Acorn Voter Fraud Investigation Expands to 10 States

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 08:57 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I really doubt that Politico would consult the Arkansas GOP about much of anything, much less use it as a source for their news stories. I don't know why the link doesn't work now though. It did to get me to the site.
rosborne979

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 09:53 pm
@Foxfyre,
Quote:
But it does seem like the duplicate and fradulent registrations tend to strongly favor Democrats and you would think Obama would be stepping up to the plate and making a public appeal for that kind of nonsense to cease and desist.

Unethical election manipulation is common in both parties and occurs in isolated pockets all over the US. And I don't think candidates (who are also victims of this behavior) need to get involved. All any candidate ever needs to do is to support the law, and the law should do its job without micromanagement from people who are already involved in the process.

0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 11:18 pm
Sometimes I get the uncanny feeling that my vote doesn't count at all.
Woiyo9

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 06:04 am
@NickFun,
And here is why you are correct.

"Two Ohio voters, including Domino's pizza worker Christopher Barkley , claimed yesterday that they were hounded by the community-activist group ACORN to register to vote several times, even though they made it clear they'd already signed up.

Barkley estimated he'd registered to vote "10 to 15" times after canvassers for ACORN, whose political wing has endorsed Barack Obama, relentlessly pursued him and others.

Claims such as his have sparked election officials to probe ACORN.

"I kept getting approached by folks who asked me to register," Barkley said. "They'd ask me if I was registered. I'd say yes, and they'd ask me to do it [register] again.

"Some of them were getting paid to collect names. That was their sob story, and I bought it," he said.

Barkley is one of at least three people who have been subpoenaed by the Cuyahoga County Board of Elections as part of a wider inquiry into possible voter fraud by ACORN. The group seeks to register low-income voters, who skew overwhelmingly Democratic.

"You can tell them you're registered as many times as you want - they do not care," said Lateala Goins, 21, who was subpoenaed.

"They will follow you to the buses, they will follow you home, it does not matter," she told The Post.

She added that she never put down an address on any of the registration forms, just her name.

A third subpoenaed voter, Freddie Johnson, 19, filled out registration cards 72 times over 18 months, officials said.

"It feeds the public perception that there could be [fraud], and that makes the pillars fall down," said local Board of Elections President Jeff Hastings.

Registering under a fake name is illegal. But officials usually catch multiple registrations and toss them.

The major risk of fraud growing out of mass canvassing involves the possibility of ineligible voters filing absentee ballots, and thus avoiding checks at polling places, said Republican National Committee chief counsel Sean Cairncross.

The subpoenas come as Republicans have ramped up criticism of ACORN. Officials in Nevada raided ACORN's Las Vegas office Tuesday, accusing the group of signing people up multiple times - in some cases under phony names, like those of Dallas Cowboys.

ACORN's Cleveland spokesman, Kris Harsh, said his group collected 100,000 voter-registration cards; only about 50 were questionable, he claimed.

As for workers, "We watch them like a hawk," he said. "

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10092008/news/politics/nuts__132771.htm
rosborne979

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 06:40 am
@Woiyo9,
Quote:
"They will follow you to the buses, they will follow you home, it does not matter," she told The Post.

Are you sure these weren't Evangelical Baptists?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 09:34 am
@Woiyo9,
Quote:
The major risk of fraud growing out of mass canvassing involves the possibility of ineligible voters filing absentee ballots, and thus avoiding checks at polling places, said Republican National Committee chief counsel Sean Cairncross.

How stupid are Republicans? This man is a lawyer?

These are the requirement to request an absentee ballot in Ohio.
Quote:
(the request for absentee ballot) must contain all of the following information:

1. Your name;
2. Your signature;
3. The address at which you are registered to vote;
4. Your date of birth;
5. One of the following items showing proof of your identification:
1. Your Ohio driver's license number; or
2. The last four digits of your Social Security number; or
3. A copy of your current and valid photo identification, military identification; or a current (within the last 12 months) utility bill (including cell phone bill), bank statement, government check, paycheck, or other government document that shows your name and current address (including from a public college or university).
(Note: You cannot use a notice that the board of elections mailed to you as proof of identification.);
6. A statement identifying the election for which you are requesting an absentee voter's ballot;
7. A statement that you are a qualified elector;
8. If the request is for a partisan primary election ballot, your political party affiliation; and
9. If you want the ballot to be mailed, the address to which you want it mailed.

Unless someone is willing to get ID in the name of the made up voter and commit other fraud in doing so there is no easy way to vote absentee in Ohio.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 09:41 am
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

I really doubt that Politico would consult the Arkansas GOP about much of anything, much less use it as a source for their news stories. I don't know why the link doesn't work now though. It did to get me to the site.

Fox, look at the link:

http://dyn.politico.com/members/forums/thread.cfm?catid=2&subcatid=30&threadid=1484869

It was a link to the members' forum at politico, not a news story. They didn't use the Arkansas GOP information in their news story. A member of their forum posted it, much like we do here at A2K.

