High Seas

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 04:19 am
@Francis,
Certainly not - but the inscription (devise) is identical for both Smile
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 04:28 am
@Ionus,
I'm sure you're right on the church work - wasn't blaming the people, it just struck me as odd, not just because of the holiday name, but because saying "thank you" is so automatic when someone is serving you, no matter how much you're paying. But I'm with Farmerman when he questions whether your post might be confusing religiosity and scientific ethics - surely you see they're 2 completely distinct concepts?
Ionus

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 05:30 am
@High Seas,
Quote:
both the Bible and the Koran seem to be supporting scientific research
As does the Talmud....but death supports life. Would you rather have old dogs or puppies because there is only room for one.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 05:33 am
@High Seas,
Quote:
your post might be confusing religiosity and scientific ethics - surely you see they're 2 completely distinct concepts?
Distinct concepts are for analytical purposes only. Science has no ethics that are not based on religion.
spendius

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 06:19 am
Here's one for the Constitution botherers.

It is the proclamation by George Washington in 1789, to establish the Thanksgiving holiday.

Quote:
BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES of AMERICA
A PROCLAMATION
"WHEREAS, It is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favour: And whereof both Houses have, by their joint committee, requested me "to recommend to the people of the United States a day of PUBLIC THANKSGIVING and PRAYER, to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many and signal favours of Almighty God, especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness:"

NOW, THEREFORE, I do recommend and assign Thursday, the TWENTY-SIXTH day of NOVEMBER next, to be devoted by the people of these States to the service of that great and glorious Being who is the beneficent Author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be; That we may then all unite in rendering unto him our sincere and humble thanks for His kind care and protection of the people of this country previous to their becoming a nation; for the signal and manifold mercies and the favourable interpositions of his providence in the course and conclusion of the late war; for the great degree of tranquility, union, and plenty which we have since enjoyed; for the peaceable and rational manner in which we have been enabled to establish Constitutions of Government for our safety and happiness, and particularly the national one now lately instituted' for the civil and religious Liberty with which we are blessed, and the means we have of acquiring and diffusing useful knowledge; and, in general, for all the great and various favours which He has been pleased to confer upon us.

AND ALSO that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations and beseech Him to pardon our national and other transgressions; to enable us all, whether in public or private stations, to perform our several and relative duties properly and punctually; to render our National Government a blessing to all the people by constantly being a Government of wise, just, and constitutional laws, discreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed; to protect and guide all sovereigns and nations (especially such as have show kindness to us), and to bless them with good governments, peace, and concord; to promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue, and the increase of science among them and us; and, generally to grant unto all mankind such a degree of temporal prosperity as he alone knows to be best.

GIVEN under my hand, at the city of New York, the third day of October, in the year of our Lord, one thousand seven hundred and eighty nine."

Thanks to okie.

I assume anti-IDers will wish to revise it slightly and replace references to God with the "Blind and Random Forces of Evolution". Which I have to agree would make more sense in view of all the circumstances apart from the fact that it is pretty silly to find yourself thanking such an entity and especially in this day and age of oversupply of delicious foodstuffs most of which are vastly superior to turkey and pumpkin such as steak and kidney pie with chips, mushy peas and gravy, double bread and butter and HP sauce and jam roly-poly with runny custard.

Anyway--I hope you were all suitably pious with your devotions yesterday.

BTW-- the Grand Master of cheap turkey production, Mr Bernard Matthews, who coined the advertising catchphrase "bootiful", died yesterday aged 80. He had been under a cloud in recent years after a whistle-blower exposed the methods he employed to manufacture designer turkey.

I've been inside an industrial scale turkey production unit and I've never touched turkey since. I prefer beans on toast.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 06:21 am
I gather that the US population in that year was 3.9 million.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 06:36 am
Science research is amoral. THats just a fact. Its the applications that are derived from a moral philosophy (whether religion or natural law based). We created an atomic bomb to end the war with Germany, but used it on Japan, and weve been trying to get the genie back in the bottle ever since. Who bears what responsibity for what consequence?

To demand that "moral" science must be religious based to be "right thinking" is silly and childish reasoning. We are now in a debate about stem cell research because it conflicts with several mainstream Christian beliefs(beliefs . I can laud those whose beliefs are unwavering but I cant condone their attempts to stop the research that would benefit millions. When unwavering religious beliefs and science conflict, I dont see what science can honestly do about it. Following and developing a process or unlocking a secret of nature is in our very nature. Religions are always accomodating their belief systems every time we unlock a new secret of the world, especially when the unwavering religious beliefs are selectively employed by employing some vague directive from some "sacred text". The religions always (sooner or later) back off and redirect their troops.

