Is the Vietnam `wall' inviting a terrorist hit?

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 12:42 am
Washington Whispers 09/22/03
By Paul Bedard - US News & World Report
Is the Vietnam `wall' inviting a terrorist hit?

Vietnam War veterans are rallying to a new cause: making "the wall" as protected from terrorist attacks and car bombs as the Lincoln Memorial and the Washington Monument. While those landmarks have been ringed with barricades and chain-link fences and police cars since 9/11, the wall has a wide, uninterrupted walkway leading to it from the street. And it's often unguarded by a ranger or cop.

"Anyone," frets Jan Scruggs, president of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund, "could drive a car right into the wall." Scruggs is doing more than just complaining. He has hired Vance International to size up the security situation at the wall and build a case for more protection. He has also asked Vietnam vet Tom Ridge, head of homeland security, to help. The U.S. Park Service welcomes the survey but notes that there hasn't been a threat against the wall as there have against the Lincoln and Washington memorials. Still, it has set aside enough black granite to replace the wall's panels. For the record: Security is no better at the Korean War Veterans Memorial, across the Mall.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 594 • Replies: 3
No top replies

ginko intolerant

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 01:25 am
Hello Bumble Bee. See my aviator and shiver!m :wink:

I'll bet that Bumblebeeboggie isn't meant to indicate you are a bee, but that you are showing the way. Ginko intolerant only means that I can't remember squat and I really don't have much hope of recovery.

I have a brother who counsels a lot of Vietnam vets. He's been to The Wall even though he lives far away. The Wall itself isn't a good reflection of the survivors. Those who served in Vietnam and came away with ingrained problems would not be devastated by such an attack. They have more of a problem with the inherent injustices of society. The Wall to them is less meaningful than people realize. They have friends names chiseled there, but our everyday callousness to humanity is a bigger wall to them than a monument. Sad

Of course, that's not a bright note to say hello by. You, or a reader, may have family chiseled on that wall. A terrorist attack on the wall would be hardest on those people. Still, in perspective, I'm not sure the wall deserves the resources necessary to protect it from an attack that would be, in my mind, misdirected. Those persons still suffering from the conflict of service and social callousness however, deserve more from each of us.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 04:24 am
Any car bomb that goes off near the wall is a car bomb that doesn't go off in a more crowded venue... like a shopping mall or sprts stadium.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 09:48 am
Ginko Intolerant
Ginko, welcome to Able2Know. You will find lots of folks here who will share your views---and maybe some that won't. Hope you visit often and post a lot.

I posted this article to demonstrate that people protectively rally around the things that are important to them. For some people its a monument; for others its a remedy. ymbolism vis action.

---BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies