How to Overcome Resentment

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 04:38 pm
How to Overcome Resentment

Quote:
Can you recall the last time you held a grudge against someone? Perhaps it was a friend who betrayed you, a stranger who wronged you, a lover who left, or a parent who unintentionally hurt you. Perhaps this has happened recently and feelings of regret, resentment, and injustice are fresh enough that it still stings. What can we do to overcome these feelings and painful memories?

I recently received an abrasive and angry email from someone falsely accusing me of something on a personal level. I was shocked and hurt. The “Cave Woman” in me jumped out and my initial instinct was to write something hurtful back to her, in an act of self defense. My second instinct was to give her a list of reasons why she was wrong, in an attempt to refute her false accusations, thus defending my ego.

In the end, my rational self knew that engaging with her would only trigger more negativity, so I didn’t. I woke up the next morning with defensive thoughts running through my head, like a dark cloud, hovering over me. Thoughts of retaliation had been dancing around in my mind in what seemed to be a never-ending cycle.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,426 • Replies: 2
No top replies

JPB

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 04:49 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I heard a very similar sermon last week. The speaker opened by stating that creators of "forgiveness" seminars noticed that most of their participants were women. When they retitled the seminars to "Grudge Management" the room filled with men.

I've been using the unattributed quote in this article as my sigline. It's Malachy McCourt, brother of Frank McCourt who is the author of Angela's Ashes and other works.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 06:34 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I overcome resentment by telling the person how they made me feel. Then I am pretty much done and over with it.
0 Replies