$700 Billion BAIL-OUT Legislation

Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 11:53 am
@gungasnake,
It is not **** but American way of life.
Would you mind to explain those simple two words.
AMERICAN DREAMS
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 11:59 am
@Debra Law,
It's complete bullshit, Debra. I can't believe the arrogance and hubris coming from these guys. I hope the Dems just turn them the hell down and explain to the American people that we aren't giving them what they are asking for, which is basically dictatorial control over our Free Markets.

Quote:

NOTE: Paulson claims if the CEOs are penalized by placing caps on their compensation, or if the taxpayers demand anything more than bearing the burden for the entire financial risk, then the proposed program won't be effective.

What a bunch of crap!

If the companies are truly failing, they won't have any choice but to take whatever terms we offer, a la AIG.

If they aren't failing, why are we bailing them out!!!!

Geez

Cycloptichorn
maporsche

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 12:27 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

They're still claiming we're not in a recession now. How many of you are living better today than when our president was Bill Clinton, raise your hands.

+1.....I make 4 times more annual salary, have bought 2 homes, yadda, yadda.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 12:30 pm
OBAMA CAMPAIGN ALERT:

Obama is warning fat cat CEOs, if they think they can threaten to derail the economic rescue program because they don't want to sacrifice their multi-million dollars compensation packages--DON'T do that. This is not a welfare for the wealthy program.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 12:36 pm
@Debra Law,
link?

I think the Dems should vote against this plan. The Republicans aren't going to vote for it. They hope to get the Dems and Bush to pass it, and then run against that this Fall.

Dems, don't let them do that!

Cycloptichorn
Debra Law

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 12:39 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
It's happening now--watching on MSNBC

Found this LINK on CNN

HAPPENING NOW: Obama talks economy

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/09/23/happening-now-obama-talks-economy/

EXCERPT:

Quote:
Given that fact, the President’s stubborn inflexibility is both unacceptable and disturbingly familiar. This is not the time for my-way-or-the-highway intransigence from anyone involved. It’s not the time for fear or panic. It’s the time for resolve, responsibility, and reasonableness.

And it is wholly unreasonable to expect that American taxpayers would or should hand this Administration or any Administration a $700 billion blank check with absolutely no oversight or conditions when a lack of oversight in Washington and on Wall Street is exactly what got us into this mess.

Now that the American people are being called upon to finance this solution, the American people have the right to certain protections and assurances from Washington.

First, the plan must include protections to ensure that taxpayer dollars are not used to further reward the bad behavior of irresponsible CEOs on Wall Street. There has been talk that some CEOs may refuse to cooperate with this plan if they have to forgo multi-million-dollar salaries. I cannot imagine a position more selfish and greedy at a time of national crisis. And I would like to speak directly to those CEOs right now: Do not make that mistake. You are stewards for workers and communities all across our country who have put their trust in you. With the enormous rewards you have reaped come responsibilities, and we expect and demand that you to live up to them. This plan cannot be a welfare program for Wall Street executives.....

0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 12:45 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
As a non_American i don't wish the simple Americans dream getting shattered .
But i do join With all the humanbeings around the world to expose the AMERICAN WAY OF LIFE
Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 12:50 pm
@Ramafuchs,
I get quite confused in this forum.
i had posted the above response in another thread.
But Able2know computer is transporting my answer which has no connection of this subject.
Sorry.
( I will delete and make it invisible those responses from me so that others can chat while 386 visitors are not participating.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 12:51 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn: "I think the Dems should vote against this plan. The Republicans aren't going to vote for it. They hope to get the Dems and Bush to pass it, and then run against that this Fall. Dems, don't let them do that!"

I AGREE! Let's spend that $700 BILLION revitalizing our country and the economy from the BOTTOM up. The Republican trickle DOWN economics is a big failure.

It's akin to our failure to adequately finance education and early intervention programs for troubled youth. When the youth of America grow up illiterate and uneducated with few opportunities or little hope, they end up in minimum wage jobs, joining gangs, taking drugs, and resorting to crime. Result: We have to spend billions for our war on crime and to build HUGE prison complexes to warehouse these throw-away Americans.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 12:54 pm
@Debra Law,
That's already happened in our country; we spend some $70,000/year on our prisoners, and a very small percentage of that on our children in school. Even the prisons are better equipped than our schools; newer and better as more investments go into prisons rather than our schools.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 12:58 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I'll look into per prisoner vs per student expenditures in California, and report back.

