My new favorite piece

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 05:36 pm
a 1910 singer.

This is a beautiful piece.
the construction is amazing. The machine solid. The wood is cut to show the grain.
The iron legs are amazing with their detail.

Geeze.. how come things are not made like this anymore?
Why do we not place value on beauty, quality, and craftsmanship? Everything is made of plastic now.. dull..boring.. angular..

Gosh, what I would give to have seen this brand new.

It still works even!

But I want to maybe take it in some where ( or have someone come to me. This thing is HEAVY) and have it cleaned...or.. tuned up?
Is it worth doing that?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3103/2819655998_0a1d3aa023_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3277/2819657078_aae2012e24_b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3292/2818879405_626686f5d4_b.jpg

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 05:40 pm
@shewolfnm,
Believe it or not, shewolf, but I have a machine similar to that, except of higher quality and workmanship. I will post an image if I am not too drunk to operate my digital camera.
shewolfnm

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 05:41 pm
@gustavratzenhofer,
Yay.
Drunk men and cameras excite me.
shewolfnm

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 05:42 pm
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3205/2819654744_e72c23d468_b.jpg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 07:38 pm
@shewolfnm,
An old Singer, in good repair, is a perfectly useful sewing machine. It takes a lot to kill one of those.

They're bloody heavy, a pain to move around, but if you do a reasonable amount of plain stitching (and you have a place to keep it) it's worth the repair. Not a lot - as they're fairly easy to find (at least around here - most farm auctions seem to have 2 or 3 of them) - so not exactly something to invest in - but they're a good basic machine.

It looks like quarter cut oak in the pic I'm looking at right now - very much of the period.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 09:46 pm
@shewolfnm,
shewolfnm wrote:

Yay.
Drunk men and cameras excite me.

Does that mean you're going to show your boobs again?
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 11:21 pm
@gustavratzenhofer,
Do you make your own clothes Gus. I can just see you pumping the treadle.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 11:29 pm
@shewolfnm,
I learned to sew on a Singer treadle, and I love them dearly.

I have a minature salesman sample which is really unique. I should have it appraised.

I have taken machines off the metal base and made glass top tables, they are just wonderful. Problem in Hawaii is termites and rust. Texas is much dryer. I would take it and have it looked at.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 11:31 pm
@shewolfnm,
I learned to sew on a Singer treadle, and I love them dearly.

I have a minature salesman sample which is really unique. I should have it appraised.

I have taken machines off the metal base and made glass top tables, they are just wonderful. Problem in Hawaii is termites and rust. Texas is much dryer. I would take it and have it looked at. Yes it is worth it. Sounds like you have a good machine.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 05:32 am
I do have every intention of learning to use this.
I have wanted to sew for a while. Currently, I hand stitch which has given me more wrist problems then I care to admit.
Im not looking for detail when I make things.. just simple patterns.

I am trying to find a user manual of some kind online but the information I keep running into is less then what I need.

I think this thing is about 80 lbs if not more. So moving it downstairs to have it repaired is a bit of a spooky idea. But, I will do it.
I would love if someone could come to ME to do that... but that could be costly.

I do have a beautiful place to store it.
Right in my living room, under the large window next to my front door. That area is where I store my plants, and my large pine tree trunk.
I can move the tree trunk ito my freshly painted bed room and use it as a side table Smile Then get a piece of plastic to cover the sewing machine top with and place my plants on top of that while not in use.
I may actually store it with the machine showing. I cant begin to say how much in -love- with this thing I am. And having the machine displayed would make me happy because it is so beautiful.

The wood needs to be refinished though.
It has been stored in a dry hot Texas garage for years now and the sides of it are begining to bubble.

Should I oil the wood? Or just let someone else do that stuff?

What about the dark iron legs? I went to wash them with a cloth, using nothing but water, and some of the finish is flaking off.
Probably something else I need to leave to a professional.
Bohne

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 05:36 am
@shewolfnm,
Beautiful
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 07:52 am
@gustavratzenhofer,
I'm waiting for the pic of Gustav humping his Deere....
Green Witch

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 10:26 am
@cjhsa,
Quote:
I'm waiting for the pic of Gustav humping his Deere....

and here I thought your erotic fantisies only included Ted Nugent.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 10:33 am
@shewolfnm,
Quote:
I do have every intention of learning to use this.

As ehBeth already stated, it's fine for straight stitching. Things like curtains and hems, no problem.

I bought one when I was 15 at a yard sale. I was go through the first of many "Little House on The Prairie" obsessions. I hemmed a lot of shawls and bandanas (hey, it was the 70's). I eventually gave it to a girlfriend when I started traveling. Since then I have used more sophisticated machines and for "real" sewing they can't be beat. Clothing wise, it's cheaper to buy ready made.

The machines do have artistic merit and are great conversation pieces at parties.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 12:39 pm
@shewolfnm,
shewolfnm wrote:
Then get a piece of plastic to cover the sewing machine top with and place my plants on top of that while not in use.
please don't do this

shewolfnm wrote:
Should I oil the wood? Or just let someone else do that stuff?
get some Murphy's Oil Soap - start with that.

shewolfnm wrote:
What about the dark iron legs? I went to wash them with a cloth, using nothing but water, and some of the finish is flaking off.
Probably something else I need to leave to a professional.
no water. You've already got enough stuff with rust on it. Wipe the legs down with the Murphy's as well.

Once you've done some basic cleaning, and got a quote on a tune-up, you can decide what happens next.

This machine doesn't really do anything except go forward, so you don't really need a manual.

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 01:53 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

shewolfnm wrote:
Then get a piece of plastic to cover the sewing machine top with and place my plants on top of that while not in use.
please don't do this

will that damage the top?

I will get some Murphys tonight. I completely forgot about that product. Thanks Smile
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 02:21 pm
@shewolfnm,
Guess what............

They still make those, and sell them all over the world. There are LOTS of countries which do not have reliable electricity and when something works, you stick with it. I used to see them at times at the WalMart at Aberdeen when a bunch of them would miss the ship they supposed to be on in Baltimore, they'd go for about $70, and this was about ten or twelve years ago. Try calling Singer and asking about them.

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 04:59 pm
@gungasnake,
Really?
they make them just like this one?

oh.. wow.! I bet they are beautiful
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2008 06:15 pm
@shewolfnm,
It's certainly a beautiful Singer. My grandmother used to have one, and I remember it was quite an art in itself to be able to use that thing.

I have an electric, modern sewing machine and it's quite handy for small and
big jobs. I used to sew a lot more - pillows, duvet covers, curtains...
0 Replies