Oh fer chrissakes ... (second iteration)

Cliff Hanger

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 11:43 am
@DontTreadOnMe,
I hear you-- Karl Rove has returned and her name is Sarah Palin.

I think McCain is desperate to win--his campaign is going to look for anything and everything they can find.

I keep on thinking: the primaries went on for so long Obama was able to reverse some bad events, eg, Reverand Wright, etc. This current drama the Roveites are creating will be just a pig in the poke. (Can I say that, or is it incorrect?)

I don't think it was a mistake on Obama's part-- it's an Expression.
dyslexia

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 11:46 am
@Cliff Hanger,
karl rove = sarah palin?
hardly;
karl rove is pretty smart.
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 11:57 am
@dyslexia,
So much for putting away hostilities for this day in observance of 9/11 anniversary Rolling Eyes
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 12:02 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

So much for putting away hostilities for this day in observance of 9/11 anniversary Rolling Eyes

when all else fails, work up some john boehner tears and quaver out 9/11...
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 12:02 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
Doncha know? The GOP is now in the process of limiting speech of the liberals. They are not allowed to repeat the same words the GOP uses for anything, because it's an "attack" on them. The biggest problem I see is that it's working!

0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 12:04 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

H2O MAN wrote:

If that's your style... go for it.
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 12:18 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

DontTreadOnMe wrote:

H2O MAN wrote:

If that's your style... go for it.

and when you get busted using 9/11 as an excuse to say or do anything you want,; the fallback position is, "I know you are, but what am I?

http://popwatch.ew.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/06/15/peewee_l.jpg

Cliff Hanger

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 12:59 pm
@dyslexia,
Ho, ho. She's one shrewd cookie (can I say that?or is it un-pc?), she's cynical, biting, twists things around to fit her narrow world view and just wants to win.

Karl Rove is semi-retired, she's stepped in as the next big thing.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 01:03 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
Are you using 9/11 as an excuse?
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 01:06 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

Are you using 9/11 as an excuse?

no... that would be you. and your president, vice president, republican senators, congressman and talking heads.
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 01:08 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
You are mistaken.
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 01:29 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

You are mistaken.

just keep putting lipstick on that pig.
parados

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 01:42 pm
@H2O MAN,
You just keep pulling out the lipstick, don't you H2O Man.

No matter how much lipstick you put on the issue, it's not going to change the underlying nature. The pig is still a pig. I realize that you and Mary Kay must be tight for you to use so much lipstick..

By the way.. Why does Mary Kay have trouble walking?

Her lipstick.
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 01:52 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

By the way.. Why does Mary Kay have trouble walking?

Her lipstick.

Laughing Good one!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 03:05 pm
I wanna quote something Foxfyre wrote in another thread in approval.

Explaining why she will vote Republican, she wrote:

Foxfyre wrote:
I support the Republicans not because I think they are basically any more honest or noble than the Democrats are, but because they do at least say that they support more issues I like than do the Democrats, and [because I fear what kind of Supreme Court we will have if the Democrats win].

There is clearly a choice in the November election - more right or more left.

This is exactly what I see this race being about. If I'd explain my sympathies, I could copy this, just change "Republicans" and "Democrats" around.

This is what it's all about. This is all that counts. There's a clear choice in the elections - more right or more left. You've got two candidates, and they have a very different stand on the issues. You're the voters, and you have the chance to vote for the guy who stands more for the issues you believe in. You have a time of economic transformation on your hands, and you can choose whether America will steer through it more to the right, or more to the left.

And yet the media will have this election be about who used what expression that can remotely be construed as offensive. McCain's campaign flaks will have it be about whether Obama is too much of a celebrity. Or about whether Obama once supported a bill that would have ensured that sex ed was medically correct and that children were taught about how to ward off inappropriate touching by adults. I mean sorry - supported "comprehensive sex ed for kindergartners".

The media would have it be about whether Hillary speaks about Obama with quite enough passion in her inflections. The McCain campaign would have it be about Obama lending a phrase from a befriended politician. Or about whether he dissed rural working class folk when he talked about how some people, when everything else they knew has become unsure, end up clinging to guns and religion. The media would have it be about Obama's bowling skills, or whether he's too skinny for people to identify with.

The media want to up their ratings. They need their daily scandal. McCain and Palin want you to not think about where they stand on economic policy, on tax and abortion and health insurance and Iraq, because they know that most of you dont agree with them on the issues. They need you to talk about the daily scandal.

So it's all up to how independent of mind you guys will be. Resist the bullshit. Reflect on the basics that Foxfyre just lined out: on the issues, on the substance, which team do you more agree with?
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 03:16 pm
@parados,
But they are facts; ask any conservative.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 06:56 pm
Marc Ambinder: Keyser Soze Rules

Quote:
Don't know how many McCain campaign HQ operatives actually went to bed last night thinking that Barack Obama had offended the dignity of Gov. Sarah Palin by comparing her to swine, but when they awoke this morning to ad nauseum coverage of Obama's comments, they must have grinned.

Media entities could have had an internal conversation along the lines of: "This is stupid; let's cover the education stuff." Instead, news outlets are either giving McCain evil-genuis points for turning a nothing into a something, or are calling out the McCain campaign for being mean and duplicitous, but in any event, voters on the periphery of the conversation only hear enough to hear the accusations anyway.

If this is the dynamic from here on out -- each day dominated by an outrageous accusation by the McCain campaign, and Obama forced to defend against each outrageous claim, well, Obama is probably going to lose. The story McCain is telling -- that Obama is scary and dangerous -- may well be the dominant storyline for the next 55 days. Obama's story is much simpler: We want change. I am change. McCain is more of the same. He who gets to tell his story will win.

What can the Obama campaign do? Pray for a backlash? Ignore the national media and focus on how local newspapers, television stations and online concerns are covering the race?

There's no downside to applying the Keyser Soze rules -- go further than your opponent is willing to go. So long as you commit to this strategy 100%, it can work.
0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 05:48 am
@dyslexia,
You're correct. She's more like George Bush. She's decisive, even if she doesn't know what she's talking about. The Dem's are so screwed.
0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 06:04 am
@nimh,
Obama is becoming increasingly desperate and attacking McCain (the most recent: McCain is a computer illiterate). This petty stuff will not win over the undecided vote, as a matter of fact, it will help them run over to the Palin ticket.

I hear what you are saying, and ideally the scenario you've painted to consider the issues not personalities makes sense-- but the majority of people in this country do not vote issues, they vote gut reaction of likeablity. Sarah Palin is enormously appealing, that is, if you don't look beneath the surface.

We are in the grip of forces that do not bode well for the Democrats: Issues of toughness when it comes to national security. September 11, I'm afraid, has cemented a leg-up for the Republicans.

0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 06:17 am
@nimh,
Quote:
I don't think it was a mistake on Obama's part-- it's an Expression.
To me that statement says it all.

Quote:
I support the Republicans not because I think they are basically any more honest or noble than the Democrats are, but because they do at least say that they support more issues I like than do the Democrats, and [because I fear what kind of Supreme Court we will have if the Democrats win].

There is clearly a choice in the November election - more right or more left.

I missed the quote from foxfrye, I agree with her only in opposite view.
0 Replies