$700 Billion BAIL-OUT Legislation

squinney

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 02:42 pm
@Debra Law,
I heard that during the hearings as well. I was surprised none of the media picked up on that and pounded it ovr and over again as they should have.

Talking to someone in my office yesterday, she said "Well, it all started during Clinton."

So I looked it up on Wikipedia.

Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
The Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act, also known as the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Financial Services Modernization Act, Pub.L. 106-102, 113 Stat. 1338, enacted 1999-11-12, is an Act of the United States Congress which repealed part of the Glass-Steagall Act, opening up competition among banks, securities companies and insurance companies. The Glass-Steagall Act prohibited a bank from offering investment, commercial banking, and insurance services.

Quote:
The bills were introduced in the Senate by Phil Gramm (R-TX) and in the House of Representatives by James Leach (R-IA) and Thomas Bliley (R-VA). The bills were passed by a 54-44 vote largely along party lines with Republican support in the Senate[1] and by a 343-86 vote in the House of Representatives[2]. Nov 4, 1999: After passing both the Senate and House the bill was moved to a conference committee to work out the differences between the Senate and House versions. Democrats agreed to support the bill only after Republicans agreed to strengthen provisions of the Community Reinvestment Act and address certain privacy concerns.[3]

The final bipartisan bill resolving the differences was passed in the Senate and was signed into law by President Bill Clinton on November 12, 1999. [4]

The banking industry had been seeking the repeal of Glass-Steagall since at least the 1980s. In 1987 the Congressional Research Service prepared a report which explored the case for preserving Glass-Steagall and the case against preserving the act.[5]

So, it was Republicans that did this. It's Republicans holding out now to get a better deal since Bush / Paulson aren't going to get their $700 billion handed to them on a silver platter with no strings attached. The Republican holdouts ar still pushing this same ideology in their holdout offer. And, Isn't Gramm also McCains economic guru?
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 02:46 pm
@squinney,
That's an excellent find, because the conservatives are already blaming Clinton - as usual - for all the "current" problems.

There was also another biased article about this very same topic written by a neoconservative blaming Clinton by mentioning the same legislation.

They are continually showing they have no ethics.

0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 03:48 pm
@squinney,
Squinney wrote: "And, Isn't Gramm also McCains economic guru?"

Absolutely. Gramm is McCain's chief economic advisor and co-chair of his campaign. Gramm is also the one who proclaimed that America is suffering a "mental recession" and is a "nation of whiners."

More information on Gramm here: Key Player in Subcrime Crisis is one of Sen. McCain's Key Economic Advisors

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 04:09 pm
@Debra Law,
Obama needs to remind McCain and Americans that Gramm is McCain's top economic's guru during the debate, and repeat what Gramm said about Americans.
talk72000

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 09:09 am
@cicerone imposter,
Naomi Klein's Shock Doctrine is in place. They were waiting forthe crisis to reach boiling point that way Democrats would have little time to check and ruminate over what they were digesting. Democrats should not rush. Do the minimum and then then have more meetings to solve it later. Pass a temporary limited bill to be revised at the next meeting.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 10:09 am
Has anyone explained yet, how they arrived at the figure of $700 billion?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 10:14 am
@CalamityJane,
No, they didn't. But the pundits are now saying that congress cannot change that number, because the whole world knows what most people expect, and it's more about "confidence" than the number. They know it had to be "big" to return confidence to the housing and stock markets.
JPB

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 10:24 am
@squinney,
Quote:
The banking industry had been seeking the repeal of Glass-Steagall since at least the 1980s. In 1987 the Congressional Research Service prepared a report which explored the case for preserving Glass-Steagall and the case against preserving the act.[5]

That's the one we should be reading!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 10:24 am
@cicerone imposter,
Hah! The word confidence in conjunction with government won't be used
for a very long time.

I am still looking for an explanation for the figure of $ 700 billion though,
and what's even more mind boggling: no one has questioned the number yet!
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 10:26 am
@CalamityJane,
Here is what the NY Times has to say:

Quote:
How did the politicians come up with that number, and could it go higher?

