How often has Obama voted "Bush policy"

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 12:16 am
In his DNC speech Obama said:

Quote:
John McCain has voted with George Bush 90 percent of the time. Sen. McCain likes to talk about judgment, but really, what does it say about your judgment when you think George Bush has been right more than 90 percent of the time? I don't know about you, but I'm not ready to take a 10 percent chance on change.

I've been hearing the 90% and 95% metrics for a while now, and am wondering where those come from and what Obama's own "Bush score" would be.

Any super wonks out there who can figure it out? What's Obama's "chance on change" by this metric?

View best answer, chosen by Robert Gentel
Cycloptichorn
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 12:28 am
@Robert Gentel,
Here

http://www.cqpolitics.com/cq-assets/cqmultimedia/flash/votestudy/index.html

McCain 'agree with prez' score - 90. Obama - 40.

Cheers
Cycloptichorn
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 12:36 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Awesome! I wasn't expecting an answer I'd find acceptable for a few weeks. A pity they put their calculation method behind a subscription wall but that's what I was looking for.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 02:45 am
@Cycloptichorn,
So 40 percent of the time Obama agrees with Bush?
Does that mean that if he is elected we will have a slightly different, slightly smaller "Bush Lite" in office?
After all, your own link makes the case that Obama also would do some of the things that Bush has done.
dlowan

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 02:54 am
@mysteryman,
Like breathe, and maintain a defence force and have a budget and appoint people and all?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 06:03 am
@Robert Gentel,
Yeah, I didn't like that part for just that reason.

I guess a 60% chance is better. But still.

By another metric (which I won't link to -- it's the site I work for), Obama agrees with George Bush 32% of the time, and McCain agrees with Bush 83% of the time.

That includes stated opinions, not just votes.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 12:13 pm
It's ridiculous to believe that there will be 100% disagreement with any administration no matter which party one belongs to.

Sometimes it's called "compromise."
0 Replies

mav57

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 11:56 am
@sozobe,
Everyone talks about how bad Bush has done...but siding with him has proved to be a good idea...Let's look at some facts.

Under Bush, 40 MILLION Americans of tax rolls.
Among the lowest unemployment in decades.
NO ATTACK since 9/11 on our soil.--

Remember, 911 took a trillion dollars and 1 million jobs out of our economy.--Bush then had 55 months of straight job growth.

Low interest rates on homes. 6% --- Remember Jimmy Carter? 20%

Can't blame oil prices or mortgage crisis on Bush. I blame Reagan, Bush, Clinton and Bush...they had 30 years of cheap oil..they all should have done something...

Just something to think about.....
0 Replies