the salem witch trials

hobitbob

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2003 03:16 pm
The role of weaving as support for dissenting movements in pre-modern Europe is itself fascinating!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 11:24 am
The role of weaving as support for dissenting movements in pre-modern Europe is itself fascinating!

Is that because of the itinerent nature of the weaver's trade -- lots of songs about it!
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 12:11 pm
The Luddites rebelled against the mechanization of the of the textile trade in England between 1811 and 1816. Kirkpatrick Sale wrote a wonderful book about this: Revolt Against the Future, I believe the title is.

[Not sure what this has to do with witchcraft, but I can never resist an opportunity to resurrect the Luddites...]
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2003 08:49 am
Thanks, D'Artagnan, I forgot about the Luddites and weaving. I generally think about Silas Marner when I think of weaving and the song, which I believe is called either Four-Hand Weaver or Four-Loom Weaver sung so dramatically by Maddie Prior.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 29 Oct, 2003 04:24 am
In Germany, it was Gerhard Hauptmann (Nobel Prize for Literature in 1912), whose "The Weavers" (1893) [a humanist drama of the Silesian rebellion against the mechanisms of the Industrial Revolution in 1844] is one of his best works and still played tofay.
0 Replies

LatinsnoopyX3

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 12:13 pm
location of Salem Witch Trials?
I would lke to know were the location of the salem witch trials were held in 1962.if anyone can help me plz
0 Replies

LatinsnoopyX3

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 12:18 pm
Could any one please tell me the location of where the witch trials were held? I need it for a project. I tired lookin but I end up nowhere
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 12:54 pm
The were held in what is now Danvers Massachusetts. At the time this was a parish of Salem.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 12:56 pm
Salem makes a mint from them in the tourist trade. When we were there about three years ago, someone had put a rose on each of the markers outside the Salem cemetary which name the victims.
0 Replies

LatinsnoopyX3

Reply Sun 19 Sep, 2004 03:58 pm
Salem Witch trials
In salem 1692 are there any names of courts or buildings of the witch trials?
0 Replies