• California will spend $10 billion on prisons in fiscal 2007-08, a 9% increase from last year
• The state will spend $12 billion on higher education, almost a 6% increase from last year (the actual total is about $10.2 billion after money for financial aid and other noninstructional programs are subtracted)
• If the spending patterns hold, spending on higher education will grow about 5% a year; spending on prisons will grow at least 9% a year
• In fiscal 2012-13, prisons spending will equal about $15.4 billion a year; higher education spending will only be about $15.3 billion a year
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 01:02 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Here's an interesting study on aging prisoners and their cost:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/07/05/state/n090037D66.DTL&tsp=1
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 01:05 pm
@cicerone imposter,
From California Progress Report:

Quote:
Some of the facts and findings from this report from the PPIC’s release on this report:

Since 1990, the number of prisoners in California has risen three times faster than the overall adult population, standing at almost 168,000 in 2005. Adults younger than 25 years old account for a declining segment of the prison population (declining from 20% in 1990 to 14% in 2005), while the share of adults age 50 and older has nearly tripled (rising from 4% to 11%). What accounts for this shift? Surprisingly " given that criminological research tells us young people are the most likely group to commit crimes " older adults are increasingly being admitted to prison. Additionally, more inmates are aging in prison because tougher sentencing laws lead to more time served.

The graying of the state’s inmate population raises the prospect of soaring health care costs " a prospect that is even more ominous in light of a recent federal court-appointed receiver’s report that says California’s prison health care system is in a state of almost complete disrepair. Prior research estimates that the expense of housing, transporting, and caring for elderly inmates is two-to-three times higher than for other prisoners. “Whether or not federal actions will bring relief remains to be seen, but providing medical and health care to California’s prisoners is on its way to being an acute financial challenge,” says PPIC research associate Amanda Bailey, who co-authored the study with PPIC research associate Joseph Hayes.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 01:11 pm
@cicerone imposter,
CI wrote: "That's already happened in our country; we spend some $70,000/year on our prisoners, and a very small percentage of that on our children in school. Even the prisons are better equipped than our schools; newer and better as more investments go into prisons rather than our schools."

When I actively practiced law, I represented many troubled kids who found themselves locked into the juvenile justice system. It broke my heart to see how the "system" threw these kids away and sent them to youth correctional centers (prisons). Back then, I clipped a cartoon out of the newspaper. The cartoon featured a very large prison complex surrounded by barb wire. The buildings in the complex were labeled "jale." The prison guards, lamenting about the misspelling, surmised: "Perhaps we should have spent more money on education."
Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 01:12 pm
@Debra Law,
Kindly clarify please.
The title of this thread reads
700 Billion BAIL-OUT Legislation

My simple question is this.
Is it equivalent to one year American Budget?
Or the perennial war expenses for the last few minutes( Not a typing mistakes but a funny English)
How many third world people will get a cup of water with this money?
bailing out the tax payer's money around the globe is your corporate controlled christian way ?

American politics is noise pollution and not for critical people like ME
Debra Law

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 01:20 pm
@Ramafuchs,
Here:

Budget of the U.S. Goverment
http://www.gpoaccess.gov/usbudget/

Budget of the United States Government: Browse Fiscal Year 2009
http://www.gpoaccess.gov/usbudget/fy09/browse.html

Budget for Department of Defense:
http://www.gpoaccess.gov/usbudget/fy09/pdf/budget/defense.pdf

Budget for Department of Homeland Security:
http://www.gpoaccess.gov/usbudget/fy09/pdf/budget/dhs.pdf

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 01:26 pm
@Debra Law,
I sure hope the Democrats are voting against this bail-out plan, otherwise
I'm losing faith in them too. Bernanke should resign in my opinion, he's
useless, absolutely useless in his position as a federal reserve chairman.
Paulson and Bernanke will consult with "experts"! Stupid to think that we
considered THEM to be the experts, eh?

Let Bush go down in history as being the most incompetent president ever,
and let the Republicans take responsibility for this financial crisis. - and take those greedy investment bankers with them.

It feels like being robbed, yet the robber comes back and is trying to sell
me back my own goods for double the amount.
Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 01:36 pm
@Debra Law,
I do read some of the links you had quoted above before i open A2K sir.
But don't you think that the money you had mentioned in your Title is more than the money wasted in barbaric war in IRAQ?
Debra Law

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 01:45 pm
@Ramafuchs,
Ramafuchs wrote: "But don't you think that the money you had mentioned in your Title is more than the money wasted in barbaric war in IRAQ?"

Here's an opinion article from LA Times dated March 16, 2008:

Quote:
War's price tag

By the end of 2008, the federal government will have spent more than $800 billion on combat operations in Iraq and Afghanistan (government accounts make it hard to separate the two). On top of that comes a mountain of future costs: caring for war veterans (to date, more than 1.6 million troops have been deployed), replacing the military hardware that is being used and worn out in Iraq and paying interest on the enormous sums of money we've borrowed to finance the war.

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-op-bilmes16mar16,0,389827.story

I have not verified the amount stated in the above opinion piece with references to our official budgets.

The $700 billion bail-out proposal that is currently before Congress is in ADDITION to remedial monetary actions taken by the executive branch within the last two weeks. Estimates of total taxpayer expenditures to revitalize our economy are projected to exceed a TRILLION dollars.
Debra Law

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 01:52 pm
@CalamityJane,
Jane wrote: "It feels like being robbed, yet the robber comes back and is trying to sell me back my own goods for double the amount."

AMEN. Instead of rewarding these robber-baron crooks, let's put them in jail. Yet, we're not even making them stand in the corner like a naughty child for five minutes before we give them a semi-load of lollypops.
0 Replies