Consigliore?

fansy

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 03:45 am
This is a battle between the Bushes of Kennebunkport and the Bushes of Crawford, and who prevails will determine which direction Bush 43 goes for the rest of his term. The Connecticut crowd is headed by Bush 41 with Brent Scowcroft, the former national security adviser, speaking for the father, James Baker the {consigliore} , and chief-of-staff Andy Card their mole.

What is this "consigliore", is it likely that it is a misspelling?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 5,247 • Replies: 2
No top replies

jespah

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 04:27 am
@fansy,
It's an Italian word. I think it means counselor but I'm sure someone will come along and clarify.
Thomas

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2008 06:27 am
@jespah,
First, a little correction: The correct spelling is "consigliere", not "consigliore"

As Jespah says, it is an Italian word, and it does mean "counsellor" in Italian. Additionally, when used in English, consigliere has the specific connotation of "counsellor to a Mafia boss". Are you familiar with the world of American movies and TV? Tom Hagen in The Godfather and Silvio Dante in The Sopranos are both consiglieri.

By calling Baker a consigliere rather than an adviser, the author in fansy's example is hinting that the Bush family is something like a Mafia clan.
0 Replies