tonsilitis

glyn

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 10:03 pm
had it for 3 days just got some cephalexin ...
how long do you think it will last?
its a pain
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 581 • Replies: 4
No top replies

JTT

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 10:18 pm
@glyn,
I don't know, Glyn. I've never heard of that drug. I know it's not fashionable to take out tonsils these days but I had mine out in my early twenties. I got tonsillitis with every change of season.

Now many more years than I care to consider later, I haven't had a cold or the flu or really any sickness at all.

My bouts would usually last, the painful part, for a few days and then it'd go away slowly.
glyn

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 10:41 pm
@JTT,
hi JTT
i think it is some sort of anti biotic the dr prescribed
he also prescribed 50 panadiene forte which i didnt get ..i thought that was a bit extreme... so i just got over the counter pain killers the whole family can use

this is the 1st time i've had this
its bloody horrible i'm down to cold water and yoghurt
its about the only thing that doesnt hurt when i swallow
although i did read that if you block your ears while swallowing it takes some of the pain away
jespah

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 04:22 am
@glyn,
I've had tonsillitis many times, and if I'm too tired or a little bit sick, that's where it always starts: the tonsils. I haven't heard of your antibiotic but I take it your doctor has found an infection. From the sounds of things (your pain and difficulty swallowing), that seems right.

Duration varies but you need to take care of yourself. As in, do whatever you can to get foods in you so that you eat right, drink a lot of fluids and keep yourself warm but not hot. Also, get enough rest and don't try to do much of anything. Your body needs to recover from this, so giving it other things to do (like work at home or whatever) is generally a bad idea and can make it take even longer for you to get better. If you absolutely have to go to work or school, do so, but then get back home, get homework done (if it applies) and then the same: food, drink and rest, making sure your body temperature stays fairly consistent. Don't try to sweat it out and don't freeze. If you're cold, put on a sweatshirt no matter what the temperature is outside -- you don't want your body to have to expend too much energy on temperature controls on top of everything else.

Feel better soon.
mismi

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 07:48 am
@jespah,
On the antibiotic you should not be contagious after 24 hours. Cephalexin is pretty strong I think. It makes me sick. I would think you should be feeling better within a couple of days.

I hope you do feel better soon. And do what Jespah says...
0 Replies