years without changing policies. "The idea that this is manageable or that
we are going to grow our way out of the problem is just flat false," Walker
said.

http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=1198353&l=6213
0 Replies

John Webb

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 06:25 am
Republicans have curious values!

If a Democrat President fools around with an intern, that is grounds for impeachment.

If an entire Republican Administration sends hundreds of American forces to their injury and deaths on the basis of a never-ending series of LIES and costs taxpayers tens of billions of dollars maintaining the FRAUD, it is not!

P.S. Just watched the Vice President on television. Does that guy stop lying when he goes to bed .... or does he talk in his sleep? Rolling Eyes Could that be why Bush made him President of Vice? Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 09:52 am
Don't have time to scan it in and do a proper job -- but here's a mini-edition of the latest New Yorker cover, as good a portrait of Bush and his modus operandi as any I've seen!

http://pic7.picturetrail.com/VOL203/985067/1830704/35587235.jpg
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 05:14 pm
More lunacy from the "prez." An article about this was in the Sunday Post today, but didn't make it into their online edition. Here is another report on the same thing:Kill em stuffem sell em
Quote:
US set to OK trade in rare species

October 13, 2003

The Bush Administration is proposing far-reaching changes to conservation policies that would allow hunters, circuses and the pet industry to kill, capture and import animals on the brink of extinction in other countries.

Giving Americans access to endangered animals, officials said, would feed the gigantic US demand for live animals, skins, parts and trophies, and generate profits that would let poor nations pay for conservation of the remaining animals and their habitats.

This and other proposals that pursue conservation through trade would, for example, allow American trophy hunters to kill the endangered straight-horned markhor in Pakistan; license the pet industry to import the blue fronted Amazon parrot from Argentina; permit the capture of endangered Asian elephants for US circuses and zoos; and partially resume the trade in African ivory. No US endangered species would be affected.

Conservation groups counter that killing or capturing even a few animals is hardly the best way to protect endangered species, and say the policies cater to individuals and businesses that profit from animal exploitation.

"It's a very dangerous precedent to decide that wildlife exploitation is in the best interest of wildlife," said Adam Roberts, a senior research associate at the non-profit Animal Welfare Institute, an advocacy group for endangered species.

The latest proposal involves an interpretation of the Endangered Species Act that deviates radically from the course followed by Republican and Democratic administrations since president Richard Nixon signed the act in 1973. The law established broad protection for endangered species, most of them not native to America, and in effect prohibited trade in them.

Kenneth Stansell, assistant director for international affairs at the US Fish and Wildlife Service, said there was a growing realisation that the Endangered Species Act gave poor countries no incentive to protect dying species. Allowing American hunters, circuses and the pet industry to pay countries to take fixed numbers of animals from the wild would fund conservation programs for remaining animals, he said.

Such trade was already open to hunters, pet importers and zoos in other Western countries, US officials said. The idea was supported by poor countries that were home to the endangered species and would benefit from the revenue, they said.

Animal welfare advocates question the logic of the new approach, saying that countries and groups that stand to profit will be in charge of determining how many animals can be killed or captured. They warn that opening the door to legal trade will allow poaching to flourish.

The Washington Post

Somehow this reminds me of the FCC's compaign to end media competition and bring about consolidation. Does anyone else here wake up each morning wondering if we've fallen down a rabbitt hole?
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 05:19 pm
And again, from CNN.COM:
more insanity

Quote:
U.S. plans legal endangered species trade
Fish and Wildlife says move would promote conservation

Saturday, October 11, 2003 Posted: 4:44 PM EDT (2044 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is proposing to change its policy to permit the importation of endangered species, their parts and products from countries that promote wildlife conservation programs.

Such a program could give incentives to countries to create stronger wildlife and habitat programs, the agency said in its draft rule, which is open for public comment until October 17. But some conservationists see the policy as a bad precedent and predicted it will face strong opposition.

Congress passed the Endangered Species Act in 1973 to protect animals facing extinction in the wild.

The act currently prohibits the capture, import, sale and killing of endangered species without a permit from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Those who request permits must demonstrate that their proposed activity would enhance the survival of the species in the wild and that the animals won't be used primarily for commercial purposes.

The Endangered Species Act has largely kept zoos and circuses from buying endangered species to use in shows or for the purpose of caging them. It also protects endangered species from trophy hunters.

Under the proposed change, money spent by U.S. zoos and circuses to import the endangered animals could be used support conservation projects abroad, the agency said.

