A real racist - Oprah

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 01:33 am
@cjhsa,
cjhsa wrote:

She has the number one talkshow in the country, and legions of (mostly not very bright female) followers. Promoting Obama as the next coming while denying Palin, much less McCain, equal time, seems like at least an attempt at biased journalism. Equal time is equal time.

Rush Limbaugh
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 01:39 am
I'm sure Ellen would love to have the opportunity to interview Palin on her show and Ellen's ratings have been higher than Oprah's this season. If it is ratings you're after, why aren't you demanding that Palin be given an appearance on Ellen since Obama, Clinton and McCain have all been on that show?

As far as equal time goes, none of the candidates have been on Oprah's show. Obama was on before he ever announced his candidacy. Bill Clinton was never on the Oprah show until he left office and was there to promote his book not his wife's candidacy. Hillary has never been on her show while a candidate.
0 Replies

Woiyo9

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 06:47 am
@littlek,
Why does she have a TV show similiar to O'Reilly? She invites politicians on and interviews them, jst like O'Reilly.

Maybe O'reilly is not news either.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 10:59 am
@littlek,
Journalism is d-e-a-d. It is simply a propaganda machine for the leftists in America.

Fortunately, the MSM is dying. They have forgotten what sells: the truth.

The Internet is making it easier to get all kinds of viewpoints and perspectives and allowing people to make their own decisions, less-colored by the biased alphabets.

See: NYT stock price (ka-boom).

mysteryman

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 11:02 am
@Butrflynet,
So are you saying that Rush is not a journalist, and therefore his opinions are just that, and should not be taken as journalism?

Or, are you saying that Rush IS equal time, offsetting the more liberal members of the media?
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 11:06 am
@mysteryman,
opinionators generally don't claim to be journalists, they want to be free from the rules that traditionally journalists have had to follow. Oprah trades in opinions like a commentator (rush) and in visibility like any other corporate owner would.
mysteryman

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 11:09 am
@hawkeye10,
I agree, but many on here have called him a journalist, just like they have called people like Sean Hannity journalists.
I have never claimed that either of them are journalists in any way, nor will I give Oprah the benefit of calling her a journalist either.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 11:12 am
@cjhsa,
Regardless of your views of journalism, Oprah is still not obliged to give politicians equal time.
Foxfyre

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 11:23 am
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

Regardless of your views of journalism, Oprah is still not obliged to give politicians equal time.

I agree 100%. She is absolutely not obligated to give time to politicians at all or anybody else at all. It is her show and she can do whatever suits her fancy.

I also think not having Sarah Palin in is high on the list of dumbest business decisions though.
parados

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 12:38 pm
@Foxfyre,
Every Sunday talk show has asked Palin to be on this weekend. She refused to accept their offers.

Attacking Oprah for not inviting her is nothing more than a veiled attack on the candidate Oprah announced she was supporting.
JTT

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 12:48 pm
@parados,
Palin, ready to be vice-p and even the president but not ready to discuss issues with the press.

What is wrong, terribly wrong with this picture?

Wait a second, that's been exactly the same scenario with Bush & Cheney.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2008 09:53 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

So are you saying that Rush is not a journalist, and therefore his opinions are just that, and should not be taken as journalism?

Or, are you saying that Rush IS equal time, offsetting the more liberal members of the media?

I'm saying both things. Rush is not a journalist and he has never ever pretended to endeavor to adhere to equal time rules on his entertainment talk show.
cjhsa

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 04:27 am
@Butrflynet,
That said and understood... I betcha Rush would LOVE to have Obama on his show.

Oprah's bias is showing like Katie Smurfic covering the convention. Did anyone look at the comments left on CBS's website over her horrible "journalism" at the RNC? Tell me how Smurfic differs from Oprah. Then prove it.
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 09:53 am
@cjhsa,
No, cjhsa, your reply demonstrates that you still don't understand.
Oprah is not a journalist, her show is not about journalism.

Your opinion of Katie's journalism has nothing to do with whether or not Oprah must have Palin on her talk show.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 10:09 am
@littlek,
littlek wrote:

cj, you're particularly confusing tonight.

Fair and balanced reporting is for journalists and news casters....

Speaking of equal airtime for both sides, how about the recent case in which the "New York Times" printed an op ed piece by Obama, and then rejected McCain's response, on the grounds that McCain didn't comply with their thoughts on what the content ought to be? Go ahead and spin it so that the Times decision was really impartial, but we'll all know the truth.
littlek

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 10:12 am
@Brandon9000,
Spin what? I understand that journalistic papers and other media are supposed to give equal time to all candidates. I haven't been keeping track of that - not my job. My point was only, and will continue to be, that Oprah is not a journalist and therefor not under obligation to be balanced.

Why is that point so hard to grasp?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 10:12 am
@Brandon9000,
Sounds like a clear double standard. Can you link to the story so we can form our own judgments?
FreeDuck

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 10:14 am
@cjhsa,
I cannot understand why you are spinning your wheels about this. 1 - Palin is not giving interviews. 2- If Oprah did interview her, she would be the only candidate that she interviewed, making for very unequal time. 3- Can you imagine how the questions asked would be picked apart for bias given that Oprah has already endorsed a candidate?
Brandon9000

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 10:18 am
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck wrote:

Sounds like a clear double standard. Can you link to the story so we can form our own judgments?

They wanted him to write it their way, a problem they didn't have with the Obama piece, to which it was a reply.

http://www.reuters.com/article/politicsNews/idUSN2136345520080721
FreeDuck

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 10:26 am
@Brandon9000,
They wanted him to define "victory". They probably should have just published it anyway.