Hardly what anyone would call 'credible.' And by that, I mean your attempt to pass that off as Politico news. Unless, you can provide a working link?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Woiyo9

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 10:20 am
@parados,
""Two Ohio voters, including Domino's pizza worker Christopher Barkley , claimed yesterday that they were hounded by the community-activist group ACORN to register to vote several times, even though they made it clear they'd already signed up.

Barkley estimated he'd registered to vote "10 to 15" times after canvassers for ACORN, whose political wing has endorsed Barack Obama, relentlessly pursued him and others.

Claims such as his have sparked election officials to probe ACORN."

AS VEGAS (AP) " Nevada authorities seized records Tuesday from a group they accused of submitting fraudulent voter-registration forms " including for the starting lineup of the Dallas Cowboys.

"Tony Romo is not registered to vote in the state of Nevada, and anybody trying to pose as Terrell Owens won't be able to cast a ballot on Nov. 4," said Secretary of State Ross Miller, referring to star players on the pro football team.

You're so naive!
Foxfyre

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 10:31 am
@Woiyo9,
Well I thought I posted this earlier, but can't find the post so maybe I never hit the reply button? (If this is a duplicate my apologies)

This morning while getting my news fix before getting up, they announced that authorities discovered that there are 33,000 more voters registered in Indianapolis than there are eligible voters. That's 33,000!!!! They hope to get it resolved before November 4, but it is going to be a problem

From FR site:
Quote:
According to STATSIndiana, In 2007, Indianapolis/Marion County had an estimated population of 876,804. Of that number 232,607 were below 18 years of age, for a total of 644,197 people in Marion County/Indianapolis 18 or over and thus eligible to vote. (Indiana allows felons to vote as long as they are not incarcerated).

So we have 644,197 people eligible to be registered in Marion County/Indianapolis, and 677,401 people registered. Congratulations go to Indianapolis for having 105% of its residents registered!

Is ACORN working in Indianapolis? Yep.

Also included in that telecast was statistics that more than 70% of those registered by ACORN are black. That would be meaningless except that the polls state that more than 90% of blacks say they will vote for Obama. This underscores that Acorn is a leftwing organization with no intention of being evenhanded in getting out the vote.

And in the same telecast was a Senator--I'm sorry I don't remember his name--who said some in the Senate are trying to get funding for ACORN stopped as they are due to get another huge government allocation. They did get a massive earmark for ACORN taken out of that bailout bill they just passed, but it seems that last summer a large chunk of funding was allocated to ACORN. As ACORN is obviously partisan and based on the large number of allegations, question, indictments, and convictions associated with this group, who is going to say that would be a prudent use of taxpayer money?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 11:03 am
@Foxfyre,
You should do as you usually do, Foxfyre, and listen to more than one source: if you would follow the local/state news media, you would notice that in all cases but one the numbers were are negligible: a handful of obviously fraudulent registrations out of thousands generated from ACORN drives.

(Source, including various links: conservative-liberal blog Outside the Beltway
Foxfyre

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2008 11:08 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Well Walter, I have to work for a living now and then still, and didn't have time to do hunt up a bunch of sources when I heard the story for the first time just this morning. But I trust you do have time to do that and I thank you for posting all that you find. (The link you posted however doesn't give anybody a great deal of confidence in ACORN's practices though does it. 1100 out of 2000 voter registrations they submitted in one county were 'no good'? And they are funded largely by our tax dollars here. Everybody should be demanding that their elected legislators cut them off immediately and the government should pull their not-for-profit status.)
JTT

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 09:50 pm
@Foxfyre,
Quote:
Right Wing Rages Against New Voter Registrations: The ‘Purpose’ Of ACORN Is To Commit ‘Voter Fraud’

This week, the New York Times reported that “tens of thousands of eligible voters in at least six swing states have been removed from the rolls or have been blocked from registering in ways that appear to violate federal law.” But instead of expressing concern about tens of thousands of potentially disenfranchised citizens, what are conservatives up in arms about? The Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now (ACORN), which announced that it had registered 1.3 million new voters.

Seizing on a couple of reports of apparently fraudulent voter registrations, conservatives began a chorus of accusations, claiming that the “purpose” of ACORN is to commit “voter fraud.”

Watch a compilation here:

http://thinkprogress.org/2008/10/10/acorn-reaction/

It’s important to highlight a couple of facts to correct the right-wing rhetoric:

- Fraudulent registration forms do not constitute voter fraud.

Voter fraud only occurs if someone tries to improperly cast a vote. “It’s not voter fraud unless someone shows up at the voting booth on election day and tries to pass himself off as ‘Tony Romo.’ And who would try to do that?” wrote Rep. Jesse Jackson (D-IL). The Brennan Center for Justice noted that “there are no reports that we have discovered of votes actually cast in the names of [false] registrants.”

- In many states, organizations like ACORN are required by law to turn in every registration card they receive.

