Wine cabinet - where is it from!!?

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2015 01:10 am
My mother inherited a small wine cabinet with carvings on it. We are not sure about where it's from and who/what company manufactured it. I am hoping that someone here has seen it before and can help me know anything about it. We suspect it came from Shanghai possibly more than 70 years ago...??

Click on the link for pictures. Let me know if it doesn't work. Thanks.

http://postimg.org/gallery/1k1s6hbbw/8bdecfcd/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,200 • Replies: 3
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2015 05:12 am
@Cloyphish,
I think you are correct.From the nature of the fairly rough carving along the margins and the fact that the primary and secondary woods are all the same is a sort of give-away.
Id say it was made inSE Asia in the last century. A lot of these kinds of decorative and functional wood pieces were made in the Phillipines, and along the Malay Peninsula and marketed out of Singapore over the last century. The hinges almost look Arts and Crafts so Im only guessing that it may be as late as the 19 "teens" through just before WWII.

I dont know if Ive helped you (I assume I didnt tell you anything you didnt already know) but the fact that all the woods are the same and of a mahogany case and back boards, this is a clue that SE Asia was "home" for this . It was probably a Spanish pr Portuguese derived template and had been modified over the years by the SE Asian craftsmen who did the jointery and carving.
Even though we say much of this kind of furniture was made for the "export market" ,Im sure a certain amount was retained within the countries of origin for the upper classes to use for storing wines.
I recall seeing similar storage bars in the Phillipines at mine executive compounds.

0 Replies

Cloyphish

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2015 06:17 am
You're amazing. Thank you so much! Considering I knew nothing, this is all new information.. I'm always happy hear more and I'll continue my research. Thanks!
PUNKEY

Reply Sun 27 Sep, 2015 07:10 pm
@Cloyphish,
Liquor cabinet not wine cabinet
0 Replies