Political Science: Do genes determine whether you'll be liberal or conservative?

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 05:35 pm
Political Science: What Being Neat or Messy Says about Political Leanings
Do genes determine whether you'll be liberal or conservative, Democrat or Republican?

Quote:
Researchers insist they can tell someone's politlcal affiliation by looking at the condition of their offices and bedrooms. Messy? You're a lefty. A neatnik? Welcome to the Right.

According to a controversial new study, set to be published in The Journal of Political Psychology, the bedrooms and offices of liberals, who are generally thought of as open, tend to be colorful and awash in books about travel, ethnicity, feminism and music, along with music CDs covering folk, classic and modern rock, as well as art supplies, movie tickets and travel memorabilia.

Conservatives, on the other hand, tend to surround themselves with calendars, postage stamps, laundry baskets, irons and sewing materials in their personal spaces, according to the study. Their bedrooms and offices are well-lighted and decorated with sports paraphernalia and flags"especially American ones.

Needless to say, not all experts are on board with the subtext of these conclusions. Political scientist Evan Charney dismisses links made by the studies between personality and ideology. "There's a lot of bad science here," says Charney, a fellow at the Institute for Genome Sciences & Policy at Duke University.

"Confirmation bias has flooded into this [area of] study. I'm a liberal but I don’t believe liberals are superior people or that there's an obvious correlation between personality and political ideology," he says. The studies "take the most value-laden language and treat it as if you're talking about a left-spinning or right-spinning neutron. They are invariably going to reflect the value assumptions of a society"in this case, academic liberals."

Eorl

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 10:59 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Not sure where the genetic bit comes in...
... but I do think the political scientist dost protest, as he is worried people will see his red underwear.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 11:15 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I wonder if we can identify it in the genome
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 03:01 pm
@Eorl,
I was wondering where genes fit in, too.

Maybe the title was meant to be "Do jeans determine whether you're liberal or conservative?" --you know, like if you iron a crease into them you're a conservative, if they're crumpled up on your floor you're a liberal...
sozobe

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 03:06 pm
@cyphercat,
Laughing

For what it's worth, I'm neat-ish (and very neat in some circumstances) and am, not that you'd ever know it, liberal.

My husband is pathologically neat -- you should see his office -- and also liberal.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 03:07 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Anecdotally, I'd say there are more exceptions to the 'rule' than not.

I'm sure Homer Simpson would have something wise to say about statistics for a study like this.
dlowan

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 03:48 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Anecdotally, I'd say there are more exceptions to the 'rule' than not.

I'm sure Homer Simpson would have something wise to say about statistics for a study like this.

According to my work desk, I'm an Anarchist.

My home (neat-wise) used to indicate conservatism, but material-wise, leftness.

Now it indicates anarchy, too.

I'm with the "where do the alleged genes come in" too....but I haven't read the article.

It's a bit footling to spend money allegedly researching this stuff, isn't it?
rabel22

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 05:00 pm
@dlowan,
Wouldent upbringing have more to do with what your political beliefs are. Children tend to follow thier parents beliefs into adulthood.
dlowan

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 11:47 pm
@rabel22,
rabel22 wrote:

Wouldent upbringing have more to do with what your political beliefs are. Children tend to follow thier parents beliefs into adulthood.

They may indeed.

I didn't.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 12:26 am
I enjoy the idea of some correlation but don't believe a word of it.

Some of the tidy thing comes from upbringing, but... of course... not always. Humans can be/often are/reactive, with a smidge of personal distance from the progenitors, even if mental space. As in, my parents are nuts..

Tidy genes, sounds so ethnic, but I think of that as cultural.

I'm a panorama to myself, in that I started out tidy because I should be and started to morph and kept on morphing. I ended up ostensibly sloppy but with intricate organization underlying that.

I suppose I should go with genetics as a possibility but will stand aside for now.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 11:05 am
@rabel22,
Quote:

Wouldent upbringing have more to do with what your political beliefs are.
Children tend to follow thier parents beliefs into adulthood.

That depends upon who is the more convincing debater.
My parents were Roosevelt liberals who followed my beliefs
into voting for Barry Goldwater.

David
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 11:10 am
@Robert Gentel,
I've learned to hide my conservative ideals under piles of liberal rubbish. Usually there's like 15 Land's End and LL Bean catalogs on top of a pile of American Rifleman mags.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 11:42 am
@cjhsa,
LL Bean is liberal ?
cjhsa

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 11:44 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I dunno but those gumshoes are really gay.
0 Replies