The idea the William Ayers is a terrorist is patently ridiculous...

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 06:40 am
William Ayers was awarded Chicago's CITIZEN OF THE YEAR in 1997 for his work in reforming and improving public schools.

"In 1995, State Senator Alice Palmer introduced her chosen successor, Barack Obama, to a few of the district’s influential liberals at the home of two well known figures on the local left." It wasn't Obama who decided to hold the meeting at Ayer's home. It was the State Senator of IL.

Ayers is currently a Distinguished Professor at the University of Illinois at Chicago, College of Education. His interests include teaching for social justice, urban educational reform, narrative and interpretive research, children in trouble with the law, and related issues. He has written many books and articles on education theory, policy and practice, and has appeared on many panels and symposia.

Since 1999 he has served on the board of directors of the Woods Fund of Chicago, an anti-poverty, philanthropic foundation established as the Woods Charitable Fund in 1941.

Ayers worked with Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley in shaping the city's school reform program,and was one of three co-authors of the Chicago Annenberg Challenge grant proposal that in 1995 won $49.2 million over five years for public school reform.

He has stated repeatedly that the misconstrued quote 'We didn't do enough,' was a reference to his firm belief that the country didn't do enough to put a stop the Vietnam War. It was not a reference to his actions in the 1960s.

Source: Ayer's Wikipedia Page

If Obama is palling around with terrorists, then Chicago is awarding terrorists it's coveted Citizen of the Year award, the University of Illinois is employing a terrorist, and all the public schools that Ayers is working to fund are being run by a terrorist.

Attacking Obama for someone he barely knows is beyond idiotic.

If you can attack Obama about Ayers wouldn't it make far more sense to....

Attack Sarah Palin for the fact that she gave the opening speech for the Alaskan Independence Party's Convention. A party whose only platform is that Alaska should secede from the United States of America. Palin's husband is a card carrying member of the party to this day.

We are, after all, talking about a party founded by a man who said, "I'm an Alaskan, not an American. I've got no use for America or her damned institutions." The same man, AIP founder Joe Vogler, also said, "[T]he fires of Hell are glaciers compared to my hate for the American government." And the Palin's family were friends with this man.

Attack Bush for the fact that his grandfather gave millions in loans to Adolf Hitler! http://www.ickypeople.com/2007/12/bush-grandfather-helped-hitler-rise-to.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,851 • Replies: 14

cjhsa

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 06:44 am
@Centroles,
Oh bullshit. Who are you? Bill Clinton? Are you telling me you're not really here?
gungasnake

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 06:48 am
Ever wonderr what it would be like to live in a country where dickheads with connections like Ayres actually weren't above the law??
0 Replies

Woiyo9

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 07:26 am
@Centroles,
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 11:09 am
@cjhsa,
ceej, Stick to the article. Your ad hominems doesn't address anything - as usual.
Where did Bill Clinton come from? LOL
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 09:31 am
@Centroles,
In Letter to 'NYT,' Man Who Prosecuted Weather Underground Hits Linking Ayers to Obama
By Greg Mitchell - E & P
Published: October 10, 2008

In a surprising a letter to the editor published in The New York Times today, the chief prosecutor of the Weather Underground in the 1970s expressed outrage over the linking of Barack Obama to Bill Ayers by the McCain campaign, adding, "Although I dearly wanted to obtain convictions against all the Weathermen, including Bill Ayers, I am very pleased to learn that he has become a responsible citizen."

William C. Ibershof also corrects a charge in the Times: "I do take issue with the statement in your news article that the Weathermen indictment was dismissed because of 'prosecutorial misconduct.' It was dismissed because of illegal activities, including wiretaps, break-ins and mail interceptions, initiated by John N. Mitchell, attorney general at that time, and W. Mark Felt, an F.B.I. assistant director."

Felt, of course (you may have already forgotten), was also known as a guy called "Deep Throat."

The full letter follows. For constant coverage of the media and the campaign go to our new blog at:
The E&P Pub

As the lead federal prosecutor of the Weathermen in the 1970s (I was then chief of the criminal division in the Eastern District of Michigan and took over the Weathermen prosecution in 1972), I am amazed and outraged that Senator Barack Obama is being linked to William Ayers’s terrorist activities 40 years ago when Mr. Obama was, as he has noted, just a child.

