Latest Challenges to the Teaching of Evolution

Ionus

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2010 09:12 pm
@rosborne979,
Quote:
Maybe our bodies are just getting bigger faster than our brains are.
No. Neanderthals were bigger physically AND had a bigger brain to body ratio.
spendius

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 07:40 am
@Ionus,
Size of head has always been a factor in our recorded history. Note the exaggeration of crowns, coronets, diadems, garlands, headbands, headdresses, wreaths, stetsons etc. They are associated with monarchs, potentates, rulers, sovereigns, thrones etc.

Bighead is correlated with egomania. Pinhead with stupidity.

Brains and the Treens had large heads on small bodies.

Maybe the Oxford experts had a "Big I am" upbringing and are looking for validation.

Ionus

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 08:06 am
@spendius,
Over-sized suits of armour, cod pieces, large thrones, the list is long of where over compensating can take people.
High Seas

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 09:25 am
@Ionus,
True, but this shrinking-brain development (in absolute terms) is a very recent phenomenon in human evolution:
Quote:
the human brain appears to have been shrinking over the last 5,000 or so years.....".. we do know from archaeological data that pretty much everywhere we can measure — Europe, China, South Africa, Australia — that brains have shrunk about 150 cubic centimeters, off a mean of about 1,350. That's roughly 10 percent,"
spendius

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 09:53 am
@Ionus,
I can't abide over-compensators personally. I used to do a bit myself. E Type Jag. S Type. Zephyr 6 with Overdrive. Shot cuffs. ******* bracelet would you believe? Gold mind you. I was pretty bad. Not as bad as some mind you. Never aftershave. I wouldn't have gone that far. Tattoos were right out. I hate pricks. I have sensitive skin. I even tried a Gents Hairstyling salon. Once.

I was in a pub one night chatting up a slut and giving her the cues. I had her eyes glistening in anticipation. Anyway I went for a piss and the pan was half way up the wall on which there was a full length mirror so you could watch yourself. I looked myself in the eye and said to myself--By heck mate--you're a bastard--taking advantage of this sweet young innocent English Rose like this. What a wanker you are!" For a brief moment I felt ashamed but I was in over my head by then so I returned to her side, then her front and then her back. A Freudian would have said I repressed the thought. Which I must have done.

But not very well. It came back. It did remind me of my Christian manners.

After a while of it keep being repressed and keeping coming back the latter started to get the better of me and then I read Veblen's famous book on serious over-compensation which I was in a state of mind to see the funny side of. Especially when I was watching it all being acted out in front of my eyes for real. At different levels of course.

Anyway, I slowly slipped into what over-compensators would call the slippery slope to idle degeneration or somesuch. But having determined that I was a wanker and reading some stuff about "finding the real you" it seemed the only choice I had was to drift in that direction but to keep up enough of appearances needed for financial and social reasons.

Now I sprawl across my sofa being waited on hand and foot by the slut I mentioned earlier whose glistening tears of joy I could never bring myself to turn into any other sorts of tears and watching over-compensators going through their paces and sometimes betting on the outcomes. So I like over-compensators really.

And the fun of betting on them can be had for free on rjb's NFL Pick-Um game. I am the current holder of the Title. And lead this year's rankings by a narrow margin. After ci. had predicted I would finish near the bottom presumably using his scientific expertise.

0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 09:55 am
@spendius,
Well perhaps by Christmas you will have finished coloring the one book you own; someone might buy you a second one, even.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 10:08 am
@High Seas,
Perhaps we are evolving into monkeys HS. The monkeys you see, bearing in mind the trend shown by your science, must be millions of years ahead of us. Perhaps teaching evolution is designed to accelerate our progress.

It could even be that evolution itself has decided that intelligence is a dead loss.

What's your explanation? The bare facts don't take us very far. There's no effect without a cause according to scientists. The Creationists might have some of the details wrong but in assigning an eternal first cause they do at least stick to that fundamental scientific principle.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 10:18 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

Quote:
Maybe our bodies are just getting bigger faster than our brains are.
No. Neanderthals were bigger physically AND had a bigger brain to body ratio.

An observation which doesn't alter the possibility that our bodies are growing faster than our brains.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 10:27 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:
Quote:
The theory of evolution is a scientific fact.
No it isnt.
Yes. It is.
Ionus wrote:
Facts are short sharp and simple.

Maybe in your mind they need to be. But in science, theories can be considered facts. And within science the theory of evolution is considered to be a fact.
spendius

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 11:48 am
@rosborne979,
Quote:
But in science, theories can be considered facts. And within science the theory of evolution is considered to be a fact.

That gets everybody off every hook. As such it is meaningless.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 01:05 pm
@spendius,
Drunk
Laughing
High Seas

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 05:33 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
Alas - that would be only a temporary condition. In the case of our pre-Elizabethan, medieval morality play "Fool", or post-Elizabethan "Clown" as you so rightly pegged him from the start, this poster's condition is permanent. There's nothing to be done about it - other than hope he sees the light eventually.
High Seas

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 05:40 pm
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

Brains are not the seat of everything. There are knots in the spinal column left over from ancestors long extinct that help control movement. ...There is a good argument to be made for chemical memory to reside in organs.....organ transplants have had remarkably clear memory of the deceased most traumatic events.....

I'm sure that's true; I follow Chinese apps on non-embryonic stem cells - you want organs? give us the specs, we got millions of prisoners on tap under sentence of death, we deliver next day! - and there's no doubt adult cells retain their memory even after being "cleansed"of all epigenetic material.
spendius

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 05:48 pm
@High Seas,
You might try addressing my points instead of going off on a fanciful rant HS. How on earth have you become habituated to thinking that what you say there has any point?

Are your social contacts stupid or do they allow you to thrumm away like that in order to keep you happy like one does with babies? It has to be one or the other.

Does it bother you that scientists, whose most fundamental rule is that every effect has a cause, have no cause for all you see about you? Or ever will have. That the Big Bang just poofed it for no particular reason and with no point or meaning. Out of nothingness.

spendius

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 05:50 pm
@High Seas,
What about pig's organs?
dyslexia

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 05:51 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
the Big Bang just poofed it for no particular reason and with no point or meaning. Out of nothingness.
really? BBT is not a theory about the origin of the universe. Rather, it describes the development of the universe over time.
spendius

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 05:57 pm
@dyslexia,
I accept that dys. What's time?
High Seas

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 06:00 pm
@dyslexia,
Don't mind him - he's suffering from a delusion, to wit, that he, and he alone, is privy to the primum mobile Dante wrote about. He figures only a god can contradict him, and in that sense he may well be right - haven't seen too many gods posting on this forum, have you?! Happy Thanksgiving to you Smile
spendius

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 06:10 pm
@High Seas,
It's in all the books your teachers hid away for reasons of their own. It's old hat actually. I never had an original thought in my life.
High Seas

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2010 06:27 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

I never had an original thought in my life.

Truer words were never spoken - are you sure you're feeling all right?!