Punishers of the Poor

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 09:11 am

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2069739/posts
http://icecap.us/

Quote:
Aug 25, 2008
Several Politicians Named as Punishers of the Poor at Press Conference

Denver, CO"A coalition of leaders from the African American, civil rights, faith-based and veteran communities this week blasted several Members of Congress as “Punishers of the Poor,” saying that they all scored a perfect zero on an affordable energy voting scorecard. The six politicians who earned top honors as the “worst of the worst” among those supporting higher energy prices"and who were memoralized in a Punishers of the Poor deck of playing cards"are these:

Joker: House Speaker Nancy Pelosi
Joker: Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid
Ace of Spades: U.S. Senator Dick Durbin
Ace of Diamonds: U.S. Senator Barbara Boxer
Ace of Clubs: U.S. Rep. George Miller (D-CA)
Ace of Hearts: U.S. Rep. Ed Markey (D-MA)

Streaming video of the press conference to unveil the “Punishers of the Poor” at the Democratic National Convention in Denver can be seen here.

http://stopwaronpoor.org/Default.aspx?tabid=1724

“These six politicians are the leaders and generals in charge of waging an unprecedented war on the poor,” said Niger Innis, National Spokesman for the Congress of Racial Equality and co-chairman of the Alliance to Stop the War on the Poor. “By pushing policies that restrict American energy supply and thus push prices higher, they are delivering daily punishment to low-income and poor families across the nation. What these politicians are doing is immoral, and we intend to wake up the American people to the fact that this war being waged in every city in America today.”

“We call this a war on the poor because high energy prices disproportionately impact America�s poor and low-income families,” said Bishop Harry Jackson, Chairman of the High Impact Leadership Coalition and national co-chair of the Alliance. “With prices expected to rise this winter from 25 to 50 percent, we are in a true crisis. These prices are actually a highly regressive tax on America�s most vulnerable citizens. The war on the poor must stop. To do that, we must increase our supply of all energy resources, including coal, oil and gas, nuclear power"and encourage greater conservation.”

“High prices hit poor families hardest,” said Bishop Phillip Porter, Chair of Colorado Consumers for Affordable Energy and the founder of All Nations Pentecostal Church of God in Christ in Aurora, Colorado. “A recent study shows that while median income families have to devote five cents on a dollar of their income to energy costs, poor families have to devote upwards of 50 cents on the dollar. That is fifty cents they can’t spend on health care, or education or food.” “The poor are being decimated by high energy prices, which are also driving up food costs and other necessities of life,” said Ralph Conner of the non-partisan Heartland Institute

Dennis Sykes, Chairman of Colorado Veterans for Energy Security, “Unless we as a nation become energy independent, we will have to continue sending U.S. troops overseas to die on foreign soil defending our access to foreign energy. That is unacceptable.”

The coalition leaders said the ongoing “punishers of the poor” expose will be bipartisan, with both Republicans and Democrats named as punishers.

Recently in Washington, D.C., leaders from the civil rights, African American, faith-based, senior, agriculture and consumer advocacy communities launched a national campaign to publicly unmask more than 100 politicians and 50 environmental extremist groups that are waging an immoral “war on the poor” by pushing policies that limit America’s ability to produce more America energy and drive energy prices skyward. See more here.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 781 • Replies: 11
No top replies

rabel22

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 09:20 am
@gungasnake,
Where on this list is Bush, Cheney, and the republicans in congress? And where did you get this republican propaganda.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 03:07 pm
Yeah, don't include Bush or Cheney for the higher price of fuel and food; they've been responsible for the highest cost increases in the history of this country/world.

B Clinton:
1999 $16.56 $21.30

George W Bush:
2000 $27.39 $34.16
2001 $23.00 $27.92
2002 $22.81 $27.22
2003 $27.69 $32.34
2004 $37.66 $42.80
2005 $50.04 $54.99
2006 $58.30 $62.11
2007 $64.20 $66.40
2008 Partial $97.98 $98.66

Monthly Average Domestic Crude Oil Prices
U.S. Average
(in $/bbl.)
Month Nominal Inflation Adjusted 2007
Jan-08 $84.70 $86.20
Feb-08 $86.64 $87.92
Mar-08 $96.87 $97.46
Apr-08 $104.31 $104.31
May-08 $117.40 $117.40

0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 06:35 pm
@gungasnake,
Though i am a passive observer and a decent, critical polical follower without flag and patriotism
I give my view from a conservative source.
I mean conservative.
here it is.

