Has McCain's courageous act of leadership/political stunt changed any minds?

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 03:52 pm
This is laughably predictable.

All of the Conservatives and Republicans on this board are saying that McCain's suspension of his campaign, and desire to cancel the debates is a great act of selfless leadership.

All of the Liberals and Democrats on this board are saying that it was a cheap political stunt.

Bipartisanship at its best.

JTT

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 03:53 pm
@ebrown p,
Facts have a well known liberal bias.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 03:57 pm
@ebrown p,
I don't know what to think, ebrown. I consider myself to be apolitical. However, there was talk on the morning news that Senate Republicans are mostly going for whatever position McCain decides to take on the bailout.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 03:57 pm
@ebrown p,
I've changed my mind, from thinking that McCain had a shred of decency, to know thinking that he has none.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 05:22 pm
@wandeljw,
I heard the same thing, but McCain is in a catch-22 position. His influence on the bailout can be a curse or the golden egg; nobody seems to know how it'll impact "his" presidency either way.
Ramafuchs

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 05:43 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Independent Observers Agree: John McCain Is Dishonest and Dishonorable

In past elections http://factcheck.org has been an inept bunch of cowards, as likely to pollute as to clear the infosphere. There are some signs this election that they are finally waking up to reality:

FactCheck.org: McCain-Palin Distorts Our Finding: Those attacks on Palin that we debunked didn't come from Obama. A McCain-Palin ad has FactCheck.org calling Obama's attacks on Palin "completely false" and "misleading." That's what we said, but it wasn't about Obama...

FactCheck.org: Belittling Palin?: A McCain-Palin TV ad accuses Obama of being "disrespectful" of Palin, but it distorts quotes to make the case. The McCain-Palin campaign has released a new TV ad that distorts quotes from the Obama campaign. It takes words out of context...

FactCheck.org: Off Base on Sex Ed: A McCain campaign ad claims Obama's "one accomplishment" was a bill to teach sex ed to kindergarten kids. Don't believe it. A McCain-Palin campaign ad claims Obama's "one accomplishment" in the area of education was "legislation to teach 'comprehensive sex education' to kindergarteners." But the claim is simply false, and it dates back to Alan Keyes' failed race against Obama for an open Senate seat in 2004...
http://delong.typepad.com/sdj/2008/09/independent-obs.html
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 08:04 pm
Yes.

It has changed my mind from CERTAIN to vote for Obama, to
AbSOfrickinglutly Going to crawl on my HANDS and knees, on my belly and thighs through broken glass and an empty pit of industrial waste, to get to my neighborhood pols to act on it.

Joe(and the Democrats will owe you a map.Nation

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 08:50 pm
@Joe Nation,
Holy mackeral, Joe(emotive)Nation, Didn't know you had "that" much passion about this election, but, imho, you're doing the right thing.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 08:26 am
Remember, Mccain is the guy who lost the Republican primaries to George Bush, before he got senile.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 09:51 am
@kuvasz,
How is it possible that only a few of us recognize McCain's senility? Most seems to also miss his many flip-flops on the major issues of our day. Mystery.
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 10:12 am
@cicerone imposter,

McCain's courageous act sure makes Obama look like an inexperienced freshman.

old europe

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 10:22 am
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:
blah

In other words: McCain's courageous act of leadership has NOT changed your mind...
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 12:11 pm
@old europe,
Good un, oe, but that one flew over the cuckoo's nest.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 03:33 pm
I wonder if right now McCain is throwing whatever wrenches he has into the works to stall the negotiations in order to make sure that this bill doesn't get signed until after Friday. That's the only way he will really have any chance of not looking like a huge jackass here. I wouldn't put it past this ******* loose canon egomaniac.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 03:41 pm
@kickycan,
kickycan wrote:

I wonder if right now McCain is throwing whatever wrenches he has into the works to stall the negotiations in order to make sure that this bill doesn't get signed until after Friday. That's the only way he will really have any chance of not looking like a huge jackass here. I wouldn't put it past this ******* loose canon egomaniac.

He'll look like a jackass either way. There's no way that not showing up to the debate will play well for him, unless he can convince networks to cancel the thing.

I doubt they will do that, and it would still run on CNN et al for sure; You'll see McCain there.

Cycloptichorn
kickycan

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 03:44 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
He'll look like a jackass either way.

Good. This ridiculous move may well be his undoing. We can hope.
0 Replies