The religious will grouse about whats moral and yet lets recall that todays routine procedures (like blood transfusion, and organ donations) were, until a few generations ago, considered to be immoral acts by a large amount of christianity and, that belief is still held by a small percentage.

Mnay times, the religious sacred texts are conflicting on the same subjects. I listed several Biblical writesr whose contributions could be interpretetd as a "green light" for med research, yet, in the same book are constraints that seem to show how th etext it self is internally inconsistent.
Ionus

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 07:01 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
To demand that "moral" science must be religious based to be "right thinking" is silly and childish reasoning.
Yet again you have misread. I didnt demand anything. I SAID the only morals science has are based on religion.

Did you ever read Shelley ? I keep asking you but you wont answer.

Quote:
Mnay times, the religious sacred texts are conflicting on the same subjects.
Agreed.

Quote:
I listed several Biblical writesr whose contributions could be interpretetd as a "green light" for med research, yet, in the same book are constraints that seem to show how th etext it self is internally inconsistent.
No arguments there...but if someone gives you permission to dig a hole they dont expect it to go to China.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 07:06 am
@failures art,
Quote:
Quote:
No, scientific facts are short and simple, like E=mc^2.
Based on the theory of relativity.
How did you sneak this in without me noticing ?
Anyway, the Theory of Relativity is far bigger than that. E=mc^2 is a fact that is a part of a theory...what I have been arguing.....not what you claim, the other way around.
spendius

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 07:14 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
I can laud those whose beliefs are unwavering but I cant condone their attempts to stop the research that would benefit millions.

You should have "might" instead of "would" fm. We do not know the nature of this particular genie which is on the way out of the bottle. I assume that the Holy Father has taken advice from experts about the matter and that promoters of SCR are unlikely to be disinterested.

I know little about the matter, as is the case with most things, but I understand that the creation and subsequent destruction of the human embryo is where the controversy lies. So there are two strands to the debate. One involving that destruction and one not. The former case impinges on the abortion issue and might be seen as a slippery slope towards the violation of the sanctity of human life.

SCR using the destruction of the human embryo should not be confused with SCR of the other sort.

The benefits are "anticipated" and "might" happen. And the technology could be applied for other less laudable purposes. We not only do not know whether the research will "benefit millions" but we also don't know which millions. Keeping the declining elderly alive for longer has drawbacks for the young and for the economic system generally. It possibly represents the most dramatic challenge we face.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 07:50 am
@Ionus,
E=mc^2 has always struck me as a stab in the dark at finding a shorthand for "very large". I would take some convincing that the equation is accurate. I can believe that the energy from the conversion of matter is very large but I doubt that E=mc^2 can ever be verified accurately. I think it is tabloid science. A presentation for the masses. True poetically.

But I'm willing to be persuaded.
farmerman

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 09:40 am
@spendius,
what do you think of F=Ma or F=Mv^2 ? compare them to E=Mc^2. have you ever taken basic mexchanics in HS physics?.

AS far as stem cells, its not an either or. there are several kinds of stem cells of which EMbryonic offer the most viable ability to differentiate into anything. SOmatic stem cells dont, and iPSC's (induced pluripoptent SC's) arent all perfect either. The JApanese have come up with a way to extract ESC's from umbilical cords and it works. The problem with the religious bullshit in SCresearch was that their was a groundswell among the thumpers to make an argument that "Every sperm is sacred" while the actual research into the pluripotent and umbilicus stem cells wouldnt have happened until some ESC's were used . In other words, stopping A:LL research , when that research provided a means to discover that there were many ways to skin this one, was stupid. SO instead, the religious convinced the Bush regime to forego research funding,(ALL that did was send the research overseas and didnt help the overall program at all )
spendius

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 10:36 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
what do you think of F=Ma or F=Mv^2 ? compare them to E=Mc^2. have you ever taken basic mexchanics in HS physics?.

I don't think anything about that stuff fm. I changed direction in my mid-twenties towards human behaviour. I had realised that the "brain game" wasn't the route. It seemed to me to produce tunnel vision. The main thing I retained was the scientific method and I learned that people didn't like the severities of it. And it's a long while ago now and I occasionally meet people from my science past and they are all still skint and playing chess and bridge. They seem to be hiding away under technical certainties. Quiz Nite fodder.

