All about oregon (Thinking of moving there,Need help!)

mrhunt

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 03:03 am
so Long story short here goes,

I live in maui born and raised,22 Years.
Its incredibly expensive,I work my ass off and still cant afford anything.
Im Sick of sun sun sun and heat heat heat,Id love to live in snow,Rain and cold weather.
Id Like to live somehwere theres a zoo,big name bands comming through and Where theres Actually a ******* job and where its economy doesnt rely 98% on tourism to survive.

Ive researched alot and oregon is lookng real good to me.I Love the No sales tax,Area and Ive been doing large amounts of research into it.the weather Seems Something id be interested in as well.....

so i have some questions to anyone who Lives there or has lived there,How's it going? Hows the cost of living? How much is gas over there now a days?

Whats the Job situation like? Plenty in the resturant industry? I also understand That The tax they take out of your wages is More than usual To compensate For No sales tax...How much Salary Would you Make On a Full Time Job Say 8 Dollers an hour?

So What im saying is,If I want a change From maui,If i want Cold weather,Cheaper rent and Higher Minimum Wages while Staying in a pretty area thats not an overly Huge metropolis Would this be a good area? Whats areas of Oregon that i should AVOID? Like where the gangs and bums hang out?Im considering Taking a week vacation over there In mid to end of january,Using expedia or Travelocity to book a flight and Cheap hotel...

So if you could tell me basicly about wages.....and gas prices,Are you strugling over there? Can u have ONE full time job and Comfortably Make it for a single guy? Help pls!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,609 • Replies: 14
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 07:43 am
@mrhunt,
Ah boomerang is in Oregon. Let's see if we can entice her here.
martybarker

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 01:52 pm
@mrhunt,
What? No Boomerang yet?

I moved to the Seattle from the midwest 14 years ago. The cost of living for me was quite a shock which is opposite from what you'll surely experience. I considered a move to the Portland area a few years ago and may very well consider it again when my kids are out of the house. I think Portland has a lot to offer and some of the neighboring communities are nice too.

I have a brother who lives in Hillsboro and is very happy there. It's about a 30-45 minute drive along HWY 26 to the city and the opposite direction will take you to the coast.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 02:09 pm
Quote:
Nearly a Third of Oregon Working Families With Children Can’t Afford Basic Household Budget Needs
Calculator for basic family budget needs in Oregon available online

(Silverton, OR) Nearly a third of Oregon’s working families with children under age 12 do not earn enough income to maintain a modest standard of living, according to a report released today by the Economic Policy Institute, a research and education institute based in Washington, D.C.

The report, Basic Family Budgets, measures actual costs faced by families of various sizes in over 400 communities across the country. It indicates that a modest standard of living in Oregon, like much of the United States, costs more than twice the official poverty line.
“This report shows that thousands of Oregon families with incomes above the poverty line are still unable to cover their basic needs,” said Michael Leachman, a policy analyst with the Oregon Center for Public Policy who reviewed the report. ...

http://www.ocpp.org/cgi-bin/display.cgi?page=nr050831basicbud
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 02:19 pm
@hawkeye10,
check this out MrHunt
http://www.payscale.com/cost-of-living-calculator/Oregon-Klamath-Falls
ehBeth

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 02:25 pm
@jespah,
and blatham and lola moved there a year and a bit ago

<pulling out the loud-hailer>
0 Replies

mrhunt

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 04:16 pm
@hawkeye10,
Thanks hawkeye for that national average chart! When i compared Honolulu Hawaii (Im in maui which is even MORE expensive mind you) To Portland Oregon It Was Dramaticly Lower.

Im talking 45% Lower In housing,26% Lower overall.....REALLY alot lower.Maybe its more expensive if your moving From Hillbilly country To there but Prices in hawaii are astronomical.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 04:37 pm
@mrhunt,
ya, but that is only half the story. You also need to see what your wage potential is in Oregon. It is the spread between income and cost of living that matters, if the spread for you is better in Oregon then long term it might be a good idea to go there. You will have the one time relocation costs though.

