Why I can't vote for McCain

JTT

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 01:51 pm
Quote:

From the comments on the Just Because McCain Says He’s a “Maverick” Doesn’t Make It So post:

fiver Says :

A high school friend of mine had an old Maverick. It had lots of miles and was pretty run down. It didn’t always start in the winter, and it overheated pretty easily if you drove it to far. On the highway it generally pulled to the right, but it could change direction in an instant - almost so fast you couldn’t remember the original direction.

Of course it used a ton of gas, burnt oil and created clouds of smoke. But every time my buddy got pulled over, he’d tell the cops the car had been towed and spent a long time in the pound. For some reason, that excuse seemed to work all the time…

http://www.crooksandliars.com/
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 02:02 pm
@JTT,
lets see now, he was not so much of a maverick that he would not turn away when a pile of money was put in front of him by the savings and loan crooks, nor even two years ago when a corporation wanted to buy a PBS station in Pittsburgh as I recall and need McCain to pressure the FCC. He was not so much of a maverick that he would hold to his stated beliefs when they were at odds with the christian right who controlled the GOP a few years back, nor now with his stated belief on the qualities that VP should have.

That Maverick bit is PR packaging that has been sold and bought by a gullible American public. In truth the elite in Washington had a deal with McCain, he could play his maverick card and run his mouth in public in support of it so long as he fell in line when the votes mattered and in his dealings out of the public eye (that is to say were most of business is conducted)
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 02:03 pm
That video is so frightening, and gawd forbid if McCain becomes president.
He'll be our worst enemy right among us!
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 03:30 pm
@JTT,
Ever watch one of the Volvos with the 6-cylinder engines which were being made in the 70s and 80s? Looked kind of like destroyers laying down smoke screen in Victory at Sea.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 04:57 pm
Here's some good news about how conservatives are reacting to McCain's temperament - if their numbers are legit.
Quote:

The Pollster
Voter Views on McCain's Temperament

By Jon Cohen
Presumptive Republican nominee John McCain's temperament came under close scrutiny in Michael Leahy's big piece in yesterday's paper, and his disposition may be a factor in the November election. Nearly half of voters in the new Post-ABC poll believe his temperament would hamper the Arizona senator in the White House.

Overall, 48 percent of all Americans in the poll released last week said McCain's temperament would hurt his ability to serve effectively as president. Fewer, 37 percent, said his often strident tenor would make him more successful.

Three in 10 Republicans and about four in 10 conservatives and white evangelical Protestants alike think McCain's temperament would prove to be a negative factor as president. Among independents, the crucial swing voters, nearly half said his temperament would hurt his effectiveness, with independent women particularly apt to take the negative view. (About two-thirds of Democrats agree.)
Ramafuchs

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 06:29 pm
@cicerone imposter,
C i
i am totally fed up with this immatured show business( I dare not use the word Democracy,)
after this lovely noble, intellectual8 years compassionate rule Ron paul is the healing factor in Reps circle( I am not projecting any candidate)
But what we see after this 8 lovely years.
A person who wish to occupy Bush#s toilet and he had a person who wish to wipe out his poe.
My language becomes US enlighs.
Vote the rascals out and chase them till they reach home.
USA with compassionate criminals have no chance to get respect any more.
my name is
Rama
gungasnake

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 06:37 pm
@Ramafuchs,
Dumb question... Were you aware that "hen doo" means "chicken ****" in English??
Ramafuchs

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 06:44 pm
@gungasnake,
Not the chewing gum English.
Are you satisfied?
I will post my views with cut and paste which you find ENGLISH
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 06:45 pm
@Ramafuchs,
How about keeping your promise to me to keep your incoherent rambling off my threads? I would really appreciate that!
Ramafuchs

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 06:58 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I regret sir.
But topics provoke my brain.
In fact i wish to express my regrets before your objections.
still i try to avoid your subjects.
Freedom of speech should be honoured.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 09:03 pm
It seems McCain is fighting Bush, the republican party, and Obama. At his age, I'm not sure he's going to last five rounds. LOL

McCain takes on GOP and Bush along with Obama

By TERENCE HUNT, AP White House Correspondent 56 minutes ago

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - Barack Obama isn't John McCain's only opponent. Sometimes McCain sounds like he's running almost as hard against President Bush and the Republican Party as he is against Obama, his Democratic rival for the White House.

The GOP is guilty of indulging in a spending spree of taxpayers' money, McCain laments. They haven't solved huge problems such as the looming insolvency of Social Security and Medicare, passing on huge IOUs and perplexing issues to future generations instead of fixing them as they had promised. He doesn't name Bush but the implication is clear: It happened on his watch and he signed bills that made the deficit soar.

"We began to value power over principle," McCain said in Colorado Springs, Colo. Some lawmakers turned corrupt and wound up in jail, he told a rally in Albuquerque, N.M.

"Change is coming, change is coming," McCain promised, projecting an image of independence and political populism.

One of his challenges is to separate himself from the unpopular incumbent in the White House and fight against Obama's charge that a McCain presidency would amount to a third term for Bush.

