Oh fer chrissakes ... (second iteration)

engineer

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 07:04 am
@H2O MAN,
He used a phrase he's used numerous times 10 days after Palin used a phrase she's used numerous times. What's the issue?
Woiyo9

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 07:08 am
@engineer,
None. Why is the media creating a fire storm?

Maybe is was the REACTION of the crowd at the OBAMA event after he made the comment.

I refuse to believe the yelling and clapping by the crowd after he made the lipstick reference to McCains position was yelling and clapping about the anything other than Palins.
sozobe

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 07:22 am
@Woiyo9,
You refuse to believe... right.

The message -- that McCain is suddenly trying to grab the "change" mantle, even though McCain's policies are just standard Washington sameness -- is central to Obama's campaign, and a big part of why people support him. It'd be an applause-getter. And people react well (from my own experience, in the audience at rallies) when Obama shows some fire.

But again, that fire was directed at McCain's policies. Just wasn't anything untoward there.
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 07:43 am
@sozobe,
McCain and Palin are offering "Real Change".

Obama and Biden are just offering "Change".
Cliff Hanger

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 08:12 am
@Woiyo9,
For the sake of your argument, let's say that's how the crowd interpreted it. So what?

Let's face it-- supporters on both sides can be vicious.
Woiyo9

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 08:43 am
@Cliff Hanger,
True enough.

However, I wonder if Obama knew of the impact of the comment, would he still have used it?

I understood exactly what he was referring to, so I just find the crowd reaction, media reaction, McCain reaction and the Obama re-reaction quite interesting (and somewhat childish).
sozobe

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 09:05 am
@Woiyo9,
Once the childish McCain and media reaction happen... what is Obama supposed to do?

Kerry proved that ignoring such things is dangerous.

I think Obama has hit the right tone -- bemused exasperation. (AKA "Oh fer chrissakes...")
Woiyo9

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 09:20 am
@sozobe,
Try and follow:

Palin tells a joke

Obama uses LIPSTICK in his discussion Re: McCain position

Crowd Laughs

Media reacts

McCain Reacts

Obama RE-Reacts

All I am suggesting is that if Obam used a different "punch line" nothing else would have followed.

This is not a big deal to me, but it seems you all are "protesting too much".
0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 09:35 am
@Woiyo9,
I see where you're coming from. I question McCain's approach in the same way, and because I don't support McCain I am really suspicious of his motives/what he says.

I tend to think Obama would not have used it had he known they would latch onto it. It's comical to me, watching the McCain campaign's outrage over something that has nothing to do with curing this country's problems.

And boy, do we got problems.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 09:53 am
@sozobe,
There is nothing childish about the reaction, there is only the childish action that is being reacted to.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 10:19 am
It was a stupid thing for Obama to say in the wake of Palin's headline grabbing joke. McCain could have shown some real class by stating the simple truth. Something like, "I don't believe Barack Obama implied any such thing... gaffs happen"... something to that effect. Instead; he released an Ad saying the opposite, with an outright lie about the context. An outright lie.

The press has done America a disservice to allow outright lies to go largely unchallenged.

In summary; Obama made an innocent, stupid, mistake. McCain abandoned his integrity to take advantage of it, and the American Press is still the American Press.
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 10:32 am
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:

The press has done America a disservice to allow outright lies to go largely unchallenged.

When will the press step up and challenge Obama's lies?

You can put lipstick on Obama, but he's still a pig.

0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 10:41 am
@OCCOM BILL,
(Indeed, that ignore feature kicks ass.)
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 10:46 am
@OCCOM BILL,
Growing numbers of liberals are ignoring the fact that they are betting on the wrong horse and that kicks ass!! Cool
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 11:25 am
in the last 24 hours i've seen clips of mccain using the exact same phrase on at least 3 occasions. a clip of cheney using the exact same phrase.

it's a common phrase; i've used it for years. i've used it in explaining problems associated with a post production scenario in place of the one that editors have used (which drew has also heard) "ya can't polish a turd".

what i want to know is this; "how do we beat the bitch ? "

you don't seem to hear any outrage from mccain & friends when this pointed at hillary, do we ? in fact the laff riot gets even better when an attendee says; " i thought she was talking about my ex-wife!". ah-har-har-har...

how about these;
http://www.cafepress.com/dirtyword/4047801

this is all just more karl rove bullshit.

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 11:30 am
@DontTreadOnMe,
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

what i want to know is this; "how do we beat the bitch ? "

Mrs. Bill Clinton is out of the race -the bitch was beaten.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 11:34 am
@H2O MAN,
No, I think we are saying you are trying to put lipstick on the pig by raising the issue of "lipstick" instead of talking about the real issues.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 11:36 am
@H2O MAN,
H2O Man is gilding the lilly, polishing the turd, and putting lipstick on the pig.

There is a joke in there about why you are putting lipstick on the pig H2O Man. But the joke itself is X rated.
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 11:37 am
@parados,

Obama is the polished turd that you are putting lipstick on and calling it a pig.

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2008 11:40 am
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:
Obama is the polished turd that you are putting lipstick on and calling it a pig.

and H2O man is all wet.
0 Replies