I agree, it is a nifty tool.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 05:21 pm
I lived for several years in the very north of the california coast, in the eureka/arcata bay area, and really liked it. Re Oregon, I've been to Eugene and environs and spent some horrible amount of hours at the Portland airport, but not seen Portland - which I'd like to.

People in the northern California area craved vacations in the hawaiian islands...

I now live in New Mexico, very different. I like it a lot, even love it to some extent, but California, north or south, is more me.
So what? I think exploring is good.
0 Replies

mrhunt

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2008 03:11 am
@hawkeye10,
Your absolutely right.Minimum Wage in maui is $7.25 an HOUR bro.

Min wage over there is $7.95 an hour and the 3rd highest in the entire united states...Ive reasearched this.I have two jobs here and work just under 60 hours a week making $10.50 an hour and $12.50 an hour... I Have lots of resturant expierence and Think i could get a Job bussing or serving quite easily....and i think with the overall Everything cheaper there even if i Start off initially making less In Time it will be well worth it....
What im really curious about is just how much they take out of your checks in oregon each month in taxes....Love to find a website for that that compares States In that way thingy bob Doohickhy.
mrhunt

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 03:48 am
@mrhunt,
Oh,btw i have 15 grand saved in my bank account and growing by the month thanks to my extremely minimal (yet comfortable) lifestyle.

So One time moving costs wouldnt be an issue.....Im Still planning on taking a short vacation over there Mid to End of january..what sort of clothing should i wear over there for that time? Would shoes,Pants,Long sleeved shirt with Hoodie and a hat be alright? Or should i wear gloves?

They say its like 50's over there at that time and possibly snowing?Im born and raised in maui and Never been in the snow or in weather under like 65 degrees.......and at 65Degree's im bundled up and ******* freezing my ass off but i am craving a change in weather and enjoy rain and cold weather strange as that might sound but live in Sunny warmth for 22+ Years and you'll get bored of it too....No seasons No nothing brah.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2008 11:58 am
@mrhunt,
Where I lived along the coast just south of Oregon it was typically a high of 53 in the winter and high of 63 in summer, rarely surpassing that. Once in a blue moon it would get in the low twenties at night, more usually somewhere in the thirties and forties.

I did use gloves some days. I think you are apt to be cold in your hoodie in the evening, but maybe not. I'd take at least a sweater too. Socks... Do you have rain gear? I'd bring at least a water repellant jacket of some kind. (I rarely used umbrellas.)

Editing to say a warm scarf for around your neck couldn't hurt.
mrhunt

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 02:57 am
@ossobuco,
Yeah,Being a born and raised hawaii boy Mid 60's Im Freezing my ass off so 20's Im guessing would be unbearable...I just dont wanna look like a ******* idiot tourist Or something Like We see in hawaii....Stupid i know.

So whats some good gloves to Get? Any good amazon links?
ossobuco

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 10:47 am
@mrhunt,
Well, inland in northern CA and Oregon can be both colder in winter and warmer in summer - even not very far inland. So when you are deciding what places you like, be sure to check out temperatures online for specific areas.

On gloves, drugstores start to stock gloves by the cash registers as winter comes along - I had a few of those types of pairs, cheap, warm knit gloves. You can also get lined leather gloves at some expense. Not knowing really what you'd be doing, going up to nearby mountains? it seems to me the ordinary gloves would be fine - you can always buy a better pair when there, or if and when you move. Sorry, you'll have to look on amazon yourself...

(I'm not clear where you are going to vacation.. Portland?) In my old area, folks are pretty casually dressed most of the time. Parkas, various jackets, jeans, work boots, sneakers - though sometimes other types of shoes/clothes. I think of Portland and Seattle (which I've been to for only a few weeks) as somewhat similar. We'll see what other posters have to say.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 08:41 pm
@mrhunt,
Check out rei.com You can compare items and read reviews, I'd look for some inexpensive windstopper gloves. I use them for hiking and running around. But then I have snow gloves too. A water repellant jacket would be a good idea too, with a hood of course. I can wear mine when its pretty cold out if I layer under it.
If you shop while you're here, there are tons of outdoor stores in the NW
Joessports.com is less expensive and then you can find lots of inexpensive things at Fred Meyer.
Any more questions related to shopping feel free to ask Laughing
0 Replies