ehBeth

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 04:44 pm
Michael Moore puts movie on Web for free

Quote:
Its subject is the run-up to the U.S. presidential election of 2004, when filmmaker Michael Moore staged anti-George W. Bush rallies in a last-ditch attempt to galvanize a massive youth turnout for Democratic Party candidate John Kerry.

But Slacker Uprising, Moore's latest full-length feature, is clearly targeting November's presidential race.

And to make sure as many people as possible get the message, Moore released the 98-minute documentary free of charge yesterday on the Internet (www.slackeruprising.com) to U.S. and Canadian citizens, claiming it's a gift to his fans.

The free download of the film, an earlier version of which screened at the Toronto International Film Festival last year, will run for three weeks. It can be downloaded in other countries for $9.95.

Slacker Uprising chronicles Moore's efforts to bolster Kerry's ailing campaign in a 45-day U.S. tour of 62 cities in 20 "battleground" states, mostly in college arenas, during which he is seen encouraging self-confessed non-voters " even by offering them packages of Ramen noodles and clean underwear " to get out to the polls.

With the help of student-friendly musicians R.E.M. (they don't perform in the film), Eddie Vedder, Steve Earle, Rage Against the Machine's Tom Morello and veteran protest singer Joan Baez (they do perform), as well as comedian Roseanne Barr and actor Viggo Mortensen.

Moore comes across as a pugnacious crusader storming the barricades of youthful indifference and college complacency.

As Republican opposition mounts " Moore is threatened with bribery charges over the underwear and noodles, and businessmen in Utah and California offer student organizers cash gifts of $25,000 and $100,000 respectively to cancel their events " the film takes a deceptively comic narrative turn.

When Bush supporters mount protests outside his rallies or disrupt Moore's speeches by saying the rosary or chanting "four more years!" he responds alternatively with humour and venom, reminding some detractors that they won't be excluded in a Democratic America, challening the religious contingent by asking: "Who would Jesus bomb?"

Though the filmmaker's efforts didn't turn the tide, Moore proudly points that Bush's win was the smallest margin in history, and that 54 of the 62 cities his juggernaut visited voted for Kerry.

He also takes credit for the largest turnout of 18- to 29-year-olds ever " 21 million.

His final message: "Next time (the Republicans) won't be so lucky."

In a statement released yesterday, Moore said neither he nor the stakeholders in Slacker Uprising " including the Weinstein Co. studio and digital distributors Brave New Films " will make any money from the $2 million film.

"The only return any of us are hoping for is the largest turnout of young voters ever at the polls in November," Moore said.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,265 • Replies: 11
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 05:34 pm
@ehBeth,
My Dad saw this asshat standing in front of "his" theater in Traverse City, MI a few weeks ago. If my Dad weren't 83, big fat dumbass MM would have been eating his teeth for lunch. What a clown. Seriously ehBeth, promoting this with a post is just asking for it down the road.
dyslexia

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 05:39 pm
@cjhsa,
isn't it about time for you to lock yourself in the bathroom with the latest Guns and Ammo?
cjhsa

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 05:41 pm
@dyslexia,
Isn't it about time for you to die with your boots on old acid head hippy? No threat, just a timely suggestion.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 05:42 pm
@cjhsa,
I think Lou is lookin' fer ya, Shooter my boy...

(go polish your gun while the adults speak, please.)
cjhsa

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 05:44 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

I think Lou is lookin' fer ya, Shooter my boy...

(go polish your gun while the adults speak, please.)

Go funk yourself douchebreath.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 05:50 pm
@cjhsa,
Zachary
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 06:06 pm
@cjhsa,
cjhsa wrote:

Isn't it about time for you to die with your boots on old acid head hippy? No threat, just a timely suggestion.

Clever. You will never see that on a Hallmark card.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 07:45 pm
I can not seem to find a version of this movie that gets past the REM speech.
No, Im not just looking for that.. that is just the place in which it stops.

I go through the website that it is hosted on, but no luck.

is it hosted anywhere else?
Diane

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 05:11 pm
Bookmark.
0 Replies

thegalacticemperor

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 05:27 pm
@shewolfnm,
I was able to watch it last night through the streaming on the site...

Watch it all: http://slackeruprising.com/download/location.php?utm_medium=download&utm_source=31788612

At that link, there are five ways you can watch it free and without advertising:

1. blip.tv is providing streaming right from slackeruprising.com, free of commercials and advertising.
2. Amazon Video on Demand is providing a higher resolution version of the above stream for people with lots of bandwidth.
3. iTunes makes it easy for you to download "Slacker Uprising" on your iTunes, iPod, or Apple TV, and view it there or transmit it to your television. This way, the film can be portable as well as for home viewing.
4. Hypernia is providing bandwidth and servers to host MPEG4 and DivX versions of "Slacker Uprising" online, so you can burn a DVD or download the film to watch on your computer, XBOX, or PS3.
5. Lycos is providing free streaming of the film and an on-demand version.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 05:29 pm
@thegalacticemperor,
Thanks for the additional information, emperor.
0 Replies