Hurricane? What hurricane?

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 06:35 am
I gathered from our BBC news here that the biggest hurricane in the world ever was about to destroy the entire US east coast. I take it this is minor exageration, as I don't think anyone in here has mentioned it!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 836 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 07:17 am
There are at least two threads about it; besides, it's mentioned in a couple more.

'Isabel' was downrated from "5" to "2", I heard in the news.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 07:19 am
Thanks (again) Walter. Seems like I've screwed up again. Which ones? The problem is that I couldn't remember it's name, which would have helped me find it.

(EDIT)

Isabel. Found it now. Thanks.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 08:22 am
You know, GD, we'd be more than happy to share with y'all, if you'd like a little excitement . . .
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 08:25 am
No thanks mate! It rains enough here as it is. One of the benefits of being a small island next to the biggest land-mass on the planet is that we get fairly boring weather!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 08:41 am
Grand Duke it is just a slow news day in the US that is all. But how costly was it to tell all federal workers in D.C and at Social Security HQ in Baltimore not to come to work.

The cost of this day off for the approximately 150,000 government employees to have a day off is likely to surpass the costs of any storm damage.

Not to worry though I hear the Pres has taken refuge at Camp David in the Northern Maryland.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 08:42 am
I thought your weather, there, was effected more by the Atlantic than by eurasia.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 08:44 am
JoanneDorel wrote:

The cost of this day off for the approximately 150,000 government employees to have a day off is likely to surpass the costs of any storm damage.

That remains to be seen - some storms do billions in damage :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 08:47 am
Correct, littlek: the British Isles lie in the path of bad weather systems called depressions that come in from the Atlantic.

The most remarkable, however, is that Britain does not have a CLIMATE. It just has WEATHER.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 08:58 am
You are right of course husker but I have a hard time with those folks in NC, SC, and VA who live on the beach they whine but do not move. They should accept the known risks and pay for it. The damage should expected and born by those people who can afford fancy houses on stilts by the ocean.

In fact I think after that last big one in 1991 or 1992 the states and feds cut them lose and now they have to pay for storm damage on their own.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 08:58 am
Not all the winds here blow in from the west or north though. What about the southerlies from Africa and easterlies from Eurasia? I was remembering some meteorology from school about islands having more stable weather. For the umpteenth time since joing A2K, I bow to superior intellects...

Walter - Of course we have a climate - it's called 'changeable'!

We did have the arse-end of a hurricane here in 1987. And I got 2 days off school 'cos the roof-tiles were scything down into the playgrounds!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 09:10 am
Agree - if they want to live on the beach they have to pay the piper.
0 Replies