The red and blue states of white* America

nimh

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 07:50 pm
The red and blue states of white* America
(*and hispanic)

Observationalism.com
October 20, 2008

Summary

Brian Beutler noted the difference between the perception of California as a liberal bastion and the electoral reality. The state is solid blue thanks to Latino voters, Ezra Klein adds: unlike Vermont or Massachusetts, white voters in California are not particularly liberal. Which raises the question: how different is the electoral map of America if you only show the white vote?

Plugging in the exit poll data of the 2004 presidential elections, a map showing the red and blue states of white America turns out to look quite different from the overall map, in some interesting ways. The Bush vote, in particular, turns out to be centred differently if you only look at white voters. A map showing only the Latino vote, meanwhile, shows big regional differences.

Read the full post.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,000 • Replies: 3
No top replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 07:58 pm
@nimh,
Don't know about anyone else, but as someone who grew up in California this surprises me not at all.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2008 10:08 pm
@nimh,
It does surprise me somewhat, but I can understand the central districts being primarily republican. My younger brother is a republican, and he's won an average of 63% of the votes for the past three elections to the legislature. His biggest win was in the mid-70s.

I'm pretty sure that the SF Bay Area where I live is predominantly democratic. Even the guys I meet at the coffee shop most weekday mornings talk the talk of Obama.

We also have a heavy concentration of Hispanics in our area as well as Asians.

0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 21 Oct, 2008 12:22 am
believe it or not, there are people in california that have never said dude.

the place is mostly like any place else in the country. some areas are conservative and others are liberal. even within small rural towns.

so, don't tell sarah. she thinks that she's the only one that knows the way to brigadoon.

an' i wouldn't want to, like, harsh her mellow. that would be all off the wall an' ****... jes' bag it, pard.

bitchin'..., gotta slide to the pondo and blaze a fatty. wego, muchchachos.
0 Replies