As the Wall Street Journal reported, “New Mexico law requires Acorn to turn in all applications, no matter how suspicious-looking, within 48 hours. Elections officials do their own quality control on registrations.” In fact, “under most state laws, voter registration organizations are required to turn in all the forms they receive.” Furthermore, ACORN explained in a statement that “for the past 10 months, any time ACORN has identified a potentially fraudulent application, we turn that application into election officials separately and offer to provide election officials with the information they would need to pursue an investigation or prosecution of the individual.”

When a department store calls the police to report a shoplifting employee, no one says the department store is guilty of consumer fraud. The same principle applies here. The small number of staffers who have submitted fraudulent forms are violating ACORN’s mission. Anyone caught defrauding should be prosecuted, and ACORN says it is assisting in that effort. ACORN should work harder to catch these employees and ensure that they are held responsible.

After years of enacting policies catering to the wealthy, the right-wing seems to be fearful of millions of new low-income voters casting their ballot in favor of progressive policies.

Xenoche

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2008 10:36 pm
@JTT,
So it was a non-story.

Fox news and foxfyre had me going there for a second.

So, journalists that dig up this crap and every other complete waste of my attention get paid how much?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 02:16 pm
@Woiyo9,
Funny, how I am naive Woiyo when the Sec of state of Nevada said the same thing I did. False names don't show up to vote.

Christopher Barkley registering 10 or 100 times doesn't allow him to vote more than once.
parados

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 02:20 pm
@Foxfyre,
Quote:
Elections board Director Sally LaSota “said the flawed forms are incomplete or contain unreadable handwriting " similar to hundreds of other forms ACORN produced prior to this week.

Incomplete forms and unreadable handwriting means those forms won't result any a registered voter. Some of them could be fake names. Some of them could be real people expecting to vote on Nov 4th. Either way, those forms won't result in a vote because without registration there can be no ballot handed out to vote with.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 02:20 pm
@parados,
That would depend in how many different precincts he was registered if there are lax rules about presenting ID and/or if there isn't time to verify all the registrations as valid as appears to be the situation in Ohio. We don't really know how many false identities might vote do we?
parados

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 02:30 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

That would depend in how many different precincts he was registered if there are lax rules about presenting ID and/or if there isn't time to verify all the registrations as valid as appears to be the situation in Ohio.

LOL.. Oh.. so this is all about your lack of looking at facts. It has nothing to do with the real possibility of illegal voting.

As I posted earlier. In Ohio the person has to have an ID with their name on it. They would have to show up at each polling place and present an ID if the registered in several precints. If they did that, the examination of the rolls after the election would reveal the fraud easily.

Quote:
We don't really know how many false identities might vote do we?
We don't do we? But you seem to think it will occur when you don't really know. Think about it Fox. What evidence do you have other than your fears? There is no evidence of people with false names voting in past elections. But the sky is falling for you candidate so you are willing to make stuff up when we don't really know.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 07:25 am
Quote:
Obama's legal team seeks special prosecutor for voter registration probe
By TODD SPANGLER • FREE PRESS WASHINGTON STAFF • October 17, 2008

WASHINGTON " Barack Obama’s legal team wants a special prosecutor to determine whether partisan politics is at play in a reported though unconfirmed Justice Department investigation of a voter registration effort which has been the target of numerous complaints of late, including one in Michigan.

With the election just over two weeks away, Bob Bauer, Obama’s chief lawyer, said in a conference call with reporters this afternoon that he is asking U.S. Attorney General Michael Mukasey to to hand over to special prosecutor Nora Dannehy any probe into what Bauer called “bogus claims of vote fraud” that mirror concerns raised by Republicans two years ago.

According to a recent Justice Department report, those issues played a role in the controversy over the forced resignations of nine former federal prosecutors.

That report " performed by the inspector general overseeing the Justice Department and others " found that David Iglesias, the former U.S. attorney in New Mexico, “was removed because of complaints to the Department of Justice and the White House … about Iglesias’ handling of voter fraud” cases. He had been pushed to bring a case against ACORN " the Association of Community Activists for Reform Now, the group at the center of the current controversy.

“Are we seeing a repeat now?” said Bauer. “It would seem that we are.”

http://www.freep.com/article/20081017/NEWS15/81017065
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 07:33 am
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2008/oct/13/election-acorn-voter-fraud

Quote:
The Republican voter fraud hoaxDonald Duck and the Dallas Cowboys won't steal the election for Obama. Acorn's only crime is registering Democratic votersComments (171)
Brad Friedman guardian.co.uk, Monday October 13 2008 20.30 BST Article historyBarack Obama and the Democrats are stealing the election. Massive voter fraud is being carried out, even as we speak, by their henchmen, known by the innocuous sounding Association for Community Organisations for Reform Now, or Acorn. Clever bastards.

The only problem? Despite the screaming wall-to-wall coverage of "Democratic voter fraud in 11 swing states" as seen on Fox News and even the once-respectable CNN, none of it's true. None of it.

0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 01:44 pm
John Cornyn has sent a scathing letter to the AG and FBI questioning the allegations against ACORN and the leaking of info just before (yet another) election. Even goes so far as to tie it to Republican /GOP.

http://judiciary.house.gov/News/PDFs/Conyers081016.pdf
0 Replies