Question about voter registration (USA)

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 06:22 am
Voter registration is a subject fairly unknown to me (you get here registrated automatically when you are over 18 resp. over 16, depending on the election).

Since in the run-up to the election more and more news about registrations cards that might be fraud are published, I notice in such a report today (in the Albuquerque Journal) that these or some of these cards were submitted by "third-party-registrars".

What's that? Why isn't someone registering directly but using a 'third party' (if I understand that correctly)?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 914 • Replies: 3
No top replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 06:33 am
@Walter Hinteler,
This is a topic made even more complicated by the fact that voter registration is handled by the States (and each State has its own set of rules).

Third party registration is when organizations such as churches, unions and groups associated with a certain cause have registration drives for their members or people who they meet in public. Generally these groups collect the registration forms and give them to the State (who will put them on the voter rolls).

This can be seen as a good thing since it increases public involvement in politics... but of course it is not without problems.

For example, there were reports last year of groups collecting registration forms from areas with certain demographics and then discarding them (meaning voters who thought they were registered weren't).
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2008 06:51 am
@ebrown p,
Thanks, ebrown.
I'd thought that it something like that.
(Here, if you don't get your voting details by mail a certain before the election - four weeks -, you just call/go to/email the electoral office of your municipality. [Organising elections is town's/city's affair, though the laws are either federal or state.])
Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 06:32 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
As i am curious may i get some clarification from the members here?
There was( while i was in India) no voter registration.
Some government official knock the door and ask how many( hungry )people are living in this house and tell me the age of each one.
In Germany where i live there is no voter registration.
You get a ballot card and you go the polling booth with you ID( Identity card)
In Iraq amidst the blood thirsty war people had not qued to register( same is the case in Afganisthan.
In India the prisoners are entitled to vote.
How about out lovely system in USA?
0 Replies