JOHN McCAIN AN ENERGY HYPOCRITE?

Woiyo9

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 06:29 am
@FreeDuck,
Fair enough.

Then you would have to agree that Gov. Palin has at least as much if not more hands on experience in Governing than Sen Obama.

Given that, why the Dems attack that position makes no sense.
rabel22

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 09:38 am
@Woiyo9,
If you are talking in terms of useing ones political power to get ones exbrother in law fired and trying to tax the oil companies so she can increase her power base in Alaska than yes she is qualified to be VP. She is a crooked politician who uses her religion to advance her career. Typical conserative.
H2O MAN

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 09:41 am
@rabel22,

Only a desperate democrat would be talking in those terms.

0 Replies

Woiyo9

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 06:06 am
@rabel22,
Why is it that lefties REFUSE to address a question directly?

rabel22

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 07:51 am
@Woiyo9,
I did. The fact you cant see it is more about your blind allegance to the conserative cause than my thoughts about the relative merits of the candidates.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 01:54 pm
@Woiyo9,
Two things here. I agree that Palin has leadership abilities as evidenced by her experience, but I dont believe she has as much applicable experience.

What I think you are referring to is not people attacking Palin as not being experienced enough. They are attacking McCain for backtracking on his own message while pointing out that she appears to have no skill or interest as pertains to national issues. Not saying that nobody is attacking her for this, but I think that it started out more like, hey, I thought you said experience was so important at this moment in history, etc... My issue with Palins kind of experience is that I dont think it scales to the national level. Alaska is not like any other US state and the types of lessons someone would learn while governing that state (and remember that she hasnt governed it for long) are probably not well applied on a national level. That is all just my opinion, of course.
sozobe

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 02:00 pm
@FreeDuck,
Just as one example -- Alaska LOVES high gas prices! High gas prices = more money in their coffers.
FreeDuck

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2008 08:23 pm
@sozobe,
Yep. I was thinking also along the lines of how easy it is to budget when you are running a surplus. I wonder how many other states are running surpluses? I wonder when the US will run a surplus again.
0 Replies

Woiyo9

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 07:02 am
@sozobe,
Really? Do you like paying 4.50 / gallon of gas?

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 07:59 am
@Woiyo9,
Did she say she was from Alaska?

Anyway, I think that if you believe in the free market you must learn to accept high gas prices. It is high gas prices that will drive innovation in alternative energy, force the necessary lifestyle changes for a sustainable society, and drive innovation in American automobiles. We in America don't do anything until our arms are twisted.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 08:39 am
@Woiyo9,
Do you have a problem with $4.50/gallon gas?

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2008/09/13/fueled_by_oil_taxes_alaska_spending_soared_under_palin/

Fueled by oil taxes, Alaska spending soared under Palin

Quote:
...And Alaska residents are getting their cut. Starting this week, every Alaskan who has lived in the state more than a year will receive $1,200 from the state, a total of about $756 million in rebates to offset high energy costs in the 49th state. That's on top of the perennial check each will receive from the state's oil revenue-endowed Permanent Fund, this year a record $2,069 per resident. The large Palin family is eligible to receive more than $19,000 from the combined payments.

I would probably have a favorable view of my governor too if he was sending me that kind of cash from taxing a national resource and that is paid in the end by residents of the other 49 states.
Woiyo9

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 10:28 am
@squinney,
Isn't that what a Governor is supposed to do? Especially since it is your peoples land? Your ignorance is amazing!
squinney

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 10:35 am
@Woiyo9,
MY peoples land?

I thought National Resource referred to the whole country. So far, I have recieved no check from Alaska.

Actually, I find it interesting in that it is opposite of what Republicans would normally promote... Taxing business to redistribute wealth to the less fortunate and all.
parados

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 10:36 am
@Woiyo9,
Perhaps you can explain how it relates to the lack of oil resources filling the coffers of the US government.

I think it doesn't. Palin has governed a state at a time of record surpluses. She has no experience dealing with the problems the US as a whole has.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 11:22 am
@squinney,
I'm pretty sure the rebate checks are part of a larger oil deal the US Gov't made with Alaska before Palin was Gov.

parados

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 11:45 am
@McGentrix,
Palin has promoted it as one of her accomplishments. She took on big oil.

Are you saying she is not being truthful about that now too?
McGentrix

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 12:04 pm
@parados,
I am saying you have no idea what is going on.
0 Replies

Woiyo9

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 01:47 pm
@squinney,
Who is a Republican?

You really have no idea about the history of Alaska and it's Natives and the resources they own (or owned).
rabel22

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 01:55 pm
@Woiyo9,
Gee. I thought that alaska was paid for with the United States tax money and should belong to all the citizens who paid for it. Perhaps your the one who should study history.
Woiyo9

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 01:57 pm
@rabel22,
Yea, that's the entire history of Alaska. Thanks for the in depth analysis.