Hurricane Gustav to Wreak Havoc on Republican Convention?

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 01:07 am
How ironic would that be if the nation's focus is on a major hurricane barreling towards New Orleans at the start of the convention.

God is a Democrat and works in mysterious ways.

nicole415

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 01:16 am
@nicole415,
from nytimes.com

Gustav Threatens Gulf, G.O.P. Convention Plans
By Kate Phillips

Tropical Storm Gustav is already wreaking havoc with the Republican convention plans next week, as it moves toward the Gulf Coast. And the storm’s gathering strength can only serve as a vivid reminder of the Bush administration’s much-derided, delayed response to the devastation wrought by Hurricane Katrina, which slammed into New Orleans three years ago this Friday.

Tomorrow night, on the eve of the day that Katrina barreled into New Orleans, Senator Barack Obama is expected to recognize the anniversary in his acceptance speech at Invesco Field at Mile High Stadium.

Gov. Bobby Jindal, who was scheduled to speak at the Republican convention next Tuesday " the day the storm may hit land " has already declared a state of emergency. The predicted path of the storm at this point suggests it could make land fall in New Orleans, again.

Mr. Jindal, a rising star in the Republican party, said today that he would obviously skip the G.O.P. convention in St. Paul if the storm continues along a possible course toward his state. “My first responsibility is here in Louisiana,” Mr. Jindal said. “As long as the hurricane has Louisiana in its sights, this is where I’ll be. We’re still hopeful that the storm will miss us, but we’ve got to prepare as if it’s coming our way.”

On both sides of the political aisle, Katrina represented a significant downward turning point in public opinion of President Bush and his administration, which initially failed to assess the scope of the destruction.

Photographs of Mr. Bush peering out a window as he did a flyover of the region " his first response in leaving vacation " translated into images that made him appear remote and out of touch with the emotionally wrenching scenes on the ground, where people clung to their rooftops and bodies floated in the swollen waters. And of course, few can forget the line, “Heckuva Job, Brownie,” which Mr. Bush uttered to his FEMA chief, Michael Brown, on his first visit to the region.

With the storm looming, imagine what would have happened if either the Republicans or Democrats had decided, as some had wished, to hold their conventions this year in New Orleans?
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 05:43 am
@nicole415,
Yeah, I posted about Gustav like 4 days ago.

Quote:
God is a Democrat and works in mysterious ways.

The Bulls Eye is New Orleans... Are you saying god hates black people?
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 06:45 am
I guess Gustav will be the true test to see if Barack Obama is, in fact, the Messiah.
parados

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 07:49 am
@H2O MAN,
That could be answered today if it doesn't rain in Denver.

Religious nut cases have been calling on God to make it rain and storm for Obama's speech tonight. I wonder if they will get the message when it doesn't.
H2O MAN

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 07:51 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

Religious nut cases have been calling on God to make it rain and storm for Obama's speech tonight. I wonder if they will get the message when it doesn't.

Religious nut cases have been calling on God to make it rain and storm here
in the SE in an effort to bust the drought for years - the drought goes on...

Tonight's speech should be epic - I hope the weather is excellent.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 01:28 pm
@parados,
Stuart Shepard, director of digital media at Focus Action films himself as he requests Prayers for it to rain on Barack Obama.

Focus on the Family guy Stuart Shepard is asking people, in a video he made, to pray for rain on the day Barack Obama gives his speech in Denver during the Democratic National Convention. Shepard, a one-time TV meteorologist according to KOAA, wants it to start raining two minutes before Obama's speech starts, and he wants that rain to be so hard that it will block out network TV coverage so no one will be able to see or hear Obama's speech during the DNC.

There's power in them prayers.

They may have pulled their video but their prayers have been answered by their God. Shepard was just a little off on the timing and location of the huge rain storm he was praying for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohxdvio9n2Q

nicole415

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 05:34 pm
@parados,
The weather is PERFECT!!!
0 Replies

nicole415

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 05:36 pm
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
...family guy Stuart Shepard is asking people, in a video he made, to pray for rain on the day Barack Obama gives his speech in Denver during the Democratic National Convention.

God is a Democrat and his wrath has reigned down on this heathen Stuart Shepard.

But Family Guy?

http://www.familyguy.com/images/bg_mobledotcom.gif

0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2008 05:49 pm
@nicole415,
nicole415 wrote:

Hurricane Gustav to Wreak Havoc on Republican Convention?

I hope nobody takes the dual threat lightly.

Officials in Gulf states are treating the threat seriously and they are being pro-active.
Contingency plans that never existed before Katrina have already been put in motion.
President Bush has moved key elements into place and there is a second storm that could hit the east coast 1 day after Gustav.

As for the Republican Convention... I would expect it to be rescheduled without issue should the need arise.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/tafb_latest/refresh/danger_atl_latestBW+gif/204513123_sm.gif
0 Replies

johnqpublic123

Reply Mon 1 Sep, 2008 04:03 am
@H2O MAN,
The bullseye is New Orleans. Are you saying New Orleans is a Black city? What About Whites, Chinese, Indians, Pilipinos, Hispanics?

Are you saying they don't count, matter or exist?
0 Replies