Finnish gunman kills 10, self

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 06:09 pm
Well, I thought I'd drop in on the thread on this story to see what the usual loud voices were up to, but was surprised to see that no thread existed.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/youtube-gunman-slaughters-10-students-940306.html

Gist of story: Finnish kid posted videos to Youtube that he had made at a firing range. During the course of the last video, he turned the gun on the camera and said "You will die next." On 9/22, he was questioned by police and let go after they determined his permit for the firearm in the video was legitimate. On 9/23, he went to his cooking school and opened fire.

All right, go to it kids...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,791 • Replies: 6
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 06:10 pm
@patiodog,
Yeah.

Saw this, shook my head. Sighed. No particular reaction beyond that yet.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 06:15 pm
@patiodog,
Just saw this at the BBC. I'm tired of it.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 07:21 pm
@patiodog,
Damn awful guns anyway! Geesh, maybe we should ban them. That would make the criminals and madmen all go away.

Wouldn't it?
Derevon

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 05:36 am
@cjhsa,
Don't you think it's an interesting "coincidence" that these things have a tendency to occur in the USA and in Finland, two of the countries in the world with the most liberal gun laws?

The point is that the kind of people responsible for such shootings are not criminals per se. They're disillusioned young people who're fed up with society. Probably very introvert too. They probably wouldn't even know how to obtain a gun illegally. If Finland had had the same gun laws as here in Sweden for example, this shooting and the one that took place less than a year ago in another Finnish city would never have taken place I'm pretty sure.

Of course you could argue that if he hadn't used a gun, he could have used a knife or whatever, but then he surely wouldn't have been able to kill 10 people.
Paaskynen

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 01:49 pm
@patiodog,
I work at a Finnish University of Applied Sciences, the same type of school as was affected by this latest atrocity. Our foreign students do not feel safe in Finland anymore. Only yesterday an ignorant racist bastard came to a dormitory and threatened our students with a gun. The police arrested him and claimed it was a replica gun, but the students aren't sure. He will soon be out again and being an evil idiot he will just as soon be at it again, just until something serious happens. The law does not give the police the right to do anything effective until after people get hurt.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 02:08 pm
@Derevon,
Quote:
The point is that the kind of people responsible for such shootings are not criminals per se. They're disillusioned young people who're fed up with society.

So its societies fault?

WHY?
Are you saying that if his girlfriend hadnt dumped him, or if he hadnt been picked on, or if he had been allowed to have a car, or if he hadnt had pimples, or any one of a thousand other things that he wouldnt have committed the shootings?

0 Replies