Make-Believe Maverick; closer look at McCain's record of recklessness & dishonesty

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 10:52 am
Make-Believe Maverick
A closer look at the life and career of John McCain reveals a disturbing record of recklessness and dishonesty
TIM DICKINSON
Rolling Stone Magazine
Posted Oct 16, 2008

At Fort McNair, an army base located along the Potomac River in the nation's capital, a chance reunion takes place one day between two former POWs. It's the spring of 1974, and Navy commander John Sidney McCain III has returned home from the experience in Hanoi that, according to legend, transformed him from a callow and reckless youth into a serious man of patriotism and purpose. Walking along the grounds at Fort McNair, McCain runs into John Dramesi, an Air Force lieutenant colonel who was also imprisoned and tortured in Vietnam.

McCain is studying at the National War College, a prestigious graduate program he had to pull strings with the Secretary of the Navy to get into. Dramesi is enrolled, on his own merit, at the Industrial College of the Armed Forces in the building next door.

There's a distance between the two men that belies their shared experience in North Vietnam " call it an honor gap. Like many American POWs, McCain broke down under torture and offered a "confession" to his North Vietnamese captors. Dramesi, in contrast, attempted two daring escapes. For the second he was brutalized for a month with daily torture sessions that nearly killed him. His partner in the escape, Lt. Col. Ed Atterberry, didn't survive the mistreatment. But Dramesi never said a disloyal word, and for his heroism was awarded two Air Force Crosses, one of the service's highest distinctions. McCain would later hail him as "one of the toughest guys I've ever met."

On the grounds between the two brick colleges, the chitchat between the scion of four-star admirals and the son of a prizefighter turns to their academic travels; both colleges sponsor a trip abroad for young officers to network with military and political leaders in a distant corner of the globe.

"I'm going to the Middle East," Dramesi says. "Turkey, Kuwait, Lebanon, Iran."

"Why are you going to the Middle East?" McCain asks, dismissively.

"It's a place we're probably going to have some problems," Dramesi says.

"Why? Where are you going to, John?"

"Oh, I'm going to Rio."

"What the hell are you going to Rio for?"

McCain, a married father of three, shrugs.

"I got a better chance of getting laid."

Continue the complete article:
http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/23316912/makebelieve_maverick
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,426 • Replies: 26
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 12:00 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Do you think McCain's had Palin yet? LOL
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 12:02 pm
with McCain I think that the problem is pathological....he seems to believe that he is his manufactured image.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 12:04 pm
@hawkeye10,
His manufactured image is working pretty well, because of his POW status.

The question becomes, are all POWs presidential material?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 12:15 pm
This is a 10-page article that should be read by all Americans. Read the complete article here or buy a copy of Rolling Stones magazine. The last few pages will scare you. If it doesn't, you are brain dead.

McCain should not get a single electoral college vote. He is not fit to be president. Turns out my previous description of John McCain as a phony and a scumbag was not strong enough. I should have added he's "amoral" and "psycotic."

BBB
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 12:33 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
a bush clone, a second rate off spring desperate to be good enough the measure up to daddy, not, and willing to do anything and believe anything so that they can believe that they are as good as daddy.

Bush was a disaster as a president, and should McCain live long enough to establish a record he would be just as bad.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 12:39 pm
@hawkeye10,
Hawkeye, McCain is more more psychotic than Bush. He is dangerously psychotic. It's beginning to show publically now that he appears to be losing his campaign.

BBB
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 12:48 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
The reason McCain selected Palin for veep is that Palin is psychotic too! She's now saying that Obama has terrorist friends.

Conservatives still don't "get it."
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 12:49 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I agree, it is mainly because McCain is older and the disorder has had more time to do damage. Also, bush was self medicated for many years which slowed the effects. However, the roots of the psychosis are the same I think.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 12:56 pm
@hawkeye10,
another thing, we should indistinctly have questions about a guy who firmly believes that being beaten made him a man, proves his manliness. That America does not bat an eyelash at his story that being beaten as a POW makes him a superior man shows how messed up America has become about the definition of a strong man. A strong man would not advertise being beat upon.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 02:14 pm
@hawkeye10,
You can't blame McCain for that; it sells in America. Says more about Americans than McCain.
Debra Law

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 02:52 pm
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll86/pattisigh/rollingstonemagazinejohnmccainmagaz.jpg
JTT

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 02:58 pm
@Debra Law,
And don't forget the little vp.

