Dog eye gooky stuff.

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 09:38 pm
We were out of town so we kenneled Diamond. It's a great, run wild with the home pack in 15 fenced acres with creeks and stuff kennel. It's a great dog camp.

Diamond has been there before and loves going there. Totally doggy fun.

We picked him up last night and all day today I have been rubbing this crusty snotty eye gook off of the fur around his eyes.

What the heck is this stuff?

What is going on?

Should I be worried?

Do we need to see a vet?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 4,843 • Replies: 10
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 09:47 pm
@boomerang,
I have no idea, but I'd call the vet's office.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 10:08 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
We picked him up last night and all day today I have been rubbing this crusty snotty eye gook off of the fur around his eyes.

What the heck is this stuff?

Rheum or more colloquially: eye boogers. Some is normal but it must be more than normal for you to be concerned.

Quote:
What is going on?

It could be a lot of things, it could be an allergic reaction, it could be an infection.

Quote:
Should I be worried?

If the eye is otherwise normal (not discolored) and it doesn't continue I wouldn't be worried. But it could indicate an infection or something else (damaged eye) if it continues more than a few days.

Quote:
Do we need to see a vet?

Probably better than some guy on a message board, but what they've told me is that an increase in discharge could be environmental but if it continues more than 48 hours have the dog checked to rule out an eye infection etc.
boomerang

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 10:26 pm
@Robert Gentel,
But this isn't some guy on a message board -- this is able2know, ask an expert -- the people I love and trust!

I gave it 24 hours and it hasn't cleared up is why I ask. It is 9:30 on a Friday night and I really would prefer not to pay the emergency vet if it isn't anything to worry about.

He has never had any kind of eye discharge at all before, so, yes, it is a bit of a concern.

Now I'm kind of fretting......
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 10:40 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
But this isn't some guy on a message board -- this is able2know, ask an expert -- the people I love and trust!

Yeah, but I'm still just some guy on a message board, and was saying that as a standard "this does not constitute...." disclaimer.

Quote:
I gave it 24 hours and it hasn't cleared up is why I ask. It is 9:30 on a Friday night and I really would prefer not to pay the emergency vet if it isn't anything to worry about.

With the whole I'm just a guy on a message board in mind, I don't think it's likely an emergency at all.

It may well be an eye infection or something else that needs treatment, but unless there are other symptoms I wouldn't be rushing out to the vet myself and would just schedule a visit tomorrow or Monday.

Quote:
He has never had any kind of eye discharge at all before, so, yes, it is a bit of a concern.

Now I'm kind of fretting......

Here's a comprehensive article about this:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/ocular-eye-discharge-in-dogs/page1.aspx

I don't think any of those causes are big emergencies and would wait till tomorrow at least but hell sometimes the vet bill is worth the not worrying part.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 10:41 pm
@boomerang,
Try cold tea dipped in cotton wool (REAL tea) to soothe the poor thing's eyes.

Sounds like it's driving him nuts.

Maybe vet in the am if he's not significantly better?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 07:08 am
Thanks for the article, Robert.

I think I'll try to get him into the regular vet today. This morning his eyes are still very gooky and the gook has kind of a funny smell. He's also kind of rubbing at his face the way a cat does.

Not only do I want to make sure he's healthy, I want to make sure it isn't something he can spread around.
shewolfnm

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 07:19 am
@boomerang,
So now here is some chick on a message baord.

If it is an allergic reaction to pollen, another dogs soap, dust, dirt who knows..

basic saline eye drops would help him with his rubbing.
If you have some, give it a shot.
Saline is perfectly safe water. It will help relieve itching and irritation, and as a side it will help irrigate the eye.

I do not think this would constitute an emergency vet visit.
Not when you can schedule a regular visit for monday or tuesday.

Signed,
Internet girl
patiodog

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 07:24 am
@shewolfnm,
Most vets are open Saturday morning. I doubt this would be billed as an ER visit.
shewolfnm

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 07:27 am
@patiodog,
Dear anonymous internet dude.

I think you are right

signed,
internet chick
patiodog

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 07:29 am
@shewolfnm,
You wish to be left anonymous?

I wish to be left alone.