Canadian Married Homosexual Couple Refused US admittance

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 03:49 pm
Sep 18, 2003 - The Associated Press
Homosexual Couple Married in Canada Angered by U.S. Refusal to Admit Them as a Family

TORONTO (AP) - A homosexual couple married in Canada said Thursday they were denied entry to the United States as a family and told they had to file individual customs forms instead.
Kevin Bourassa and Joe Varnell said they refused to do so, and their lawyer said he is looking into possible legal action for alleged violation of the couple's rights.

Bourassa and Varnell abandoned their trip to a human rights conference in Georgia after a U.S. Customs official at Toronto's Pearson International Airport refused to accept their joint customs declaration form, saying the United States doesn't recognize same-sex marriages.

"We could have filled out separate forms, but how much of your dignity do you want to have chipped away?" Bourassa said. "We feel we had an affront to our dignity, so we decided to go back home."

Beth Poisson, a U.S. Embassy spokeswoman in Ottawa, noted that U.S. law defines marriage as the legal union of a man and woman, and spouse as a member of the opposite sex.

"The customs officers were upholding U.S. law," she said.

Court rulings in Ontario and British Columbia this year made same-sex marriage legal in those provinces. Bourassa and Varnell held a wedding ceremony before the court decisions, and their marriage subsequently became legal.

The Canadian government has proposed a law legalizing same-sex marriage, but the measure is undergoing judicial review. The issue has deeply divided the nation, with conservative groups and churches leading a protest movement against the proposed bill.
------------------------------------

This story can be found at: http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGAG0C2ARKD.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 756 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Sugar

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 07:40 am
I'm trying to figure out why this is news. Gay marriage is not recognized in the US. Therefore, a gay couple could not fill out a customs form as a married couple. Sounds pretty obvious to me.

You can hope for change and vote for people that will make that change, but until it's recognized, well, it's not.

If pot was legal in Canada, they still wouldn't allow it across the US border, even if people think it should be OK.

How are their rights violated in this case? They were not denied entry, they were denied entry because they wouldn't fill out separate forms. They knew this before trying to cross. Sounds like they were setting up for a lawsuit before they got there.

When my Irish friend went to Canada for her honeymoon, she hadn't had time to change her passport. She was an Irish citizen, her husband Irish but an American citizen. They were married, but had no 'proof' with them. They filled out separate forms and went merrily on their way. They had a hell of a time getting back in - the Irish passport was problematic. She certainly didn't sue for a "violation of her civil rights". Both times they filled out separate forms. Big freaking deal.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 07:49 am
Yeah, I heard about this on the news today. This couple is doing Canada a disservice. Just so everyone is up to date, the bill squeaked by the appeal and is indeed now law. Yes, gay marriage is officially legal in Canada, and we (at least the majority of liberal-thnkers here) are all happy for it. However....these two want to make a political issue out of this minor inconvenience along the lines of "Our marriage is legal in Canada, and should therefore be recognized worldwide." Save the drama and get over it, I say. I think they just want their pictures in the paper. This reminds me of that kid who spray-painted a car in Thailand and then appealed to America to save him from a lashing, the law in that country for the offence. Puuh-leezzze...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 06:03 pm
When I first read this, I wondered what happens when polygamous (is that the right term) Mormons travel out of the U.S. and return. Do they fill out multiple forms? Then I realized they probably don't travel much. I thought it was kind of silly, initially. I'm not so sure anymore.
0 Replies