Hunters, zoos, circuses and traders in wild animal products could benefit from the policy, the service said in a posting on its Web site.

Species involved in the service's "proposed enhancement-of-survival policy" include the Asian elephant in India, southeast Asia and China; the Morelet's crocodile in Mexico; the Asian bonytongue fish in Indonesia, Thailand and Malaysia; the wood bison in Canada; and the markhor, a member of the goat family, in Pakistan.

Citing worsening breeding problems among captive Asian elephants in the United States, the agency said there is increased demand among zoos and circuses for additional stock from Asia. Meanwhile, there is a "surplus" of elephants in many countries, where officials face a crisis over how to handle the problem.

Adam Roberts, a senior research associate at the nonprofit Animal Welfare Institute, an advocacy group for endangered species, called the proposed policy "a horribly dangerous precedent, a wrong-headed conservation policy propelled by the circus and zoo, trophy-hunting lobby in the United States and others who want to profit by the commercialization of live animals or dead ones."

"Eco-tourism" activities -- such as safaris and whale-watching trips -- generate more income than would trophy-hunting and whale killing, he said.

What in the world is wrong with them? Conserve a species by killing it off? Promote freedom by occupying a nation? Serve as a beacon for liberty by repealing civil liberties?Proclaim thermselves as Christians by insisting on more death penalties? It just makes no sense!
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Sun 12 Oct, 2003 07:31 pm
hobitbob wrote:
What in the world is wrong with them? Conserve a species by killing it off? Promote freedom by occupying a nation? Serve as a beacon for liberty by repealing civil liberties?Proclaim thermselves as Christians by insisting on more death penalties? It just makes no sense!

I feel the same way HB. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 11:15 am
BUSH TRIES TO TAKE FUNDS FROM MILITARY SCHOOL KIDS TO PAY FOR IRAQ-AFGHAN POLICIES

President Bush attempted to slash money from the program that pays to educate the children of military men and women even while saying, "Our
men and women in uniform give America their best and we owe them our support."

http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=1198353&l=6226
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 08:39 am
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 09:09 am
The Federal Government is experiencing a sharp increase in tax revenues. That's right, an increase! It's no small increase in federal tax revenues either. Try this figure ---- $85 Billion. The current estimate of tax revenues to the federal government is $85,000,000,000 higher right now than it was one month ago. The left and the Democrats have been warning that the Bush tax cuts would lead to lower tax revenues, the fiscal conservatives have been saying just the opposite. Well ... guess who wins this one. Hint: It's not the left.

There are predictions that the economy might grow by as much as 6% during the last quarter. Bush gets his tax cuts, tax revenues are actually going up, the economy is improving, and these Democratic mental midgets who want to be president are all talking about how they're going to raise taxes. The hungry-for-attention Joe Lieberman even wants to kick taxes up an extra 5% over what they were after Clinton's tax hike!

Things appear to be progressing, hopefully it's a continuing trend, now if he would do some smart spending cuts.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2003 07:44 am
Brand X wrote:
The Federal Government is experiencing a sharp increase in tax revenues. That's right, an increase! It's no small increase in federal tax revenues either. Try this figure ---- $85 Billion. The current estimate of tax revenues to the federal government is $85,000,000,000 higher right now than it was one month ago.

Where does this "estimate" come from, X? Where is your citation for this? More importantly, where do you think someone discovered $85 billion that wasn't there last month?

(I think they pulled it out of their ass to make the administration look good, but hey, that's just MO.)

We hold ourselves to a slightly more rigorous standard in this forum, and you've been here long enough to know it. For someone whose first posts here included a quote from rushlimbaugh.com, I have to wonder:

Who's telling you what to think these days, now that Rusty's in rehab? :wink:
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2003 12:16 pm
Deficit. Tax revenues. http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/11/politics/11DEFI.html
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2003 09:21 pm
A "GOOD NEWS" CAMPAIGN TRIES TO COVER UP LOW MORALE OF U.S. TROOPS IN IRAQ

The Bush administration's recently launched public relations campaign to
promote success in Iraq is being undermined by reports of low
morale among U. S. troops in Iraq.

Letters praising the Bush Administration's post-war operations are
appearing in local and regional newspapers, but at least eleven letters,
ostensibly written by troops from 2nd Battalion of the 503rd Infantry
Regiment, were essentially identical. President Bush himself is
actively trying to counter news of unhappiness among the troops left
behind in Iraq, saying conditions are "a lot better than you probably
think. Just ask people who've been there."

