Sarah Palin; Just Another Dick In Lipstick ?

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 02:12 pm
as the election campaigns roll along, i've been noticing that sarah palin is beginning to have a resemblance to another vice president; dick cheney.

starting with the flip flop of her initial promise to cooperate with the so called "troopergate" investigation, only to then seek to have the investigation moved from the legislature to a department packed with people she appointed.

when that didn't work, she then declared that she would not cooperate, ordered state employees to do likewise, and finally refused to comply with legally issued suboenas. like cheney, she apparently believes that she can also cover the refusal of her husband via executive priviledge type maneuvers.

although seven of her staffers have relented and agreed to testify in the last day or so, her husband has indicated through their attorney, tom van flein (and advised by mccain campaign attorney, ex justice dept., ed o'callaghan) that todd would not answer any questions in person; but would respond to written inquiries in kind, submitted by attorney van flein.

apparently, like dick cheney, mrs. palin and her husband have an aversion to being questioned under oath.

and that the laws of the united states are really just there to keep joe sixpack in line.

another similarity between sarah and dicky is their grandiose view of the authority of the vice president.

the role of the veep is really just to be a understudy of the sitting president in case of injury death or removal, and to preside over the senate with no vote unless there's a tie.

but cheney's actions have shown he has a view that he can do pretty much anything he wants, and when asked for an explanation, insists that he has executive priviledge for cover. except when he gets cornered on something else and insists that the vice president isn't in the executive branch, but instead a member of the legislature. huh???

palin appears to have a similar view. in her recent interview with katie couric, sarah gave her opinion that:

Quote:
Palin: "We know what a vice president does. And that's not only to preside over the Senate and we'll take that position very seriously also. I'm thankful the Constitution would allow a bit more authority given to the vice president also if that vice president so chose to exert it in working with the Senate and making sure that we are supportive of the president's policies and making sure too that our president understands what our strengths are. John McCain and I have had good conversations about where I would lead with his agenda. That is energy independence in America and reform of government overall, and then working with families of children with special needs."

the thing is, the constitution doesn't say anything about a role beyond presiding over the senate (cavet the president's incapacitation, etc. of course..). the constitution doesn't say anything about allowing "a bit" or "a lot" of authority beyond presiding (caveat a tied vote).

you'd think that someone who is in the "strict constructionist" crowd would not only know that, but be loath to color outside the lines.

sarah palin would "lead with his agenda. That is energy". what, as in an energy task force?

where have we heard that before?

so, let's recap;

* dick cheney has a grandiose vision of the vice presidency, led the energy task force, has refused to release any information regarding the members of the t-force and has repeatedly flaunted a total disregard for subpoenas in particular and the law in general.

* sarah palin has a grandiose vision of what her vice presidency would be, would lead the energy agenda (task force?), and has already demonstrated that she, alsooo, has no respect for the law and it's stinking subpoenas. but is more than happy, like cheney, to use any and all political power she has to confuse and circumvent the law and the constitution.

that's supposed to the real change? that's supposed to be reform?

nahhh, sarah palin is just another dick in lipstick.

dtom.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,626 • Replies: 29

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 02:14 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
What was more telling was when somebody asked her what she would do in the event something untoward happened to McCain. ???????????????
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 02:16 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
An excellent synopsis, DTOM.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 02:19 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
There's one major difference between Dick and Sarah (no, it has nothing to do with gender). Cheney is in charge; Dubya is the puppet. C'mon, everybody knows that. McCain is nobody's puppet, I'll give him that.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 02:22 pm
@Merry Andrew,
MA, I believe you under-estimate the power of a woman.
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 02:24 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

MA, I believe you under-estimate the power of a woman.

yuh. i sure as hell ain't ms. dtom's puppet.

no, really. i'm not. aw, c'mon really. i'm no.. ehh forget it.. Laughing
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 02:24 pm
@cicerone imposter,
You've also underestimated the power of the evangelicals, MA, not to mention the pandering nature that is John McCain.
Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 02:29 pm
@JTT,
I devoutly believe that "the power of the evangelicals" is vastly exaggerated. Just like the "moral majority" is neither moral nor a majority.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 02:30 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

You've also underestimated the power of the evangelicals, MA, not to mention the pandering nature that is John McCain.

yup. one man's "agent of intolerance" is another.... oh. wait a sec.

one man's "agent of intolerance" is the same man's treasured endorser when it's politically expedient.

does that count as a flip flop? like promising to cooperate with a investigation and then refusing to do so is a flip flop?

(deep serious voice) "troubling"
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 02:36 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
DTOM, You're creating confusion from confusion. LOL It's no wonder that conservatives understand all this BS.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 03:47 pm
This is almost funny! McCain has connections - long ago - to Singlaub.

Quote:
McCain's tie to Singlaub's council is undergoing renewed scrutiny after his campaign criticized Obama for his link to Ayers, a former radical who engaged in violent acts 40 years ago. Over the weekend, Democratic operative Paul Begala said on ABC's "This Week" that this "guilt by association" tactic could backfire on the McCain campaign by renewing discussion of McCain's service on the board of the U.S. Council for World Freedom, "an ultraconservative right-wing group."

McCain isn't a maverick; he's a radical.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 04:33 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
What do you think it means to "preside"
Over the Senate?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 04:35 pm
Palin on bridge to nowhere;http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvqH6GnE3k0&feature=bz302
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 04:37 pm
@cicerone imposter,
This one is even better; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2OUJ8ZUTiI&NR=1
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 04:50 pm
DTOM

What do you think it means to "preside" over the Senate?
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 05:10 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
As our stock market continues to tank, more republicans will be losing their seats to a democrat. There's a good possibility that veep Palin won't have to even break the tie in the Senate.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 06:27 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

DTOM

What do you think it means to "preside" over the Senate?

don't be so impatient, finn. i just got back from a doctor's appointment. Very Happy

we both know what the word means. and as i understand the word's use in relation to the senate; it means to oversee the proceedings and insure that they follow the established procedures. the title implies "the president of the senate", but the only time he has any real constitutional power is in the event of a tied vote.

that's a lot different than being a majority/minority leader or whip, don't you think? those positions entail the ordering of partisan agendas and bills along with being the party's spearhead/spokesperson (within the congress) in the leader's case. and the maj/min whip does just what the label implies. "whip" the respective reps and senators into the line.

as such, the v.p. is not an actual member of congress as the constitution states.

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 06:56 pm
From ABCNews, Political Punch:
Quote:
Back in February, McCain apologized for some questionable comments made by a local radio host. In April, he condemned the North Carolina Republican Party's ad featuring images of the Rev. Jeremiah Wright.

It's now okay for both McCain and Palin to connect Obama to a "domestic terrorist" based on lies.

A sign of a great leader.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 08:57 pm
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/stevetheq/Dick.jpg

not a pretty picture...
JTT

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 09:01 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Take away the lipstick and the ugliness remains.
0 Replies