aidan

Tue 4 Nov, 2008 09:47 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Yeah - what happened to my career in education - that's been the only casualty in this whole undertaking. I do miss it - pretty intensely really - and I ask myself if making food and selling it to people who might not even need it is in any way benefiting society....but I'm trying this for a year. I bought the lease from this guy who needed to sell for a year. He charged me half of what he wanted to make with the understanding that if, at the end of a year, I don't want to continue, I can sell to someone else and split the profit with him, make my initial investment back and walk away - or if I want to, I can pay him the other half and stay on.

It's going great. People really like it - the ambiance and the food apparently fill a niche here. I'll post a picture or two when I get them downloaded. I took some today to send to my parents.

You've still got that sense of humor- huh? I meant MEDITATE- didn't I? You figured that out....
OmSigDAVID

Tue 4 Nov, 2008 11:31 am
@aidan,
Yeah; I thought u had your old English job back before u left here.

R u glad that u went back ?

I 'm glad that your business is flourishing.
Describe the ambiance ?
What 's on the menu ?

O, I c.
I thawt the long distance bike rider was teaching u
how to mediate.

The Ambassador Grill just called,
confirming Mensa 's reservation for 2 P.M. on Christmas Day !
It has a really good bufa on Christmas Day

I look forward to c ing u again, soon.

David

Bella Dea

Tue 4 Nov, 2008 12:33 pm
My personal favorite.

http://partners.static.cityvoter.com/GetImage.ashx?img=00/00/00/00/95/67/9567-389114.jpg&w=377
OmSigDAVID

Tue 4 Nov, 2008 02:06 pm
@Bella Dea,
Tha 't s clever.

I take it that black thing
is the bottom part of the husband sticking out
0 Replies

aidan

Wed 5 Nov, 2008 11:07 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I did have my old job if I wanted it - but I couldn't find a house nearby and I ended up moving into a village that would have added another fifteen minutes onto a commute that was already close to an hour. What with the petrol prices, etc...I just couldn't see doing it.

So I had found a great house and I was talking to this guy who owned this place about my predicament and he said that I should just buy his place as he was throwing in the towel and I said, 'No, but I'll work for you and help you spruce it up - you could exhibit my photos on your wall' and he said, 'No, but you could buy it and put whatever you want on the wall,' so I said,'I don't know anything about running a restaurant,' and he said, 'It's not rocket science,' so I talked to Justin and he said he'd cook and I'd be the smiley American out front and it'd be a sure fire hit. So I bought it.
Then Justin quit and came back and quit and came back and this point seems to have quit although he still talks about coming back, except that I've hired a wonderful cook named Katrina with whom I work really well and we just talk about stuff like - 'Is there an afterlife?' and why does the media portray Americans so negatively - and isn't it great that Obama won...
(I bet you're none to pleased with that - but - oh yes - I am)

Anyway -it's five minutes from my house and in the midst of a very friendly and supportive village where my family and I are well known from the last time we were here.

Menu:
Breakfast
Traditional English breakfast: choice of eggs, bacon, sausage, beans, mushrooms, tomatoes, and toast (4 items, 6 items, or 8 items)
Ham, eggs, and chips
Scrambled egg with smoked salmon
Bagel with cream cheese and smoked salmon
Pancakes
French toast ( my special recipe with vanilla, cinnamon topped with fresh raspberries and choice of cream cheese or maple syrup)
Porridge (served with cream and flavored with nutmeg

Rest of the day....(I close when I feel like it - never before five though)
Soup of the day - today was either corn chowder or jambalaya
Trio of local sausages with mashed potatoes with onion gravy
Spaghetti bolognaise
Cottage pie served with seasonal locally grown vegetables
Hamburger or Chicken burger served with handcut chips and salad
Vegetarian lasagne served with side salad and crusty bread
Greek salad tossed with olives, feta and traditional greek dressing
Black bean and/or chicken fajitas
And then I throw in some American favorites like meat loaf or I might make a vegetable curry or something for specials

Sandwiches - turkey, ham, roast beef, roast chicken, tuna, bacon, brie and cranberry, cheddar and avacado served on white, wheat, wrap, ciabatta or bagel
or a traditional american club sandwich

Lighter bites:
Toasted tea cake, scones, warm french breakd served with butter or olive oil and selection of olives, hand cut chips served with melted cheese, etc.

Desserts - lemon cheese cake, chocolate cake (very moist - not at all dry - remember that at Tavern on the Green?) carrot cake, milk shakes (strawberry, chocolate or banana-these are killer milkshakes - believe me) and/or ice cream with hot fudge, whipped cream and sprinkles, brownies, chocolate chip peanut butter cookies, sour cream pound cake (this is my forte - I do all the baking).

Ambiance: really warm - Justin described it as having a minimalist, sort of Japanese tea room sort of look and feel. The walls are red, the woodwork is cream and the floor is beech wood. The walls are covered in photos matted in white with black frames. Dishes are white - cups are brown, red or white. I have this dessert cabinet that gives it kind of a retro look. I have a nice white chair that you can sit in and read the paper while you drink your coffee. I also have scrabble and backgammon available and sometimes people play. I've put some of my favorite newspapers and periodicals to read.
One woman who comes in quite a lot says she finds it peaceful and soothing.
I have two artists who are eager to display their work and ideally that's what I'd like to encourage it to be - a place where people who have no other outlet can display their creative efforts.

Hope you are well David - talk to you again sometime soon maybe-take care-
Rebecca

OmSigDAVID

Wed 5 Nov, 2008 12:50 pm
@aidan,
No meat lasagna ?

Qua the Spaghetti bolognaise, u might consider
offering it with angle hair pasta instead of spaghetti.

R u near London ?
aidan

Sat 8 Nov, 2008 11:09 am
@OmSigDAVID,
amgel hair pasta is hard to find over here. If I had a reliable supplier - I would. It happens to be a family favorite.

I did offer meat lasagne to begin with, but I have to go to the butcher almost every day and to be honest it kind of sickens me. I'm not a big meat eater to begin with and really would rather not handle it (although I realize as a restaurant owner I HAVE to).
But I don't like the smell of it - so I cut it out whenever I can and when I can't, I let other people prepare it.

And this spinach lasagne is really good - people here call it LUSH.. so I'm sticking with that for now.

I expected to hear you say something about the election outcome. No comment to make David?

No, I'm not too, too near London - about two hours due west.
OmSigDAVID

Sun 9 Nov, 2008 12:56 am
@aidan,
Quote:

amgel hair pasta is hard to find over here.
If I had a reliable supplier - I would.
It happens to be a family favorite.

I bought a pasta machine from an infomercial on TV.
It makes many different shapes n thicknesses of pasta from your dough,
including angel hair.

If u acquire such a machine,
u can make your own pasta fresh, to your own specifications.

Quote:

I'm not a big meat eater to begin with and really would rather not
handle it (although I realize as a restaurant owner I HAVE to).
But I don't like the smell of it - so I cut it out whenever I can

So THAT 's Y u did not have the Beef Wellington
at 17 Barrow Street !

Quote:

I expected to hear you say something about the election outcome.
No comment to make David?

It was ineffably bad,
taken in combination with the Demos control of both houses of Congress.
0 Replies