binding limitations on ...

fansy

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 06:29 pm
Quote:
In recent years the U.S. government has not set a good example, having abandoned the Anti-Ballistic Missile treaty; binding limitations on testing nuclear weapons and development of new ones; and a long-standing policy of foregoing threats of "first use" of nuclear weapons against nonnuclear states.

What does "binding" mean in the above context? Is it used as a transitive verb in "binding limitations"?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 813 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 02:44 am
@fansy,
It means "legally binding". The text is claiming that the US removed itself from legally binding treaties and suggesting that it did not have the legal right to do so.
fansy

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 06:35 am
@Robert Gentel,
Quote:
In recent years the U.S. government has not set a good example, having abandoned the Anti-Ballistic Missile treaty; binding limitations on testing nuclear weapons and development of new ones; and a long-standing policy of foregoing threats of "first use" of nuclear weapons against nonnuclear states.

It's the two semicolons that confuse me. Can I understand the sentence this way:
The US has not set a good example--
1) it has abandoned ABM;
2) it has abandoned the limitations on testing nuclear weapons and development of new ones that are legally binding;
3) it has abandoned a long-standing policy of foregoing threats of "first use" of nuclear weapons against nonnuclear states.

I am afraid I have missed the logic of Jimmy Carter's sentence because his use of the semicolon.

What do you think?
fansy

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 06:14 pm
@fansy,
Quote:

How is the word "binding" used grammatically in this context? This is another question I have in mind.
JTT

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 06:20 pm
@fansy,
Quote:
... binding limitations on testing nuclear weapons ...

How is the word "binding" used grammatically in this context? This is another question I have in mind.

It's a present participle used as an adjective, Fansy.
0 Replies