Read the full article:
http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=1198353&l=6574
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 12:18 pm
PDiddie wrote:
Brand X wrote:
The Federal Government is experiencing a sharp increase in tax revenues. That's right, an increase! It's no small increase in federal tax revenues either. Try this figure ---- $85 Billion. The current estimate of tax revenues to the federal government is $85,000,000,000 higher right now than it was one month ago.

Where does this "estimate" come from, X? Where is your citation for this? More importantly, where do you think someone discovered $85 billion that wasn't there last month?

(I think they pulled it out of their ass to make the administration look good, but hey, that's just MO.)

We hold ourselves to a slightly more rigorous standard in this forum, and you've been here long enough to know it. For someone whose first posts here included a quote from rushlimbaugh.com, I have to wonder:

Who's telling you what to think these days, now that Rusty's in rehab? :wink:

You mean "we" hold ourselves to slightly more rigorous standards unless it comes to belittling someone because you don't like positive news about the economy or positive happenings on the current administrations watch. I have been around long enough to learn that, Mr. Elitist.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 12:24 pm
Well, that's a not-so-clever way of beating around the Bush. I would like to know the source of the information on tax revenues also. Estimate of tax revenues for what period of time?
0 Replies

John Webb

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 12:34 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
Well, that's a not-so-clever way of beating around the Bush. I would like to know the source of the information on tax revenues also. Estimate of tax revenues for what period of time?

To ease your concerns, rest assured that these figures have been verified for the Administration by America's finest financial experts (former employees of WorldCom and Enron)! Cool
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 07:58 pm
Brand X wrote:
...because you don't like positive news about the economy...

A simply moronic statement.

Stop telling other people what they are thinking. That's Limbaughvian, the very initiative sprung from a mind addled by Oxycontin.

We were told that we were threatened by weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, but they have not been found.

We were told that the throngs of Iraqis would welcome our troops with flowers, but no throngs or flowers appeared.

We were led to believe that Saddam Hussein was connected to the attack on the Twin Towers and the Pentagon, but no evidence has ever been produced.

We were told that Saddam Hussein tried to buy "yellow cake" from Africa for production of nuclear weapons, but the story has turned into empty air.

We were frightened with visions of mushroom clouds, but they turned out to be only vapors of the mind.

We were told that major combat was over but 101 [as of October 17] Americans have died in combat since that proclamation from the deck of an aircraft carrier by our very own Emperor in his new clothes.

How many more tales must you endure before you admit you have been duped?

Go ahead. Admit it.

It's liberating.

And no one will hold it against you.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 08:41 pm
Moronic? Your post is as intellectually dishonest as Rush Limbaugh, you two aren't so different, just on different sides.

If you had just asked for a link to my previous post instead of running me down, you would have gotten a desired result. Is this how you expect to get respectful dialog from anyone? I guess so.

I could go to any number of 'more friendly' forums sans the abuse, but I like to have my views challenged, but would prefer that to be sans the abuse.

We simply have a different approach to how we deal with the reams of information that we sift through about the Iraq issue. There are many things that I disagree with, but many things I choose for now to to keep an open mind on. Because of my attitude about this I am thwarted and deemed in denial or brainwashed, which I assure you isn't the case.

Many on this forum have made their final judgement already and closed thier minds to all aspects of change. Much of it has to do with hate and that will breed an attitude of disregard.

You indicate that I should concede to your determined conclusion of a situation that is still in progress, I just can't eventhough it is the easy way to go.

I'm sure we will agree to disagree on many more post, let's try to do it in a cordial way.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 08:43 pm
Watch your step there, you elitist diddie. We can only stand so many facts.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 08:56 pm
Well, that was a bit more pleasant toward the end than it was in the beginning, anyway...

Hey, I've learned a lot from conservatives.

One thing I've learned, repeatedly and recently, is that we are all human and we all are sinners.

We all fall short on occasion.

But if you hold the office of the President of the United States, one thing you can never, ever do is lie and think you will get away with it.

All of these fine conservative fellows--Limbaugh, Bill Bennett, and going back a short ways, Newt Gingrich, Bob Livingston, and Henry Hyde--they may have "lived" a lie, but that's not the same thing as "telling" a lie.

It's high time that we fuzzy-headed liberals learned the difference.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 09:02 pm
PDiddie wrote:
That's Limbaughvian, the very initiative sprung from a mind addled by Oxycontin.

I prefer "Limboid" or "Limbaughtine" as the adjective.
0 Replies