Trends in Unauthorized Immigration: Undocumented Inflow Now Trails Legal Inflow

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 12:26 pm
Quote:
There were 11.9 million unauthorized immigrants living in the United States in March 2008, according to new Pew Hispanic Center estimates. The size of the unauthorized population appears to have declined since 2007, but this finding is inconclusive because of the margin of error in these estimates.

However, it is clear from the estimates that the unauthorized immigrant population grew more slowly in the period from 2005 to 2008 than it did earlier in the decade.

It also is clear that from 2005 to 2008, the inflow of immigrants who are undocumented fell below that of immigrants who are legal permanent residents. That reverses a trend that began a decade ago. The turnaround appears to have occurred in 2007.

Source: Pew Hispanic Center: Trends in Unauthorized Immigration: Undocumented Inflow Now Trails Legal Inflow
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,588 • Replies: 3
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 01:24 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I think I read not too long ago, that illegal immigration slowed because even they couldn't find jobs, and it cost them money to stay in the US.
JTT

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 01:29 pm
@cicerone imposter,
The flow of Americans going to Mexico has jumped dramatically.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 01:31 pm
@JTT,
I understand why; the cost of living for social security beneficiaries provides a lifestyle of the rich and famous with maids, drivers, and a warm climate preferred by seniors.
0 Replies