Latest Challenges to the Teaching of Evolution

High Seas

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 07:20 pm
@High Seas,
Edit sorry am at an airport on slow connection and can't even post the thumbnail. Perhaps someone can look it up?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 07:22 pm
Yeah, that's been posted here before, but i don't think it's been posted in this thead . . .

http://annieinfinite.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/then-a-miracle-occurs-cartoon.png
High Seas

Reply Wed 6 Oct, 2010 07:48 pm
@Setanta,
Thank you so much - yes, that's the one. I hope it doesn't vanish, as copyrighted content tends to do after a while. Did you get it here?
http://www.sciencecartoonsplus.com/pages/gallery.php
farmerman

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 05:06 am
@High Seas,
When I posted that phrase, it was an homage to the above cartoon.
High Seas

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 05:40 am
@farmerman,
It's a wonderful cartoon, true of many mathematical "proofs" found to be deficient upon closer examination. I'm glad Setanta posted it as I couldn't locate a non-copyrighted source; btw, the entire "geology" section on the cartoon link might be used for illustrating your forthcoming magnum opus Smile
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 05:50 am
@farmerman,
We all know what a miracle is. Could you, fm, be explicit about steps 1 and 3. They have me in need of an explanation more that step 2 does.

Any other little subjective sniggerer, who is doing a Derrida on it, unwittingly of course, is welcome to contribute his or her two-pennyworth.

If step 1 is a mathematical expression for the Big Bang and step 3 for the return to the infinite mass compressed to infinitessimal size, then one glance out of the widow explains the miracle. Even the DIY store where the gear to construct an authentic currach can be purchased with a plastic card is something of a miracle.

Anyway--that's neither here nor there. Be explicit about steps 1 and 3 so we all know what we are talking about.

High Seas

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 06:09 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

We all know what a miracle is. .... Be explicit about steps 1 and 3 so we all know what we are talking about.

This will be post 6,666 on this thread - perhaps a miracle meeting your (unspecified) definition is now imminent?!
spendius

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 06:31 am
@High Seas,
Google the Venus of Willendorf, a portrait of the feminine of about 25,000 years ago, a very recent event in Darwinian time, and take a look at yourself in a frock shop full length mirror.

Compare the front views. That's a miracle at a speed evolution can't hold a candle to. A transcendence of deterministic processes after 2,000,000 years, some say 4,000,000 years, just by word magic. In the beginning was the word.
High Seas

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 07:09 am
@spendius,
Granting the 2nd step in your syllogism, to wit the miracle, step 1 would be that the statuette you mention (sculpted with no face, arms, or feet) represented a living woman, and step 3 would be that a mirror reflecting my image would show a beauty. Since the intention of that paleolithic sculptor is unknowable and since you've never seen me or a picture of me, your entire sequence is based on blind faith and about as probable as this dialogue:
http://www.sciencecartoonsplus.com/gallery/darwin/sharris_darwin10.gif
spendius

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 07:28 am
@High Seas,
I assume the figurine was a paleolithic man's equivalent of a top shelf magazine prepared with obvious loving care for long hunting trips to remind him and his fellow hunters of the cause of their tribulations and their devotion to it.

I plead guilty to a blind faith in your Christian charms. I would be sorry to hear that it was misplaced faith.

Only an anti-IDer would see the Venus in you because his attitudes derive from nothing but biology, in which his logic cannot be faulted, rather than from art about which he can know nothing except that "art shops" sell products which he can parley into status symbols providing his audience is stupid enough. Or cowed enough by his bombastic pomposity.
spendius

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 07:40 am
@spendius,
It certainly is a miracle that one might take $200 into an art shop and swap them for some paint, a few brushes, a canvas, an easel and a smock and be thereby transfigured into an "artist".
spendius

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 07:42 am
@spendius,
It's also a miracle that one can prove God is un-necessary because some nun whacked your arse.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 07:49 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
I plead guilty to a blind faith in your Christian charms.

Would your faith in my "Christian charms" be shaken to any degree if I were to disclose that I was baptized in Geneva's Cathédrale St-Pierre, Calvin's own cathedral? If not - we better brace ourselves for a sternly worded reminder by Setanta of our obligation towards fellow posters to "get a room" Smile
Setanta

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 07:56 am
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:
. . . sternly worded reminder by Setanta of our obligation towards fellow posters to "get a room"

Yeah . . . would ya please ? ! ? ! ? I hate it when people quote that gobshite, there 's a danger that i might actually read something the old dypsomaniac wrote.
Setanta

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 07:57 am
@High Seas,
High Seas wrote:
Thank you so much - yes, that's the one. I hope it doesn't vanish, as copyrighted content tends to do after a while. Did you get it here?
http://www.sciencecartoonsplus.com/pages/gallery.php

Naw . . . i just typed "and then a miracle occurs" in the google search window, and then selected images. From there, i picked the best version of that cartoon that i could find.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 08:00 am
@High Seas,
The real reason the dinosaurs became extinct.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Jo7lJoQhtjw/SdKDhfTf6GI/AAAAAAAAE3s/jfl0DJ_1yzQ/s400/The_Real_Reason_Dinosaurs_Became_Extinct.jpg
spendius

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 08:13 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
I hate it when people quote that gobshite, there 's a danger that i might actually read something the old dypsomaniac wrote.

