cannot discuss doesn't suggest that you're right. It suggests that you're wrong.
0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 05:24 am
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
Unless she resented the fact that it was a hostile interview and simply refused to gratify Couric.

I think Palin could have displayed some grace and savvy under the pressure of the Couric interview instead of cocking the trigger and witholding information-- she damaged herself on her very own, no one helped her.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 05:49 am
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
The point, is that she could obvously have named a newspaper had she chosen to, but her initial answer, "all of them," had been perfectly sufficient.

Bullshit. No one reads all newspapers.
Woiyo9

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 06:21 am
@Brandon9000,
What would you expect from the left?

They want to ignore facts. She must be really dumb to beat back a multi term Governor of her party in Alaska to become it's most effective Gov. Her service on Energy Commissions as well as her service as Mayor are also to be ignored by the liberals.

See, only a Jr. Senator with less time in public service than she can be called "experienced".
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 07:42 am
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

I think Palin is an elitist.

I think she's an illegal alien. She snuck in from Alaska for God's sake!

Hey, at least she's not a traitor, like you.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2008 09:25 am
@Brandon9000,
No, not Barndan - I'd spell it Boredom.

BBB
Brandon9000

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2008 05:53 am
@patiodog,
patiodog wrote:

Quote:
The point, is that she could obvously have named a newspaper had she chosen to, but her initial answer, "all of them," had been perfectly sufficient.

Bullshit. No one reads all newspapers.

Correct, but had it been Obama who had made the statement, she would have understood that he meant many, and not pressed further in an insulting attempt to prove that he didn't read the news.
Brandon9000

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2008 05:54 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

No, not Barndan - I'd spell it Boredom.

BBB

As I said, the liberals only mock, because they cannot support any of their opinions with argument.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2008 06:03 am
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
Correct, but had it been Obama who had made the statement, she would have understood that he meant many, and not pressed further in an insulting attempt to prove that he didn't read the news.

Also likely bullshit, assuming he reads any newspapers. (And mebbe he does, mebbe he doesn't.) And assuming Couric would have pursued this line of questioning with him, which one also wonders at. After all, he's not the candidate who's demonstrated a profoundly provincial attitude and a questionable awareness of the larger world to this point.

But I've actually known a couple of people (semi-retired journalists both) who would read most of 8 or 10 newspapers a day (so, about as close to "all of them" as you could manage), and they'd actually, you know, be able to name them, and tell you which ones they leaned on heavily and which ones they just read to hit the main points.

And maybe Palin does read a bunch of newspapers and was, I don't know, flustered or afraid of offending some rag by omitting their name or something, I don't know. But she handled the situation with a profound lack of aplomb, and this was just Katie Couric. What will she do when the ****'s really hitting the fan and there are real antagonists (like, you know, "the terrorists") in the mix.

I've gotta say, I'm sick of blind loyalty from American political partisans of all stripe. Your person can screw up and still be your person, you can agree on some points and not others, but we've all consented to this climate of "MY GUY'S ALWAYS RIGHT YOUR GUY'S ALWAYS WRONG," and it's just ******* ridiculous.

And I'm singling you out as an example because I found you particularly smug, priggish, and obstinate.
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 09:44 am
@patiodog,
patiodog wrote:

Quote:

Also likely bullshit, assuming he reads any newspapers. (And mebbe he does, mebbe he doesn't.) And assuming Couric would have pursued this line of questioning with him, which one also wonders at. After all, he's not the candidate who's demonstrated a profoundly provincial attitude and a questionable awareness of the larger world to this point.

But I've actually known a couple of people (semi-retired journalists both) who would read most of 8 or 10 newspapers a day (so, about as close to "all of them" as you could manage), and they'd actually, you know, be able to name them, and tell you which ones they leaned on heavily and which ones they just read to hit the main points.

And maybe Palin does read a bunch of newspapers and was, I don't know, flustered or afraid of offending some rag by omitting their name or something, I don't know. But she handled the situation with a profound lack of aplomb, and this was just Katie Couric. What will she do when the ****'s really hitting the fan and there are real antagonists (like, you know, "the terrorists") in the mix.

I've gotta say, I'm sick of blind loyalty from American political partisans of all stripe. Your person can screw up and still be your person, you can agree on some points and not others, but we've all consented to this climate of "MY GUY'S ALWAYS RIGHT YOUR GUY'S ALWAYS WRONG," and it's just ******* ridiculous.

And I'm singling you out as an example because I found you particularly smug, priggish, and obstinate.

Ah, name calling, the lowest form of debate. As I've said in this thread several times now, she could obviously have named at least one such as the New York Times, but probably refused to play Couric's game. I don't suppose you actually have anything to say about Palin's campaign platform? No, I thought not.
patiodog

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 11:12 am
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
Ah, name calling, the lowest form of debate.

<schniff> I was merely being descriptive, and explaining why I responded to you and not, say, BBB.

Quote:
As I've said in this thread several times now, she could obviously have named at least one such as the New York Times, but probably refused to play Couric's game.

Then she might have said so, and challenged Couric on her game-playing, rather than repeating that she reads "all of them." As I stated, I find this assertion absurd, and, again, even if her response was motivated as you claim it was, I find her clumsy handling of the situation startlingly reminiscent of Bush the Younger, who I believe has been a spectacular disaster as a president.