Not even a President Obama and a Congress controlled by House Speaker Pelosi and Senate Majority Leader Reid is going to hike taxes enough to pay for all their spending. Indeed, they have shown themselves quite unwilling to engage in honest budgeting. The best example is saddling Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac with $500 million of new (off-budget) obligations to fund cheap housing at a time when the two companies were already on the ropes. Is it any wonder the stock prices of these two companies are imploding?

http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=9599
And this is my view about your country.
I am quite sure things are not so nice as our Dreams .
I beg you to be above the normal flag-waving( read credi-card holders) and expose the hypocracy of your system.

gungasnake

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 06:40 pm
@Ramafuchs,
Spending under W. only looks bad because you haven't had the experience of seeing what spending would have been like under 8 years of an Algore administration. That's without even talking about what going for eight years without the internal combustion engine would have done to our economy.

That being said, nobody on the pubbie side of anything is happy with W. at this point.
Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 06:50 pm
@gungasnake,
just a posive news about NO

NEW ORLEANS (AP) - Lines of people waiting for buses to take them out of the city grew longer Saturday and traffic grew heavier on main highways as Hurricane Gustav strengthened into a dangerous Category 4 storm on track for the Gulf Coast.
A line well over a mile long stretched in six loops through the parking lot at Union Passenger Terminal. Under a blazing sun, many led children or pushed strollers with one hand and pulled luggage with the other. Volunteers handed out bottled water, and medics were nearby in case people became heatsick.

Joseph Jones Jr., 61, wore a towel over his head to block the sun. He'd been in line 2 1/2 hours, but wasn't complaining. During Katrina, he had been stranded on a highway overpass.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=2008-08-30_D92SOHP80&show_article=1&cat=breaking
If i were a person worthy of my name I would have brought this topic as my topic.
Change we need. Hope we have.
waving the flag is
pure patriotism/barbarism
Sheding tears for the unknown people is a drop of revoludtion without blood
gungasnake

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 07:27 pm
@Ramafuchs,
Dumb question here...

Why and how is New Orleans George W. Bush's problem?

Why is anybody living on welfare in such a dangerous and necessarily expensive place?

Assuming we have to have a city at the mouth of the Mississippi river, why is anybody talking about rebuilding a 19'th century city instead of building a 21'th century floating and invulnerable city which we have the technology to do?

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 07:35 pm
@gungasnake,
I have ten million negative comments about the last 8 years Bush regime.
I had not made his responsible for this natural disaster.
But after 3 years one should make a compassionate critical assessment about thouse who had lost their whole life.
I am an athiest and as an athiest I had brought this subject in all the chat forums not only here.
Life is too short and in this short span of life one should show some solidarity.
Tsunami is worse than NOs disaster.
Campare the life of the victims..
Show your conscience and help the neibours.
Enjoy your life according to your taste and disturb not the tranquility of the others..
Perhaps my language is banal but my conscience is not that bad.
Regards
Rama
gungasnake

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 09:29 pm
@Ramafuchs,
Want to talk about care for our brothers and sisters beyond the waves??

What does your atheistic sense of morality tell you about the fricking horrible greens and envirowhacks killing 90,000,000 people, virtually all of them people of color, by banning DDT?
Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2008 09:37 pm
@gungasnake,
Of course
the whole globe is getting worse and worase because of the banal barbaric corporate system.
I am much indebted to BUSH family for one reason.
He had shown the banality of american compassionate system.
I hug the americans but not their way of dreaming to dominate the world.
Typing good English is not my forte but showing civil courage to expose hypocracy yes.
Rama
gungasnake

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 06:16 am
@Ramafuchs,
you didn't really answer the question.
Ramafuchs

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 02:21 pm
@gungasnake,
let me cross my sword with you.
As a communist with Gandhi's out look i had tried my level best to make my view clear.
I am not a student here nor I have any political agenda.
May i beg you to put your Q in simple words?
0 Replies