Rove: McCain went 'too far' in ads

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 10:16 pm
Rove: McCain went 'too far' in ads

Quote:
Former Bush adviser Karl Rove said Sunday that Sen. John McCain had gone "one step too far" in some of his recent ads attacking Sen. Barack Obama.

"McCain has gone in some of his ads -- similarly gone one step too far," he told Fox News, "and sort of attributing to Obama things that are, you know, beyond the '100 percent truth' test."

The Obama campaign immediately leaped on the quote.

"In case anyone was still wondering whether John McCain is running the sleaziest, most dishonest campaign in history, today Karl Rove -- the man who held the previous record -- said McCain's ads have gone too far," said campaign spokesman Tommy Vietor, in a statement sent to reporters minutes after Rove's on-air comments.

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 10:22 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Is there a reason you deleted this line from the copy and paste?:
Quote:
Rove has leveled similar criticism against Obama.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 10:56 pm
@Foxfyre,
Yeah, I felt I was pushing the limits of fair use even without cutting it and that one line was a whole extra paragraph awkwardly inserted in the article that didn't add much to what made this story interesting to me. I generally like to quote a paragraph or two at most, and Rove criticizing Obama isn't much of a story. This article had a lot of small paragraphs that I wanted to make the cut and I removed the least interesting one after deciding that the length of the rest of the article rendered the excerpt I ended up with a legitimate case of fair use.

To me there are two interesting things in the story, Rove criticizing a Republican in public right before a general election and Obama making the dubious claim that McCain is running the sleaziest campaign in history and seizing on this apparent honesty by Rove to push that political attack.
Cliff Hanger

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 07:30 am
@Robert Gentel,
At first I thought-- why would Rove sabatoge the Republicans chance of winning?

Here's what I think: Rove is such an Evangelical he still has no use for McCain.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 12:39 pm
@Robert Gentel,
"Rove criticizing Obama isn't much of a story"

....hence the post about Rove laying down a criticism of the tactics that characterize the party he has long represented.

It has become so low the even Rove disapproves.
It's pretty sad really.
Cliff Hanger

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 05:49 am
@candidone1,
I think it's because McCain is not Christian enough for Rove.

0 Replies