"On the core issues, the economy and the war, he has been joined to Bush at the hip," said Democratic pollster Mark Mellman. "On the other hand, Bush is a lead weight dragging him down. He has to rely on rhetoric to separate (himself) but he can't separate himself on policies important to the American people."

Eager to keep control of the White House, Republicans are keeping their mouths shut about McCain's barbs.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 10:06 pm
Had the Right been more inquisitive, more honest, real citizens, they would have seen thru George Bush and saved their country and the world a whole lot of suffering and pain.

Quote:

[former Bush speechwriter David Frum ]

George W. Bush had very slight executive experience before becoming president. His views were not well known. He won the nomination exactly in the same way that Palin has won the hearts of so many conservatives: by sending cultural cues to convince them that he was one of them, understood them, sympathized with them.

So that made everything else irrelevant in 2000 - as it seems again to be doing in 2008. I do credit George W. Bush with great feats of leadership. In particular, I think his refusal to quit Iraq in 2005-2006 when everybody was urging him to, his insistence on fighting through to success, will be seen as a triumph of strength and conviction that saved the US from potential disaster. But he lacked other important aspects of leadership which is how we got into the mess from which he needed to rescue the country and himself.

Again let me stress: I am not denying that Sarah Palin may have great skills. She may well. I am insisting that neither you, nor I, nor John McCain has any valid reason to believe that she does. This is not an argument about the attributes she lacks. It's an argument about the information we lack. I am pleading with my fellow conservatives: Please demand more and better knowledge before you commit yourselves to a political leader. That's all.

Now, y'all are doing the same thing, and yet the foibles of the man you would place in power stand so naked, so revealing. While there may have been an excuse for the stupidity that was 2000, nothing could ever obscure such a stupid decision in November.

And what has Ms Palin brought to the ticket, simple adulation. Can the thinking adults among you really keep such a facade up for another four years?
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 10:14 pm
@Ramafuchs,
Well have at this one, it has already turned into a place for ideologues to express their political opinion through means of copy and paste.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 10:40 am
@JTT,
It's simple adulation of a beauty queen - and mostly by men. Quite telling where their brains resides. LOL
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 10:47 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

I like John McCain and have long considered him an honorable man and once wanted him to be president more than any other candidate, but his continuing insistence that invading Iraq was a good idea is something I can't accept from him,

Accept this: Both the battle for Iraq and the surge are correct moves by our country.

And this: McCain and Palin will be good for our country were as Obama will be terrible for this country.
McGentrix

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 11:32 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

I like John McCain and have long considered him an honorable man and once wanted him to be president more than any other candidate, but his continuing insistence that invading Iraq was a good idea is something I can't accept from him, and while his hawkishness might not have mattered in a different time this is a time where stupefying hawkishness is the status quo and I can't accept it.

This video has appeals to emotion that I don't condone in an argument, but otherwise captures the McCain that I don't want to see anywhere near the White House very well.

For some reason, I believe that if not this, some other reason would have kept you from voting McCain.
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 01:52 pm
@McGentrix,
It's possible. Candidates tend to do stupid stuff to get elected and McCain's shown a lot more willingness to toe the party line than I ever expected. But then again Obama has done some pandering that I find unacceptable as well. These elections bring out the worst in these liars, and I held McCain in higher esteem before he needed to gain his party's support as its leader just as I did Obama before he started wooing conservatives.

But the only issue I have serious beef with McCain is on his foreign policy. His other differences with Obama are things I don't think would make much of a difference to that many people's lives. People in the US wring their hands over very trivial domestic things in comparison to the kind of problem the Iraqis faces as a result of our invasion. Even this near-collapse of the lending system is trivial in comparison. Hundreds of thousands of people dead, and millions displaced is a bigger deal than "my house is not worth as much as it was" or even "now I may have to rent a mansion instead of owning". To those people those are legitimate personal concerns that just don't affect me (hell I may even move back to take advantage of the cheaper land) personally and I care more about the complete destruction of nations that the militarism is capable of.
H2O MAN

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 01:58 pm
@Robert Gentel,
What issues do you have with Obama?
Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 02:00 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

Accept this: Both the battle for Iraq and the surge are correct moves by our country.

And this: McCain and Palin will be good for our country were as Obama will be terrible for this country.

I think the surge was the right thing to do, and I think leaving Iraq in a power vaccum would be a bad thing to do and I long fought the Democrats trying to end the war that they shouldn't have allowed to start. But either way, the end of the war is pretty much a fait accompli now (because the facts on the ground changed and the Iraqi people already want to claim back their sovereignty) and either candidate is going to have to do pretty much the same thing while trying to jockey for different credit or ways to phrase it.

As to the rest of your commentary, if you want me to accept it you need to make a better case than your insipid ipse dixits. Going around and making vapid political remarks just makes your side look as stupid as you do when you regurgitate these stupid one-liners in lieu of actually making an objective case for your opinion.
H2O MAN

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 02:04 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

H2O MAN wrote:

I think the surge was the right thing to do, and I think leaving Iraq in a power vaccum would be a bad thing to do

What issues do you have with Obama?
0 Replies