Is there asbestos in old Singer sewing machines?(Model 291U3)

Reply Tue 19 Mar, 2019 11:22 pm
Hi I am wondering whether if there is asbestos in old singer sewing machines Model 291U3? Is there any in the motor?Is there any in the electrical insulation e.g wiring, washers? Also please don't tell me to contact Singer(they don't know as well) or to have someone look at it. I prefer to only do that as a last resort. Thanks in advance
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,025 • Replies: 2
No top replies

engineer

Reply Wed 20 Mar, 2019 06:12 am
@shiba2666,
If there is, it's likely not a problem. The issue with asbestos in building materials is when you cut into them or they break, the particles go airborne and people breathe them in. As long has you don't take a saw to your sewing machine, you should be fine.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 21 Mar, 2019 03:07 pm
I just Googled: Is there asbetos in my vintage sewing machine.

Lots of help/opinions turned up. Here's one:

"No. The white is not asbestos. It's oxidized lead. Another little thing to be careful of! The foot controller might still have two asbestos washers inside between the ceremic and the external casing. I usually replace the washers with phenolic ones while wearing eye protection, a dust mask and gloves. I use kerosene to clean the lead tube as well as possible. You basically don't want the oxidation to be falling into the gear beneath and getting ground up."
0 Replies