what's the meaning of the sentence?

grace-g

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 02:08 am
I had a hamburg which was served with a generous helping of French fries.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 12,107 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 05:24 am
@grace-g,

http://www.worldchanging.com/1172940531_fc68a109c6.jpg

Smile
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 09:07 am
@grace-g,
also, it's spelled "hamburger"...
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 11:57 am
@grace-g,
grace-g wrote:

I had a hamburg which was served with a generous helping of French fries.

My guess is that you are stuck on "a generous helping of" and that is basically saying "a large amount of". Here's a rewrite:

I ate a hamburger. The hamburger came with a lot of french fries.

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 12:32 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Hamburger lives somewhere in Ontario, don't he? And it's "Freedom fries" now, not "French fries." I think Congress passed a law about that before the Pelosi bunch took over.
0 Replies

generaljin

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 10:42 pm
@grace-g,
what's the meaning of a generous helping of, is that the meaning of : a lot of help of, is it correct?
Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 10:44 pm
@generaljin,
No, in this context a "helping" is a "serving" so it references the amount of fries served.
0 Replies

regkipling

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2009 08:12 pm
@Region Philbis,
A Hamburger is a resident of Hamburg. A generous helping implies assistance. Fries may not be healthy assistance. Even so, looking at the picture makes me hungry. A pavlovian response perhaps. :-)

Best wishes.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 09:25 am
Some people would feel dizzy and fatigue after having eaten McDonalds's hamburger.
aidan

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 09:27 am
@oristarA,
Some people will feel dizziness and fatigue after having eaten a McDonald's hamburger. Laughing Laughing

I myself feel 'unbearably weighted down and impure...' Laughing
(that's a joke)
Mame

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 07:48 am
@generaljin,
generaljin wrote:

what's the meaning of a generous helping of, is that the meaning of : a lot of help of, is it correct?

With respect to food, a "helping" is a portion, an amount, so in this context, you'd be given a generous portion of fries. A goodly amount of fries. "Helping" in your sentence has nothing to do with assistance. They are two different meanings of the same word.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 08:29 am
@aidan,
Or:
Some people will feel dizzy and exhausted after having eaten a McDonald's hamburger?
aidan

Reply Thu 15 Oct, 2009 08:57 am
@oristarA,
Yes- that works too.
0 Replies

J Lord

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2011 10:45 pm
@grace-g,
yes, 'generous helping' means a 'large serving'. Now I wonder if 'helping' should mean you 'helped yourself' as at a salad bar or buffet, and 'serving' would be what the waiter or waitress brought you? Maybe that's why some people now simply say 'portions' instead of helpings or servings.
0 Replies

J Lord

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2011 10:46 pm
@Region Philbis,
Dang! And I thought someone had made a comment that if such and such was so, they'd eat their hat (the 'hamburg') and decided to have some fries on the side. Oops! My mistake! That would have been spelled 'homburg' and fries. No doubt someone will now post a photo of a homburg hat, inverted, and filled with a generous portion of fries. LOL
Great photo of the hamburger and fries!
J Lord

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2011 10:49 pm
@oristarA,
Lots of people feel sleepy after eating because your body draws blood from the brain to work on digesting the food. Never schedule high school trigonometry class for immediately following lunch. I found out the hard way.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2011 06:53 am
@J Lord,
Quote:
No doubt someone will now post a photo of a homburg hat, inverted, and filled with a generous portion of fries. LOL
couldn't find one...

will you settle for http://images3.cpcache.com/product/restaurant-i+love+french+fries-i+heart+french+fries/57914203v8_225x225_Front.jpgQuestion
0 Replies

snj

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2013 08:47 am
@grace-g,
I had a hamburger which was served with French Fries.
0 Replies