Although I dearly wanted to obtain convictions against all the Weathermen, including Bill Ayers, I am very pleased to learn that he has become a responsible citizen.

Because Senator Obama recently served on a board of a charitable organization with Mr. Ayers cannot possibly link the senator to acts perpetrated by Mr. Ayers so many years ago.

I do take issue with the statement in your news article that the Weathermen indictment was dismissed because of “prosecutorial misconduct.” It was dismissed because of illegal activities, including wiretaps, break-ins and mail interceptions, initiated by John N. Mitchell, attorney general at that time, and W. Mark Felt, an F.B.I. assistant director.

William C. Ibershof
Mill Valley, Calif., Oct. 8, 2008

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 09:56 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
McCain Campaign Now Attacks Michelle Obama Over Ayers
By Greg Sargent and Eric Kleefeld - TPM
October 10, 2008,

The McCain campaign is now broadening their attack on Obama's past association with William Ayers to include Michelle Obama -- even though McCain has repeatedly said spouses should be off limits during the campaign.

The attack? Bernardine Dohrn, Ayers' wife and fellow former Weatherman, went to work in 1984 for the major Chicago-based national law firm of Sidley & Austin, and three years later, Michelle joined the mega-firm as well.

That's the entire attack. We wish we were joking. But we aren't.

In launching this latest, McCain is ditching yet another formerly-claimed principle as he faces the growing likelihood of defeat. In a statement back in June, the McCain campaign said: "Senator McCain agrees with Senator Obama that spouses should not be an issue in this campaign, and he has stated that position frequently."

The attack on Michelle came on a McCain conference call with reporters this afternoon featuring John Murtagh, who has been hitting Obama over the Weather Underground's attack on his family's home back in 1970. Murtagh noted that Dohrn and Michelle Obama had both worked at the firm starting in the late 1980s.

The firm's Chicago office currently employs more than 500 lawyers.

Murtagh didn't even bother alleging that the two even knew each other, instead suggesting that they might have. If so, he said, the Obamas have known the two longer than suspected.

"If it is true" that the two women knew each other, Murtagh said, "the relationship is almost a decade older than Senator Obama has acknowledged. And that can very easily be resolved by Senator Obama, by Mrs. Obama, by Mr. Ayers and by Ms. Dohrn."

"And incidentally, I would emphasize that we've all been focusing on Senator Obama," said Murtagh. "I think we need to speak to his wife."

Keep in mind that this wasn't any surrogate speaking off the cuff. He was on a call organized by the McCain campaign, and he was apparently reading from a prepared statement, which would of course have been vetted by McCain aides. And so another once-cherished McCain principle gets junked in the service of self-parody.

Here's the audio of the call:
http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/10/mccain_campaign_goes_after_mic.php

Late Update: To clarify, we don't know that the McCain campaign vetted Murtagh's statement attacking. But it was made on a campaign conference call, and it constitutes the McCain campaign's official position until the McCain campaign says otherwise.

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 10:01 am
Much of the Right claims to be Christian, so the are supposed to believe in redemption. Going after Ayers shows that they are morally bankrupt, nothing else.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 10:28 am
@hawkeye10,
The moral majority lost their way a long time ago. Not only the many republican leadership charged with crimes, but their sheep who has no concept of being a christian or a human being. They now promote lies and violence.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 10:41 am
@cicerone imposter,
true, and it is also true that journalism is on life support. It does not come as a surprise that the media has not taken the attack on Ayers as an opportunity to question McCain and the Right on their belief in redemption. It also does not surprise me that Obama and the Left have not used this attack of Ayers to argue that McCain lacks the necessary character for the job he wishes to hold. He is supposed to be able to be running his campaign, he is responsible for this attack.
gungasnake

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 10:45 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Quote:
In Letter to 'NYT,' Man Who Prosecuted Weather Underground Hits Linking Ayers to Obama

What about linking Herman Goering to Hitler? That bother him much??
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 10:48 am
@hawkeye10,
Good point; McCain doesn't have the requisite character for president of the US. Maybe a country like Zimbabwe will take him.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 11:48 am
@Centroles,
Your apologies for Ayers, Obama, etc. are beyond ridiculous.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 12:06 pm
@okie,
Your time developing that comeback was well invested.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2011 12:24 pm
Three years later and BAM!! The perfect comeback! I'll bet Centroles wasn't expecting that!
0 Replies