Quote:
Mad Dog Palin
The scariest thing about John McCain's running mate isn't how unqualified she is - it's what her candidacy says about America

"She [Palin] totally reminds me of my cousin!" the delegate screeched. "She's a real woman! The real thing!"

I stared at her open-mouthed. In that moment, the rank cynicism of the whole sorry deal was laid bare. Here's the thing about Americans. You can send their kids off by the thousands to get their balls blown off in foreign lands for no reason at all, saddle them with billions in debt year after congressional year while they spend their winters cheerfully watching game shows and football, pull the rug out from under their mortgages, and leave them living off their credit cards and their Wal-Mart salaries while you move their jobs to China and Bangalore.

And none of it matters, so long as you remember a few months before Election Day to offer them a two-bit caricature culled from some cutting-room-floor episode of Roseanne as part of your presidential ticket. And if she's a good enough likeness of a loudmouthed Middle American archetype, as Sarah Palin is, John Q. Public will drop his giant-size bag of Doritos in gratitude, wipe the Sizzlin' Picante dust from his lips and rush to the booth to vote for her. Not because it makes sense, or because it has a chance of improving his life or anyone else's, but simply because it appeals to the low-humming narcissism that substitutes for his personality, because the image on TV reminds him of the mean, brainless slob he sees in the mirror every morning.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/23318320/mad_dog_palin

You can access the whole article at the URL above.

BBB, it seems that we can only read the first page of the McCain article. I guess that's 'cause it's a new one.
JTT

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 03:00 pm
@JTT,
Found my way to the whole article.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 03:32 pm
@JTT,
What discourages me more than anything right now is what happened to the reasoned voice of the conservatives? Are they so afraid of the own shadows, that they will allow their party's candidate to lie? Can't they see the harm they are doing? Palin's message today is "Obama is a friend to terrorists."

Don't they have any shame?
JTT

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 04:00 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
CI wrote:
Don't they have any shame?

Have you ever known any of them to have any shame, CI? They just keep on, all the while avoiding the mess they've created or helped to create.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 04:08 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I would not blame McCain if he was selling soap and claiming that his goal was to make money. McCain is selling himself and claiming that his goal is to make America a better place. The fact that I said that the operatives sell America part hacks as if they are selling soap does not mean that I approve of the practice.

Re the conservative movement....back three years ago most observers said that it was clear that the movement was bankrupt, and so it is. The main father figure was Reagan, a not particularly intellectually gifted actor who has with the crash of 08 had most of his most important ideas proven wrong, a great cost to the nation. Following Reagan will cost us losing our global supremacy position fifty years before we would have had we managed ourselves better. after Reagan came the Gingrich, Lott, Abramoff type jack boot crowd, they who where on a mission to remake America into what they wanted it to be, always with their hands out to enrich themselves along the way. The final straw was the selling of the incompetent Bush to the nation , and backing him up with cheney-rove-rumsfeld trio who's goal was to cement the movement securely into power for the foreseeable future.

The right has been proven corrupt, incompetent and wrong often enough now that those who still have the ability to think for themselves know that there is no there there. Trouble is that the other party has nothing either, they have had no ideas which might be better that the right's bad ideas, but that depends upon who is doing the looking.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 04:35 pm
If you haven't read the article on McCain, you really have to, more than once. The sum total of John McCain's life is that of a filthy, craven scum, a lying, back-stabbing opportunist, an incompetent know nothing who has no need to understand anything because he fits himself to whatever situation fits John McCain best.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 04:46 pm
@JTT,
Jtt, it's a long article because there is a lifetime to report about McCain. I already knew about a lot of McCain's history, but there is a lot of information I was unaware of. I was surprised to find that a world-class magazine would publish the truth about McCain. When I posted on A2K the last two months what I knew about McCain, the A2K Republicans attacked me in his defense. After they read this post, if they read it, I wonder if they will attack me that way again. I hope they realize that McCain is not fit to be president---not even senator.

I sent my post to several friends and hope they pass it along to their friends. It's that important. It's even worth buying the Rolling Stone magazine as soon as it is on the newsstands.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 05:05 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

You can access the whole article at the URL above.

BBB, it seems that we can only read the first page of the McCain article. I guess that's 'cause it's a new one.

You can read the whole article at this link, the print preview page for the article as one page:

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/23316912/makebelieve_maverick/print