A. The recovery package cannot go higher than $700 billion without additional legislation. As for that figure, it lies between the optimistic estimate of $500 billion and the pessimistic guess of $1 trillion about the cost of fixing the financial mess. But the $700 billion is in addition to an $85 billion agreement on a bailout of the insurance giant American International Group, plus $29 billion in support that the government pledged in the marriage of Bear Stearns and JPMorgan Chase. On top of all that, the Congressional Budget Office says the federal bailout of the mortgage finance companies Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac could cost $25 billion.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/21/business/21qanda.html?em
JTT

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 10:50 am
@CalamityJane,
If McCain's presence was so all-fired important, then why was he awol?

Quote:
Graham on bailout negotiations: ‘You can’t phone something like this in.’

This morning on Fox News Sunday, Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) praised Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) for returning to Washington to help the bailout negotiations, saying his presence was vital to the negotiations:

John didn’t phone this one in. … You can’t phone something like this in. Thank God John came back.

Of course, though McCain made much of his rushing back to Washington after Friday’s debate, it turns out that he never went to Capitol Hill, where lawmakers stayed late working on the bailout. The New York Times reports that McCain was at his apartment “until 12:30 p.m. Saturday, when he emerged and made a one-minute trip in his motorcade to his campaign headquarters around the corner.” A McCain aide explained that “he can effectively do what he needs to do by phone.”

UPDATE: On ABC’s This Week today, McCain said, “I came back because I wasn’t going to phone it in.”

UPDATE II: Politico reports, “As his colleagues worked on the deal at the Capitol Saturday night, McCain and his wife, Cindy, dined with Sen. Joe Lieberman and his wife, Hadassah, at Cafe Mozu inside Washington’s Mandarin Oriental Hotel.”

UPDATE III: The Washington Post has more details on McCain’s disengagement:

In the wake of Thursday’s “disaster,” McCain was no longer interested in remaining locked in negotiations. He spent only 90 minutes on Capitol Hill on Friday, most of it in conversations with House Republicans, trying to persuade them to rejoin talks with Democrats.

House Minority Leader John A. Boehner was “really pissed,” said one participant in the meeting with McCain. Boehner felt as if he had been set up for an “assault” at the White House, the participant said.

http://thinkprogress.org/2008/09/28/graham-phone/
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 11:10 am
@CalamityJane,
I posted this already, CJ. It was easier to locate the source than the posting.

Quote:

The Paulson Plan
Bad News For The Bailout
Brian Wingfield and Josh Zumbrun 09.23.08, 6:39 PM ET

"The secretary and the administration need to know that what they have sent to us is not acceptable," says Committee Chairman Chris Dodd, D-Conn. The committee's top Republican, Alabama Sen. Richard Shelby, says he's concerned about its cost and whether it will even work.

In fact, some of the most basic details, including the $700 billion figure Treasury would use to buy up bad debt, are fuzzy.

"It's not based on any particular data point," a Treasury spokeswoman told Forbes.com Tuesday. "We just wanted to choose a really large number."

Wow.

http://www.forbes.com/home/2008/09/23/bailout-paulson-congress-biz-beltway-cx_jz_bw_0923bailout.html

The folks at the WH are either brain dead or they have cojones the size of Texas.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 11:33 am
@CalamityJane,
No, actually, congress is questioning that number by saying they will portion out that money and see what progress is made. They are setting up some "oversite" on this money, and not giving Paulson carte blanche; a huge difference from the original demand from Paulson and Bernanke. They can't be trusted; a lesson still not learned by congress.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 12:07 pm
It's sickening, isn't it, JTT?

cicerone, Bernanke and Paulson should resign. That's the honorable thing
to do, especially Paulson who used to be CEO of Goldman Sachs.

I can't believe that there isn't more of an outcry from the American people.
This should be grounds for impeachment, a revolution or the very least
a huge uproar to stop this nonsense. Are we all that dense (I mean as a
nation)?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 12:08 pm
@CalamityJane,
I should resign? From what? ROFL It that's what it takes to retain my honor...
squinney

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 12:10 pm
@CalamityJane,
YEAH!!! OFF WITH CICERONES HEAD!!!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 12:12 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Haha, that was funny Very Happy Laughing

I should rephrase: cicerone, don't you think Bernanke and Paulson should resign?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 12:15 pm
@CalamityJane,
You have to ask? LOL
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 12:15 pm
i seem to be the only fan of Paulson, so it goes.
Miller

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 12:19 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

i seem to be the only fan of Paulson, so it goes.

Are you lonely?
0 Replies