Quote:
I don't suppose you actually have anything to say about Palin's campaign platform?

Well, there's the usual evangelical litany: Roe v. Wade, sex education, that lot of stuff. Which, since it's ideologically motivated, doesn't really demand much discussion. She believes what she believes, and it informs her positions on certain issues. I believe differently.

I disagree with her pro-death penalty stance. WOuld be more relevant if I had to consider her as a gubernatorial candidate than as a presidential candidate, particularly in a state (like Alaska) that does not have a death penalty.

As a Californian, I find her strategy of lowering property taxes and promoting expansion in Wasilla by incurring public debt troubling. See, it's the same strategy that California voters have embraced and during my life time it played a large part in the decline of basic state-run services like public education in California. Not that Palin/Wasilla are unique in this regard. I saw the same ideas gaining support in Washington State when I lived there. (Perhaps the Pacific Northwest just needs to learn from the mistakes of their hated neighbor to the south.)

She's shown some initiative in cutting pork -- seeking less $$ in earmarks than her predecessar os governor, for instance -- which I appreciate. That she took credit for shooting down Ted Stevens's bridge is disingenuous, but, whatever, that's politics.

As a proponent of some form of universal health care, I disagree with Palin's stance on allowing health care to be/remain a completely free-market affair. (She has mentioned offering incentives for employers to offer health insurance, which is nice, but it doesn't address folks who are unemployed or who are employed in multiple part-time jobs.)

I object to the ongoing claim that drilling in ANWR will somehow reduce dependence on foreign oil. All oil is sold on the world market. Increasing supply by opening ANWR to drilling might bring down cost (depending on how the speculators who drive the market feel about things), but it's not going to appreciably change the degree to which we are beholden to other nations for petroleum. Frankly, I'm not strongly opposed to drilling there, but neither do I see it as imperative, and I see it as primarily beneficial to the industry folks who get to find and extract the stuff.

There's been some fluff about her opposition to more stringent regulation of one or more mining operations that could effect fisheries. I don't know if the proposed regulations would have been superfluous enough, but, having grown up next to a pit mine where negligence resulted in the poisoning of numerous wells and having talked to people in Washington who'd seen the dramatic decline of the fisheries in the past half century, I am sensitive to the long term hazards of extraction industry to natural resources.

And there's the Iraq war thing, but you can't really believe what any politician says about what they're foreign policy activities will be before they take office, can you?

And so, heigh ho, it's off to the park I go.

Prig.
revel

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 04:13 pm
I don't see how anyone can claim the negative image of Palin is mostly because of leftist hype after watching the debate with all her winking and canned folksy words.

However, here is another example.

“I'm not going to be out there judging individuals, sitting in a seat of judgment telling what they can and can't do, should and should not do,” she said. “But I certainly can express my own opinion here and take actions that I believe would be best for traditional marriage and that's casting my votes and speaking up for traditional marriage that, that instrument that it's the foundation of our society is that strong family and that's based on that traditional definition of marriage, so I do support that.”

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/10/20/palin-and-mccain-disagree-on-federal-gay-marriage-ban/

Here is another one:

Quote:
Couric: You’ve cited Alaska’s proximity to Russia as part of your foreign policy experience. What did you mean by that?

Sarah Palin: That Alaska has a very narrow maritime border between a foreign country, Russia, and, on our other side, the land-boundary that we have with Canada. It’s funny that a comment like that was kinda made to … I don’t know, you know … reporters.

Couric: Mocked?

Palin: Yeah, mocked, I guess that’s the word, yeah.

Couric: Well, explain to me why that enhances your foreign-policy credentials.

Palin: We don’t have to second-guess what their efforts would be if they believe … that it is in their country and their allies, including us, all of our best interests to fight against a regime, especially Iran, who would seek to wipe them off the face of the earth. It is obvious to me who the good guys are in this one and who the bad guys are. The bad guys are the ones who say Israel is a stinking corpse and should be wiped off the face of the earth. That’s not a good guy who is saying that. Now, one who would seek to protect the good guys in this, the leaders of Israel and her friends, her allies, including the United States, in my world, those are the good guys.

Palin: Well, it certainly does, because our, our next-door neighbors are foreign countries, there in the state that I am the executive of. And there…

Couric: Have you ever been involved in any negotiations, for example, with the Russians?

Palin: We have trade missions back and forth, we do. It’s very important when you consider even national security issues with Russia. As Putin rears his head and comes into the air space of the United States of America, where do they go? It’s Alaska. It’s just right over the border. It is from Alaska that we send those out to make sure that an eye is being kept on this very powerful nation, Russia, because they are right there, they are right next to our state.

http://2lesbosgoinatit.wordpress.com/2008/09/26/watch-read-sarah-palin-katie-couric-day-2-25th-interview-transcript-video/
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 09:18 pm
@revel,
So, since you show a complete disinterest in anything related to substantive campaign issues, I have to suppose that you agree with here about everything.
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2008 09:20 pm
@patiodog,
At last, thank you.

I have to believe that if we're producing petroleum, we can dope out some way to direct it to America.