Update re Berke Breathed's "Bloom County" and Opus returning

ossobuco

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 10:24 pm
it's going around, it's going around...

Opus, I can't believe it, I think I actually cried the day it stopped, at least a little bit. I know I saved the last strip, though I may have tossed it since. But... maybe not.

I think it wasn't a strip, but a picture of Opus going away, you see his lil' back...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 10:29 pm
Is this in fact the underlying connection between A2kers of diverse ages and places...opus love..
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 10:39 pm
Does anybody else here remember a big sunday Bloom County strip with the words "hairy fishnuts?" in it?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 10:44 pm
Thud!!!!

I found it after all these years. And on the favorites page (second to last)

http://www.berkeleybreathed.com/favorite_strips.html
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 10:44 pm
Well, having done JR. High and High School, as well as my first undergraduate degree in the period 1979-1989, Bloom county was a major part of my pop culture world. In fact, the most read feature of the Branding Iron, the U of Wyoming student paper during this period, must have been Bloom County, followed by Calvin and Hobbes (hint...hint...). I can't read the "In defence of freedom" thread, by our resident gun lover, without thinking of one of the first BC strips, where a wierd scrawney checkered aht with ear flaps wearing chap brings a letter to Milo Bloom at the Sentinel and says:"I brung you a letter for the editor. It says when guns are outlawed...only outlaw gins will...right to arm and bear...second constitution...of the people...criminal class... my dead body..."
And Milo looks at the letter and comments, "verbatim!"
Another highly relavent strip from the first year is whne Milo and his uncle went hunting for Liberals (an endangered species.). The bait was a copy of the Village Voice.
And who can forget Steve Dallas? My fraternity brothers and I used to agonize over whether or not we were turning in to him.
And most memorably, remember the games of Star Trek played with the wheelchair? Ahh..the memories!
Even Joan Jett(As Tess Turbo) made an appearance, remember? Smile
For my generation (the one that came of age under ronnie ray-gun) Bloom county was our voice.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 10:46 pm
littlek wrote:
Does anybody else here remember a big sunday Bloom County strip with the words "hairy fishnuts?" in it?

Yes! Very Happy Remember the Falkland War strips, where the sign kept being chaged from Falklands to Malvinas and then back again?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 10:56 pm
Vaguely - check out that link I posted. Some great strips. The last one on the last page..... the guys were sitting on the couch in the field being sexist and a chick walks up and asks them to reflect on the one thing at the core of their existences (or something to that effect) and as she walks away they look down their tightie-whities.

Man, I dunno the last time I had a good guffaw over the comics.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 11:01 pm
OK, not "core of existence", but "meaningful things"
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 11:09 pm
Watch it hobitbob, soz - had it at the beginning of the year. It was frieghtening.
0 Replies

deniZen

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 12:19 am
Does anyone else here have the whole collection of Bloom County comic books? You can tell I'm a fan, can't you?
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 08:49 am
This was my favorite strip. It was the closest anyone had come to Pogo since Walt Kelly died.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 10:39 am
Cobalt knows Berke Breathed...
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 03:32 pm
Berke Breathed e-mailed support thanks to A2Kers
On Thursday, September 18, 2003, at 09:16 AM, BumbleBeeBoogie e-mailed Berke Breathed: "You may be interested in the reaction of the members of the Able2Know forum when I posted the news of the return of Bloom County. I've never seen such happiness about the return of a comic strip."

Reply just received from Berke Breathed:

"Thanks for the note and plug. Please remind everyone to lobby their local comics page editor to carry Opus...

Best,
bb"
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 03:37 pm
Yay!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 03:43 pm
BBB to bb. Cool! Very Happy
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 04:32 pm
I have emailed both the RMN and the Denver Post, as well as the Boulder Daily Camera and the CU Daily. Have my fingers, toes and everything else opposable crossed. Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 10:22 pm
Figured out midday that it was not smart to say Cobalt knows BB. No brains, my lady, sorry.

However, since he has responded, oh, joy (I don't say that sarcastically, but with, actual joy). I will make some email moves to push the column.

Surely the Chronicle wil nab it...

Fillibrating personally, so very glad to have Berke back.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 11:28 pm
I actually expected to see a new BC strip in today's Globe..... wasn't there.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 08:51 am
Update on the return of Bloom County
Update on the return of Bloom County November 23:

http://www.berkeleybreathed.com/opus_returns.html

The August 15, 2001 Onion interview with Berkeley Breathed:

http://avclub.theonion.com/avclub3728/avfeature_3728.html
0 Replies