Exactly. "Danger" being the right word. Something to be frightened of.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 08:28 am
@Setanta,
Smokers will see non-smokers off on straightforward Darwinian principles. Any culture in which fear of dying overcomes pleasure and boosts to the imaginative powers is doomed.

Quote:
"Einstein was very passionate about his pipe smoking.
spendius

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 08:50 am
@spendius,
A random list of smokers-- A G Bell, J R Oppenheimer, E Hubble, S Freud, W Churchill, W Clinton, F D R, JFK, B H Obama, G Ford, B Bardot, S Loren, V van Gogh, A Hitchcock, M Davies, G Orwell, O Wilde, J P Sartre, J Lennon, B Dylan, N Mailer, J R R Tolkien, J K Rowling, F Sinatra, J Stalin, M Monroe, M Twain, A Camus, B Brecht, K Richards, E Taylor, R Welch, L Pavarotti, J Wayne, J Cash, A Schwarzenegger (Ticomaya), C Monet, P Picasso, D Maradona, C Guevara, B Marley, Sherlock Holmes, Popeye and li'l ol' me.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 7 Oct, 2010 10:53 am
NEW SCIENCE EDUCATION STANDARDS IN NEBRASKA
Quote:
Rocks part of new science standard
(By Joe Dejka, OMAHA WORLD-HERALD, October 6, 2010)

New Nebraska school science standards are now chiseled in stone: igneous, sedimentary and metamorphic.

The standards for Nebraska public schools, which were adopted on a 7-0 vote Wednesday, are similar to those they replaced. But they do contain a new requirement that middle school students learn the rock cycle — the process by which rocks are formed, dissolved and re-formed.

“I don't know how they got left out of the old standards,” said Jim Woodland, director of science education for the Nebraska Department of Education.

Teachers reviewed the old standards and realized the rock cycle wasn't specifically mentioned, he said.

Officials say the new standards align well to the ACT college entrance test and are better organized to make them easier for teachers to understand and use.

The standards lay out what children should learn between kindergarten and high school graduation. Public schools in Nebraska must adopt the standards, or more rigorous ones, or risk losing accreditation.

“I think we have a serious set of standards here we can truly be pleased to adopt,” State Board member Bob Evnen of Lincoln said Wednesday.

The standards cover essential scientific concepts and theories ranging from the Big Bang Theory to evolution, cellular biology, nuclear reactions, physics and scientific inquiry. They call upon high school students to be able to describe the theory of evolution and apply it to explain the diversity of life over time.

Next spring, the state will pilot a new statewide science test based on the standards. The multiple-choice test will be implemented in 2012 in grades 5, 8 and 11. Woodland said he expects that districts adopting the standards will do so next summer.

This winter, state officials plan to develop a sample science curriculum, based on the standards, to help schools plan their classroom instruction.

To ensure the quality of the standards, Nebraska officials enlisted Nebraska science teachers to review them. At the national level, the standards were reviewed by Achieve, an organization working with states to develop science education standards according to a framework developed by the National Research Council.

Nebraska officials also had the standards reviewed by David Heil & Associates of Portland, Ore., a consulting firm, and by ACT, which produces the popular college entrance exam. ACT examined how well the standards included what's on their test.

“They lined up really well,” Woodland said.

The standards fall under four general headings: Inquiry and the nature of science, physical science, life science and earth-space science.

State officials tried to write the standards to better clarify what should be taught at the various school levels: primary, middle and senior high.

For instance, Woodland said, students in third through fifth grades should know that light goes in a straight line and can be reflected by a mirror. Students aren't expected to master the concept of light refraction or scattering until middle school. They won't learn until high school that light behaves as a wave.

The standards hold teachers accountable for teaching certain concepts at certain grade levels, he said. However, teachers should have some time left after covering required concepts to deviate a little into their own areas of interest, he said.

“We wrote our standards recognizing that we only want to occupy about 80 percent of the classroom time, and still allow that teacher to do a teachable moment,” Woodland said. “If there's an eclipse going on this week, then maybe they want to talk about eclipses.”

The new standards will be reviewed again in five years.