I would say that your criticisms should be directed at Mr Bush for being persuaded. The religious are saddled with their theology which they can't revise on a flavour of the month basis. So the buck really stops with the electorate who picked Mr Bush twice.

The Church needs time to think through implications of research of that nature because it is an international organisation dealing with congregations in various stages of development and I think it remiss of you to think provincially and thus easily arrive at your usages such as "stupid". Complex issues are involved theologically and the Church isn't ready to fall victim to the promises of those who are bidding for funding which can be guaranteed to present a view through a rosy glass.

Suppose SCR is a "magic bullet" and, once in mass production, cheap. And adds 30 years to life spans. Are you ready for that? Or potential side-effects as happened with treatments for dwarfism.

What is the outcome when a treatment which has been used on millions is discovered to have unforseen long term effects and withdrawn by the FDA?

Anybody can take a simplistic view and see something of that nature in isolation. Tunnel vision can cause that. Take Thalidomide as the classic example. Many of us owe our lives to anti-biotics but that shouldn't mean we lose sight of potential risks when they are used too liberally for conditions which a healthy body can often cure itself of in the same amount of time.

I think you might have more influence if you stopped using words like "religious bullshit", "thumpers" and "stupid". They give you away as being hysterically committed, and insecure, and that isn't scientific.

0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 10:41 am
Too many people suffer from White Coat Syndrome. They put too much faith in "experts" and not enough in themselves.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 10:45 am
Quote:
Today, unenlightenment is worn proudly, like a badge.
(By Janice Kennedy, Ottawa Citizen, November 25, 2010)

OTTAWA - The Flat Earth Society really exists. Who knew?

Not just a metaphor for the determinedly dumb, it actually has a website and members. Any day now, I expect one of its adherents to announce a run for the United States presidency.

Well, why not?

The world's most powerful nation is leading the way in the ignorance boom that characterizes our age. A groundswell of wilful obtuseness has spread over the land, clearing the way for people who talk (with straight face) about such causes as creationism or the global conspiracy of climate-change science.

That is the only way to explain the puzzling popularity of at least two contenders for the 2012 race.

Mike Huckabee, former Arkansas governor and host of a Fox News talk show, is an evangelical Christian fundamentalist, and a creationist. As governor, he supported teaching creationism in schools - and not as allegory. Kids should know the world was created in six days, right?

And Sarah (``Drill-baby-drill'') Palin is also keen on creationism in schools - not to mention blurring the line between church and state, according to her new book.

Both think they have a right to occupy the most powerful office on the planet. And amazingly, large numbers of their countrymen are not mortified by the very thought.

What in the world is happening?

When did spectacular unsuitability for a job become a virtue? When did public stupidity cease to be a liability?

This aggressive ignorance is something new. (The aggressiveness, that is, not the ignorance.) A generation ago, most people didn't mount soapboxes and humiliate themselves by spouting nonsense. If they truly believed the moon landing was a hoax, secretly filmed in Hollywood with a script by Arthur C. Clarke, most of them had the sense to keep their mouths shut.

They don't today. Today, unenlightenment is worn proudly, like a badge.

All taxes are evil. So are all impulses toward social welfare and justice - that is, Nanny Statism. Immigrants and rights activists are not to be trusted. And climate change is a leftist fabrication.

In an earlier age, holders of such views would have faced a merciless barrage of hooting and derision. But not now.

The vigorous rise of the resolutely dopey did not actually begin with the creation of Fox News in 1996. The network that gives us Bill O'Reilly and Glenn Beck, smart guys who know how to push stupid buttons, has certainly facilitated the dissemination of benightedness. But it has done so in a complementary manner.

No, the real genesis of our ignorance boom began a few years earlier, when modern communications technology took off like a bullet. Over the two decades since its opening up, the Internet has undergone an evolution that has seen everyday people chatting in online forums, then posting commentaries on news stories, then finally spreading their word via blogs and social networks, including those networks that eschew words for video or that encourage pygmy thoughts in 140 characters. And with the proliferation of smart phones, all these broadcast platforms for Everyman have become not only universally available, but ubiquitous and instant.

The enhanced communication has been wonderful in many ways, linking friends and family, airing diverse views, encouraging healthy public debate. The downside is it has also allowed ignorance to run riot.

Mis- and disinformation, old fears and prejudices, breathtaking knowledge gaps - all share the same stage, all bathe in the same spotlight glow as thoughtful contributions and informed opinions. The Internet is the great democratizer. Everyone has a voice, and every voice can be heard. Including those that should stifle themselves.

