The ups and downs of the ground game campaigns: “We’re votin’ for the n***er!”

nimh

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 06:56 pm
Quote:
The ups and downs of the ground game campaigns: “We’re votin’ for the n***er!”

Observationalism
October 18, 2008

Alex Massie featured an encouraging dispatch from a Democratic operative in Ohio last Wednesday: The Ground Game: The View From Ohio. It’s impressive stuff:

Quote:
I got placed in Bowling Green, right by Bowling Green State University. [..] The county is a swing county, but that is mostly because there are 50,000 rural families and 25,000 Bowling Green residents combined with 25,000 Bowling Green students. [..] No candidate has carried Ohio without carrying Wood County (BG is the county seat). One would think that this historical oddity would almost mandate a heavy McCain presence, but alas there is none to speak of.

I spent a little bit of time at the Obama state HQ in Columbus yesterday. It was jaw dropping. They had taken over an old mega-church. The first floor was a warren of staffers running around all very young and all very busy. The basement was probably the size of a supermarket, lined with table after table. Each table was staffed by four youngsters, all responsible for a different city, county, task etc. It looked like the command center for a massive army. No windows, no natural light, but filled with kids who probably had no idea it was 8am all hovering over computers, maps, data sheets. There were 600 staffers there, all dedicated to Ohio, at 8am. I’m amazed.

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/9936/phonebanking1ro4.png
Volunteers phonebanking in San Francisco (Images used under CC license from Flickr user SanFranAnnie)

In another recent dispatch from the trail, the Denver Post emphasised the mindboggling extent to which the ground games of both campaigns are driven by sophisticated micro-targeting:

Read on...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,543 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Wy

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 07:06 pm
@nimh,
Last Sunday there was an article in the paper here. One of the columnists is driving around the state aimlessly, looking for political comments. One of the fellows he found last week said of Obama: "He wants the liberation of the black race. That's my concern!"

Makes me wonder. Liberation from what?

0 Replies