Tom Brady and the Patriots

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 13 Mar, 2013 03:17 pm
Quote:
Wes Welker agrees with Broncos

The Denver Broncos have made a major splash in free agency, agreeing to terms with
wide receiver Wes Welker on a two-year contract.

Welker's deal is worth $12 million, ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter reports.

Broncos executive vice president of football operations John Elway tweeted the club's
agreement with the former New England Patriot.

"Excited to have Wes join the Broncos. His production & toughness will be a great asset!"
Elway wrote.

The Patriots had been negotiating with Welker leading up to free agency but the sides
could not find common ground on a deal. The 31-year-old Welker played under the franchise
tag and a $9.5 million salary for the 2012 season and finished with a team-high 118 catches
and 1,354 yards to go with six touchdowns.

The team elected not to tag him this offseason. If they had, Welker would have received
an escalated salary of $11.4 million for the 2013 season.
(espn)

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/5/58100/2389983-luke_noooooo.jpg
Miller

Reply Wed 13 Mar, 2013 06:10 pm
There were plenty of times that WES didn't look so good.
Ragman

Reply Wed 13 Mar, 2013 06:35 pm
@Region Philbis,
As a Pats fan I'm a bit sad to see him go. He's a gamah and there are not that many gamahs who can handle the highly pressurized limelight of playoffs and SB games. That being said, he is 31-32 yrs, wanted more than $10m or $11m /yr. To replace him, they just found a decent younger (27-yr-old) slightly taller, slot receiver in Danny Amendola (formerly with Rams). Frankly, as much as I love Wes, I see this as not an awful move.

However, IMHO the chemistry (in the locker room) has been altered and damaged. He was a tough hard-nosed player. Wes and Brady were best buds and Wes, despite his infamous key dropped pass, is still one of my all time faves. More importantly, his Pats teammates loved him too.

"On 6 October 2012, Amendola suffered a dislocated clavicle, and in a rare case, instead of popping out, the clavicle popped in and came millimeters from puncturing his trachea and aorta, which could have killed him. Rams' medical staff called around the league for information but no teams had ever had players suffering a similar injury. Amendola was anesthetized before popping the clavicle back into place. Due to the unusual nature of the injury the Rams were not certain when Amendola would return, but he was able to recover after just three weeks and recorded 11 catches for 102 yards in a hard fought tie with the San Francisco 49ers."

New England Patriots

"On March 13, 2013, just hours after Patriots slot receiver Wes Welker signed with the Denver Broncos, the Patriots announced the signing of Amendola. Amendola received a five-year contract for $31 million, with $10 million guaranteed. The Patriots' final offer to Welker had been two years for $10 million."

0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 13 Mar, 2013 07:08 pm
@Miller,
Brady-to-Welker combo had a 73% completion rate! Yeah...pretty awful, huh?
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 14 Mar, 2013 04:37 am
@Ragman,

i don't like the fact that kraft is running the team as if it was in a small market...
Ticomaya

Reply Thu 14 Mar, 2013 09:06 am
@Region Philbis,
At first I thought the Pats were basically getting the same guy, just a younger version. Amendola has always seemed to be a Welker clone.

Except Welker doesn't seem to be injured every other game ...
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 14 Mar, 2013 09:42 am
Dang, Welker with Manning throwing to him? With D. Thomas as the deep threat?

The Broncos are going to be damn good in the passing game next year...

Cycloptichorn
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 14 Mar, 2013 09:57 am

brady & welker developed amazing chemistry, but it took a while.

manning-to-welker looks good on paper, but he needs time to get acclimated with a new QB and a new team.

amendola may eventually fit that slot receiver role, but can he get right up after taking multiple devastating hits every game?

i don't think anyone else in the league gets up after this hit:

0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 14 Mar, 2013 09:58 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Is there any doubt about a Broncs stellar passing game after seeing what Peyton was able to do in reg and playoffs with this past season?

I wonder if both the Pats and Broncs end up facing one another in the Playoffs what that game would be like? I won't be premature and predicting the possibility but I hope that matchup happens. Hollywood wouldn't even cook up such a plot. too far-fetched. Another Brady and Peyton matchup
gungasnake

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2013 05:08 am
@Ragman,
Baltimore is a much better team than either of them.
Ragman

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2013 05:25 am
@gungasnake,
Baltimore WAS a better team. That was yesterday and yesterday's gone.

And, after a stellar playoff and SB performance, the Ravens just tossed away to Boldin to the 49-ers for a 6th-round pick. Not to mention they overpaid Flacco and offered Boldin a paycut. Oh did I mention Ray Lewis retired and Ed Reed is gone to free agency?
Ticomaya

Reply Sun 17 Mar, 2013 09:46 pm
@Ragman,
Do you think Ray Lewis retiring really makes Baltimore worse off?
Ragman

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2013 03:31 am
@Ticomaya,
Perhaps not. However, there's something to be said for the combined effects of the loss of his and Reed's leadership. So add to that in the loss of Boldin and you got Ravens getting ruffled and losing more than just their feathers.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2013 02:21 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

i don't like the fact that kraft is running the team as if it was in a small market...

I suppose you know that Tom Brady is building his new Boston home in the Brookline area adjacent to Kraft's home. When Tom took that hit on his salary, I thought to myself, that just perhaps Tom was being compensated for his salary reduction by gaining a piece of very valuable real estate, which just happened to be adjacent to the Kraft residence in Brookline. Did Kraft play a role in getting Tom a really good price on that Brookline land?
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 18 Mar, 2013 04:39 pm
@Miller,

wouldn't shock me.
he's the lone untouchable...
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 10 Jun, 2013 05:30 pm

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/942898_10151512651892998_622214455_n.jpg
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Mon 10 Jun, 2013 06:07 pm
Tebow just signed with the Pats...Only since they are not a dysfunctional franchise. they will maximize Tobow's potential...I get more and more disgusted with the Jets as I get older and older...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 10 Jun, 2013 06:34 pm
@Region Philbis,
Isn't he the one with the ugly ass home in Bel Air? Maybe I'm misforgetting. (Not Tebow, Brady.)
George

Reply Mon 10 Jun, 2013 07:59 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
Isn't he the one with the ugly ass home in Bel Air? Maybe I'm misforgetting. (Not Tebow, Brady.)

If this is the one you mean, then yup.

http://professionalathletehomes.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/article-0-1160f78c000005dc-551_634x406.jpg
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Mon 10 Jun, 2013 08:04 pm
@George,
Mr. Green Mr. Green

Craziness...how much money athletes actually make...
0 Replies