Even standard computer programs encourage virtual democratization. Using simple tools to create professional-looking documents and websites, we can wrap the most egregious garbage in fabulous packaging, encouraging the notion that our sow's ears are really silk purses.

Add to these realities the presence of the radio and television talk show - hardly a new phenomenon, but one that has exploded in popularity, thanks to our Internet-led dumbing down - and you have the perfect complement. Shockingly ignorant things are said, repeated and, magnified a millionfold by the populist momentum of cyberspace and sensationalist talk shows, accorded a credibility once unthinkable.

The Flat Earth Society becomes respectable.

The Palins and Huckabees of the world are made possible.

The future looms as a bleak and frightening possibility.

If conservatism is characterized in part by its reverence for the past, maybe it's time for all of us, even liberals, to consider going conservative briefly - just long enough to retrieve some of the values of the good old days

We'd remember a time when thoughtfulness was appreciated. When eloquence and intelligence were qualities we valued in our leaders. When stupid people knew enough to shut up.

And when ignorance was something we did not celebrate.
High Seas

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 11:03 am
@wandeljw,
The journalist you quote would have done well to stick with creationism and the flat earth and leave "climate change" out of her text. By including that third item she compromises her credibility on the first 2. Btw I think either Huckabee or Palin would do a better job than the current officeholder.
farmerman

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 11:30 am
@High Seas,
I agree that Climate Change has become politicized and that nthe data doesnt support CO2 as a keader.

AS far as Mike Huckabee , hes in the same pocket as his ALaskan colleague. Most of them are bought and owned by several interests, including the Insurance gang.

If the economy turns mightily, Obama wont be touchable. If it tanks further because theGOP will try to balk and choke, then they could nominate Minimouse and the stupid electorate will fall for her.

If, as the Britgit said "we elected Bush twice, We almost didnt elect him the first time and we got burnt in his second term
Remember at the first election, Bush was not the popular choice. SAAo the electorate did their job, its just that we are saddled with this antiquated electoral college.

High Seas

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 11:35 am
@Ionus,
I can't agree. Science per se has neither ethics nor morals - how could it? Religion doesn't even come close to any interference - and must be kept away.

If you don't look, how can you ever hope to find? And theories like continental drift (Africa and South America do fit together) or why rotating drills make holes faster than stationary ones with the application of equal force (both obvious to any schoolchild looking at a map or hammering a nail) had to wait a long time for proofs. In fact the first physics text I saw stated the second theory wrong - for all I know some textbooks may still have it wrong:
Quote:
For example, it was believed--it was discovered--that motion does not affect the weight of a thing--that if you spin a top and weigh it, and then weigh it when it has stopped, it weighs the same. That is the result of an observation. But you cannot weigh something to the infinitesimal number of decimal places, parts in a billion. But we now understand that a spinning top weighs more than a top which is not spinning by a few parts in less than a billion. If the top spins fast enough so that the speed of the edges approaches 186,000 miles a second, the weight increase is appreciable--but not until then. The first experiments were performed with tops that spun at speeds much lower than 186,000 miles a second. It seemed then that the mass of the top spinning and not spinning was exactly the same, and someone made a guess that the mass never changes.

How foolish! What a fool! It is only a guessed law, an extrapolation. Why did he do something so unscientific? There was nothing unscientific about it; it was only uncertain. It would have been unscientific not to guess. It has to be done because the extrapolations are the only things that have any real value. It is only the principle of what you think will happen in a case you have not tried that is worth knowing about. Knowledge is of no real value if all you can tell me is what happened yesterday.
spendius

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 11:37 am
@wandeljw,
I think Janice is a bit confused wande.

One of the values of the good not-so-old days was that women were deemed so devious and incapable of telling the truth that they were not allowed to give evidence in court even under oath.

Quote:
The future looms as a bleak and frightening possibility.

Perhaps Nanny Janice will save us all.

Odd how it is Fox News she sticks on her coconut shy. Does she work for PBS?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 26 Nov, 2010 02:55 pm
Quote:
....when morals cease to be a matter of tradition and orthodoxy---that is, of the habits of the community formulated, corrected and elevated by the continuous thought and direction of the Church---and when one man is to elaborate his own, then personality becomes a thing of alarming importance.

T.S. Eliot.

I don't necessarily agree with that, of course, but it is sufficiently persuasive of an argument to allow that the religious section might have it at the back of their minds even if it is couched in cruder terms.

Whatever--it requires an answer. The Church originally came to power because of the hopelessness of a bunch of loose cannons in all corners of Europe. The loose cannons eventually voted it into power themselves.
0 Replies