24 Words Collins English Dictionary wants to discard

mason738

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 06:32 pm
@Rockhead,
Do you know what it means, Rockhead? It means "stingy" but in our moronic gang-bang ghettos, no one knows its meaning. That is why, not too long ago, a person who gave a speech using the word was threatened with bodily harm from a group who did not know it meant "stingy". The idiots who threatened the speaker thought the speaker was being a "racist".
Rockhead

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 06:41 pm
Not talkin' to trolls...
mason738

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 06:58 pm
@Rockhead,
That's your problem. You could lift yourself from your self imposed sea of ignorance but since I have never seen you write anything longer than one line, it would appear that you are among the 75-80 IQ crowd!
Rockhead

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 07:00 pm
@mason738,
guess again.

(we're done, jr...)
mason738

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 07:09 pm
@Rockhead,
Ok- what about 7o-75 IQ?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 08:10 pm
@mason738,
You want to be careful about casting aspersions, Mason. It's hardly a sign of being a moron when one doesn't know the meaning of certain words. I assure you that there are thousands of words in English that neither you nor I know or have ever even come across.

Actually, there are numerous examples of conservative groups illustrating that they are some of the most ignorant folk when it comes to language. Bill Buckley was one of them, as is William Safire, though they are hardly the only ones.
Rockhead

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 08:17 pm
@JTT,
I know the meaning, and the origin of said word.

The troll likes to light fires...
JTT

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 08:36 pm
@Rockhead,
I knew that, Rockhead. But knowing the origin of words is not at all important to language. All too often the tale told about a word's origin is mere fluff.
0 Replies

mason738

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 09:26 pm
@JTT,
Do you really think that William Safire and William F. Buckley did not have superb vocabularies? If so, please name anyone from the left wing whose vocabulary is superior> I don't know of any and may have missed them!

As far as the meaning of words go, I can take almost any Vocabulary Test and I rarely get a score below 95. I am not a trained linguist but I have studied Latin, Spanish and Polish. I can read French with understanding.

Niggardly is not used frequently but it is not an esoteric word. If Rockhead wrote in such a way as to use a special word once in a while, I would not have characterized him.

Rockhead

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 09:32 pm
@mason738,
And if you were not a troll, I might play vocabulary games with you.

(wish in one hand, **** in the other...)
JTT

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 09:41 pm
@mason738,
Quote:
Do you really think that William Safire and William F. Buckley did not have superb vocabularies?

I didn't say that, Mason. I said they knew virtually nothing about how language worked.

You are confusing the ability to use language, which we all have, with the knowledge of language.
mason738

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 09:44 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead, why don't you try "desire" in one hand, "excrement" in the other. It sounds better!
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 09:46 pm
Shooting in the dark is the number 1 cause of ricochet bullet wounds...
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 09:46 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

Well gee. I will miss being able to work all those into a sentence at least once a day. (I'm not sure I have EVER worked one into a sentence ever).

LOL!

But aren't you tempted as me to try to do exactly that now?

T
K
O
mason738

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 10:11 pm
@JTT,
Who does know how language works? A philologist? I nominate Steven Pinker of Harvard as one of the best in the USA. His book, the Language Instinct is one of the best I have ever read on Language. An older classic is "The Story of Language" by the philologist- Mario Pei and one that is even older but famous in its time is the magnificent "The American Language" by H. L. Mencken.
JTT

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 10:21 pm
@mason738,
There are many who know how language works, but my point was that knowing one piece of vocabulary or another does not mark one as knowledgeable about language.

People come to know words that they are exposed to and that are useful to their lives.

0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 11:27 pm
It's not capitalized, Massagatto. It's not a proper noun.
dlowan

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 11:39 pm
@Diest TKO,
Diest TKO wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:

Well gee. I will miss being able to work all those into a sentence at least once a day. (I'm not sure I have EVER worked one into a sentence ever).

LOL!

But aren't you tempted as me to try to do exactly that now?

T
K
O

Not only am I tempted, but I plan to climb this lexicographical Everest.

Why, you ask?

Because it is there.

0 Replies

SYNRON

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 12:00 am
@MontereyJack,
What is it that is not capitalized? You have no referent in your post.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 01:05 am
Oh. Was I talking to you?